Lord of the road wheels!!!

Didn't paint them.

I was on a rampage at getting some stuff powdercoated this past spring.
Got a *bunch* of underhood parts done and 1 set of Magnum GT wheels done (unfortuantely the clear kept cracking on 1 particular wheel).
Meant to get these Road Wheels done - but my time ran out.

Between the Roads, the Mag GTs, and a set of aluminum 79 300 rims (2 of which came from you) - all of them need some sort of TLC before I can use them.
And I keep looking at the 14" whitewalls currently on the car - although old, they have no cracks and < 2000 miles on them. I'll use them until a set of wheels gets done eventually (tires will probably be $200 each by then).

That was a long way around of why I can't tell you what silver I used.
But I saw some references in a thread on here that somebody (or several people?) have used these:

1666629765468.jpeg

1666629748373.jpeg

I agree with the heat. I put mine in the empty deck box i use for my patio chair cushions and closed the lid and let it sit in the sun for a week it worked really well. As a side note for identification purposes the wheels i have in the pictures are coded as follows:
# 369947
MFG Date 3-19-78
Size 15 x 6
JJ T G
This info my help others identify wheels.

Last edited:
This is the paint I used on my road wheels when I restored them.

DSC08474.JPG

That is a good steer, I do have this one from doing my fury grill which seems pretty close

PXL_20221024_195456990.jpg

Now that looks like the best paint option. I'm going to order some for my tail light and grill accents.

It ain't cheap, but nothing worth it ever is. He has a bunch of different Mopar-specific paints...dark argent, real deal organisol, tail light red.

There are a few ok center bodies, only 2 of the splined top cap.
I may sell singles to those who have asked, but it's an even 12 right now.
I'm planning on light restoring the best 4 for resale as a set. Probably sell some others undone for those who like to restore themselves.

What's the right gray/argent paint for the center?
If you have one splined top cap or a complete center including the cap for sale I could be interested when you are ready. One of mine has a sort of Macgyvered top cap from a previous owner. Thanks

Didn't paint them.

I was on a rampage at getting some stuff powdercoated this past spring.
Got a *bunch* of underhood parts done and 1 set of Magnum GT wheels done (unfortuantely the clear kept cracking on 1 particular wheel).
Meant to get these Road Wheels done - but my time ran out.

Between the Roads, the Mag GTs, and a set of aluminum 79 300 rims (2 of which came from you) - all of them need some sort of TLC before I can use them.
And I keep looking at the 14" whitewalls currently on the car - although old, they have no cracks and < 2000 miles on them. I'll use them until a set of wheels gets done eventually (tires will probably be $200 each by then).

That was a long way around of why I can't tell you what silver I used.
But I saw some references in a thread on here that somebody (or several people?) have used these:

View attachment 564383
View attachment 564382
Here is another rustoleum option with the other benefit of being heat resistant. Has been on my own road wheels since 2017 with no flaking or peeling.

IMG_20221026_150022_693.jpg

78 NYB Salons had as standard had black painted 15x7 road wheels under the "aluminum fascia basket" and trim rings.
these wheels were also available as an option on 78 Dodge Magnum XEs, Monacos and Plymouth Furys but not available on other Chryslers

View attachment 564164
View attachment 564165

Believe me, I know! I ran the 15x7 cops on my '78 NYBS for a couple of years, while I tracked down a total of nine aluminum baskets, six reflective trim rings, and two centers. I had the four correct wheels I got with the car; but had three baskets with the mounting holes stripped and three roached trim rings. That effort was definitely worth it!

Back