Looking to buy a 2019-2020 dodge ram 2500 w/ 6.4

jake

Reaction score
I know this is not the proper forum for the subject but I cannot get a honest answer on the ram forums, just diesel/gasser dick measuring arguments. I have a 2009 dodge ram 1500 right now that I will be selling or trading in and was hoping someone who has a 2500 could get me their likes/dislikes of their 2500 with the 6.4. Thank you in advance.

Seems like there are some in here with similar tow/work/pleasure Rams? What are you wondering about?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I have a 5000lb camper that I will be towing into Colorado this summer hopefully, but the main reason for getting it is to start towing my 880 out to carsile and down to Ohio for shows.

I have a 5000lb camper that I will be towing into Colorado this summer hopefully, but the main reason for getting it is to start towing my 880 out to carsile and down to Ohio for shows.
From my experience, the biggest gain will be from 1500 to 2500. The payload and towing capacity is much better. @polara71 should be able to give you some good info. That said, I had no problems crossing the Rockies with this load (trailer weight was about 8600 lbs) on a 2010 1500. An open trailer would have been much lighter. I had a 2500 with a 5.7 after, and the only real difference was that the equalizer bars didn't need to be snugged up as much.

P6060586.JPG

Last edited:
I have a fully loaded 2011 2500 Laramie with the 6.7 at about 120,000 miles on it now. Bought it brand new and only had one issue with it. At 25000 miles the tranny went. There was an issue with the valve body to filter fitment which caused a loss of fluid in the tranny. They rebuilt it and replaced the valve body. No problems since.

I love the truck and used to pull a 38ft trailer rated around 12000lbs with it. Went everywhere with it and it pulled very well. Used to pass ford and Chevy diesels going up the mountains all the time.
I am actually considering selling it now as I am in the process of downsizing things. I have too many vehicles and want to drive my sport fury more.

We bought an 18 with the 6.4 and 6spd for my mom. Replaced the 96 Cummins Her and Dad had. Would have gotten a 19 but she liked the real gear shift rather than a dial :lol:

Haven't used it as a truck too much yet, towed the fury once on our open trailer, it was fine. We have a heavy 26' enclosed as well that I expect loaded with race gear the Gasser will hang it's tongue out a little. Our diesels have always been turned up, none had any issue with that load.

I know this is not the proper forum for the subject but I cannot get a honest answer on the ram forums, just diesel/gasser dick measuring arguments. I have a 2009 dodge ram 1500 right now that I will be selling or trading in and was hoping someone who has a 2500 could get me their likes/dislikes of their 2500 with the 6.4. Thank you in advance.

Jake,
My last three trucks were a 2013 SLT 5.7 2500 4 dr with an 8 ft bed bought new.

Then a 2015 Laramie 6.4 2500 4 dr 8 ft bed bought with 3000 miles on it.

Now I have a 2018 Tungsten 6.7 2500 4 Dr 8 ft bed.

Of the 3 I preferred the 6.4 the best ( I think) I like this diesel but its too slow . Its a dog from the line, its a dog passing, pulling out in traffic or just trying to pick up speed. It accelerates slower than the 5.7.
I had my 6.4 across the country twice. Once West I rented two different travel trailers , a 26 ft and then a 30 ft. Running through the mountains of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah . Fuel economy was around 9 mpgs towing. She pulled hard but had to rev to do it but she did it . Running through the Snake river plain I cruised at 85 / 90 mph and she cruised so nice.
Not towing she would do 18 / 19 maybe on the highway plains at 80 miles an hour.
I always knew I could pull out in traffic, merge, accelerate as needed. Off the line? She was no SRT but It pulled fast at the floor.

This diesel , :mad: damn this thing. When towing I now know what they mean when they say I never knew it was back there. The mannerisms of the engine / truck are the same under load or empty. It pulls just as strong and at the same pace , loaded or not.
By the way, fuel economy on the Diesel empty is the same as the 6.4 gas empty. Loaded, yes, the diesel is better BUT all in all,
I preferred the 6.4. Remember, mine was a 6 speed auto.

Good luck, show us pictures when you buy your new beast.

... I like this diesel but its too slow . Its a dog from the line, its a dog passing, pulling out in traffic or just trying to pick up speed. It accelerates slower than the 5.7...

A couple of years a go Graham took us out to the wrecker using a 6.7 pulling a flatdeck with a C on it. When entering a road he had to time it right for the lag to be done so we could scoot into traffic. If he would have put his foot into it at the same time with a 6.4, we would have broadsided the guy we were trying to get behind.

Jake,
My last three trucks were a 2013 SLT 5.7 2500 4 dr with an 8 ft bed bought new.

Then a 2015 Laramie 6.4 2500 4 dr 8 ft bed bought with 3000 miles on it.

Now I have a 2018 Tungsten 6.7 2500 4 Dr 8 ft bed.

Of the 3 I preferred the 6.4 the best ( I think) I like this diesel but its too slow . Its a dog from the line, its a dog passing, pulling out in traffic or just trying to pick up speed. It accelerates slower than the 5.7.
I had my 6.4 across the country twice. Once West I rented two different travel trailers , a 26 ft and then a 30 ft. Running through the mountains of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Utah . Fuel economy was around 9 mpgs towing. She pulled hard but had to rev to do it but she did it . Running through the Snake river plain I cruised at 85 / 90 mph and she cruised so nice.
Not towing she would do 18 / 19 maybe on the highway plains at 80 miles an hour.
I always knew I could pull out in traffic, merge, accelerate as needed. Off the line? She was no SRT but It pulled fast at the floor.

This diesel , :mad: damn this thing. When towing I now know what they mean when they say I never knew it was back there. The mannerisms of the engine / truck are the same under load or empty. It pulls just as strong and at the same pace , loaded or not.
By the way, fuel economy on the Diesel empty is the same as the 6.4 gas empty. Loaded, yes, the diesel is better BUT all in all,
I preferred the 6.4. Remember, mine was a 6 speed auto.

Good luck, show us pictures when you buy your new beast.
Thanks Dave, that is the info I was looking for!!

The modern diesels with auto are a bit frustrating as noted. The old ones with a stick suffered no such problem out of the hole

I noticed here in Phoenix one of our largest dealer (Bill Luke) has some brand new 2019's 6.7's left. They are being discounted twice as much as the 2020 6.4's. so that makes them the same price. For the same money I think I'd go with the diesel even from last model year.

wait! No fog lights? Keep looking ...
I will probably put some in if I get it. It is a tradesman package, everything else is out of my price range. It is amazing how much more the 2019 tradesman has in it compared to my 09 slt. My 2 big items that I need are a power rear sliding window and a back up camera so my wife and I do not get divorced hooking up the camper! lol. Everything else is just extra to me.

No doubt, the price is crazy when you go above tradesmen. There was a $75k rig on the lot last summer back in my small home town.

Back