Looking to update wiring in 68 Imperial.

GoneLoco99

Reaction score
Looking to update the factory wiring in my 68 Imperial. Has anyone used this or any other Painless wiring harness, on their Imperial?
B42BD0B0-1131-4475-808F-C7FE828BF80D.png

In my opinion, unless your original wiring has suffered a catrastrophic fire, you are far better off financially and headache-wise to refurbish your harness and do the bulkhead bypass and amp gauge improvements.

That's not an update and from everything I've ever seen, the name "Painless" is incorrect.

It's basically taking a GM style harness and trying to make it fit. Waste of time and money.

IF you were building a street rod from scratch, the Painless kits might be a good option. Replacing a factory harness with a Painless kit, that's ONE BIG PROJECT that might not get finished.

When Painless was started, it was by two street rodders who discovered a niche market in wiring harnesses. Their then-claim to fame was that they used Delco/Packard wire and OEM-level connectors, which was usually better than what other harness people used back then. FWIW

Do the bulkhead/ammeter gauge bypass and be done with it.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

In my opinion, unless your original wiring has suffered a catrastrophic fire, you are far better off financially and headache-wise to refurbish your harness and do the bulkhead bypass and amp gauge improvements.
When you say "refurbish", do you mean replacing every wire with new ones, keeping the connectors ?
Seems to me like a big project also.

Last edited:
No, only repairing needed sections (insulation voids, pinches, melts, etc.), replacing terminal ends where required, removing corrosion from terminals, and doing bulkhead bypass upgrades for high power load circuits (amp gauge).

I hope I'm not being to nosey.
What is the problem with the stock wiring harness?
I've seen a 68 imp wiring harness and the under dash part of it is complex. Personally I'd go out of my way to not mess with it.
Just my .02
Anything is doable with the proper motivation

I’ve used the painless kit, no it isn’t painless lol. It’s very time consuming, like all wiring projects, but it’s quality stuff and the instructions are very helpful for wiring systems together from scratch like starting and ignition. Good kit when fixing a car with a wiring system that’s in shambles.

It's not overly complex though... just work slowly, label EVERYTHING, and take pictures. It just LOOKS complex, but it actually gets less daunting pretty quickly as you go.

Do your research - the improvements and safety upgrades - what to do.

Have the right tools on hand - a good wire crimper, heat shrink tubing, an assortment of male and female terminals, various gauges of replacement wire to do the repIrs with, and the factory wiring diagram.

A service manual wiring harness diagram. Good eyesight and the will to succeed.
I'm curious to know what the issue is with the original.

I had a closer look and not as complex as I remembered. But a whole bunch of connectors to the various imperial doo dads
This one has a butt connector and some other repairs and the usual melting at the bulkhead. But nothing that couldn't easily be fixed

20210720_113938.jpg

Thank you all, much appreciated. Was looking to “update” and have “peace of mind” is all.
How to & what is involved in doing bulkhead bypass upgrades for high power load circuits (amp gauge).

Thank you. Much appreciated
PM me if any questions.
Like John and others said, the painless wiring may not be the best solution.
On 68 Imps the problem areas are headlights,HVAC, and power windows among the usual bulkhead issues.
Chéers.

Last edited:
PM me if any questions.
Like John and others said, the painless wiring may not be the best solution.
On 68 Imps the problem areas are headlights,HVAC, and power windows among the usual bulkhead issues.
Chéers.
Much appreciated. I will definitely be contacting you, here in the near future. Appreciate your help.

Guys, is there a list somewhere or should we create one that has the terminals and where to source them. For example, the twin-lock contacts from the steering column turn signal connector are Aptiv (formerly Delphi) TERM TWIN LK MFG Part No: 02973915-L and available at Mouser.

Back