loose front end

jawdoc

Reaction score
ok I know the C-bodies are loosey-goosey in the front end, but my 71 Newport wanders a bit much.

I have new lower profile tires on Cragar rims, new ball joints, new inner/outer tie rod ends, new Firm Feel steering box.

And it still wanders terribly!!

Last thing would be wheel bearings. Am I missing something?

My idler was toast, once I replaced it things were better.
Also if your even a little nose high it can play with handling, crank it down a turn or two.

Alan

Its your alignment go to a shop that understands this .5 degree neg camber as much caster as prev. camber spec will allow, 1/16" toe in if they don't understand that turn around and walk out go to next place. If car still wanders after those specs your bump steer is bad check angles of tie rod sleeves on level ground they should be equal angles, if not you have something out of wack poor quality control at factory all the way to accident/curb shot damage.

When wheels travel through jounce and rebound ( up and down ), the toe in or out should not change, if it does you have wandering/ self steering during suspension travel.

If you put a angle finder on each tie rod sleeve they should be the same angle on left and right ( weight on wheels level ground) if it is off by a noticeable amount there is some kind of problem. If you know the car is level and same ride height side to side, check center link for level that would mean pitman and idler arms at same level so the difference is most likely then out at wheels, steering arms/ball joints not the same bent etc tension rods and their bushings l.c.a. and bushing stub frame pivots etc.. There is a way to check this positively, its outlined in old m.p. chassis book but if you think this is your problem a good alignment guy could check this on their machine but it will take a while and they need to have a decent knowledge of torsion bar suspensions.

While the same angle on the left and right is correct, the direction of the said angles should be clarified. I understand about 1/16" toe-in is optimum for our cars is it not?

Back