Look'n not proper inside brake drum...

Glider

Reaction score
I just got the e-brake fixed but driver side wouldn't brake so I took of the drum & found it like this... & I can't get the "plate thing" to sit in a way to stop the adjusting wheel to move, it just lays beside the wheel:

DriveSideRear.JPG

Looks correct to me.........It should adjust itself. When you back up and put the brake on, the shoes will expand lifting that adjuster plate up. Once the shoes are worn down enough, it will click that wheel to spread the shoes apart. If everything is in adjustment, it stays where it is. By the looks of the threads showing, it has been adjusting at some point.

Those starwheel adjustment plates are specific right and left side....I've seen more then one vehicle with them switched, or two of the same side. There is a small notch on theback side that grabs the starwheel if it's installed correctly.

Did you adjust the brakes such that you get a slight drag when turning the tire and rim?

If the brakes are properly adjusted, regardless of the star wheel adjuster plate, you should have brakes at both sides. A test would be to remove the wheel and drum. Then have an assistant press the brake pedal, while you watch for the shoes to move. Obviously, the assistant should go very slow and you should stop the assistant as soon as you see movement. If there is a lot of pedal push before there's movement, I'd bleed that rear brake again.

Back