Lost an old friend today.... ;)

thrashingcows

Reaction score
Was cutting some metal with the old Dewalt and a cut-off wheel, the blade caught and sent the grinder across the shop floor, smashing and banging along the way. Smashed the blade up so went to spin it off but the blade lock would no longer work, and now there is a bunch of resistance and a nasty grinding noise when I turn the blade by hand.

APsWfCqh.jpg

Guess after 20+ years of faithful service it was the final drop that sent it on it's way to tool Valhalla.:(

So I need to pick up a new angle grinder...recommendations?

Was cutting some metal with the old Dewalt and a cut-off wheel, the blade caught and sent the grinder across the shop floor, smashing and banging along the way. Smashed the blade up so went to spin it off but the blade lock would no longer work, and now there is a bunch of resistance and a nasty grinding noise when I turn the blade by hand.

APsWfCqh.jpg

Guess after 20+ years of faithful service it was the final drop that sent it on it's way to tool Valhalla.:(

So I need to pick up a new angle grinder...recommendations?

Been there my friend, to answer your question, yes... DeWalt...buy another.

Since 2016 DeWalt has been moving a lot of manufacturing back to the US. I'm still a fan and try to patronize that move back to American Manufacturing.

I have a Dewalt that I bought a bunch of years ago that's still going strong, as did yours, so there's that.

The other school of thought is a cheap Harbor Freight grinder that just becomes a throw away piece (so you have 2 or 3 sitting around) and maybe you splurge for the extended warranty and get free replacements. I've never done that, but I understand there's some pros that are really hard on them that swear that's the way to go. They don't last as long, but it's very cost effective in the long run.

Sorry for your loss.
I've had a double loss in the tool dept this year.
Both my pristine B&D 1/2" variable corded drill and Skil Saw went to tool heaven after 25 years of faithful service...

Never been fond of dewalt and when they and porter cable merged they went to **** too. As someone completely reliant on good power tools it’s going to take a lot to change my mind. As far as angle grinders go I think I’m only on my second Makita and when that one quits there will be another to replace it.

Being as you're a Canuck like myself... CTC puts a 2 pack of grinders on sale a handful of times a year for $50.00

At that price I treat them as disposable, that being said, I'm going on 3 years of abuse in the ones I currently have.
Screenshot_20200815_071758_com.android.chrome.jpg

DeWalt and Porter-Cable didn't really merge.
DeWalt was bought by Black &Decker and used the DeWalt name to rebrand B&D high end tools. Since then B&D bought Porter-Cable and both were bought by Stanley Tools.
DeWalt tools are assembled here using parts from around the world.

DeWalt and Porter-Cable didn't really merge.
DeWalt was bought by Black &Decker and used the DeWalt name to rebrand B&D high end tools. Since then B&D bought Porter-Cable and both were bought by Stanley Tools.
DeWalt tools are assembled here using parts from around the world.

Porter Cable is also combined with Dewalt and other companies. They expanded the project range and have included more products like air tools, air compressors, oscillating tools and pressure washers.

Merged or combined, whatever you want to call it. When a percentage of the parts you use to make a decent power tool don’t last for a month it doesn’t really matter where it’s assembled.

The other school of thought is a cheap Harbor Freight grinder that just becomes a throw away piece

I don't recommend that. I tried it once with the thought that I don't use it too often so a cheap throw-away unit will do. The gear head exploded on me sending a chunk flying. I was grinding something and out of nowhere BANG, then I saw a large hole in the head. This happened before the first wheel was worn out. Complete waste of time and money IMO. I went and bought a decent DeWalt unit after that.

Buy something decent that will last longer than the grinding wheel.

Last year some piece of trash stole my paddle switch Bosch 4 1/2" grinder. My one factor for its purchase was the safety of the switch style, not a fan of the little permanent on switch. I did a little more research, and bought the Canadian Tire brand 4 1/2" paddle switch grinder. Then I found the Makita 4 1/2" paddle switch grinder, and promptly returned the Canadian Tire one. The bosch, and the Canadian Tire model were both around 10 amps, whereas the Makita is 7. Meaning the motor is smaller, so it is by far the smallest grinder in overall size, which often is an advantage, it's also lighter, and more comfortable in the hand's. It also feels like it just runs smoother than any other grinder I've ever used before. The lower amperage simply means it doesn't have the oomph to cut the heavy stuff without bogging down, so I break out the 5 inch Makita rattail grinder. I bought that one around 2000, they were made in Canada at that time.

R.I.P. DeWalt.

Amperage is not a rating of the tool's power. Its a rating of how much current the motor draws.
A 7 amp unit can have more power than a 10 amp. The 7 amp in this case would be more efficient.
If you notice Harbor Freight tools usually draw more current than high end brands. Its because the motor is of poor design.
That higher current draw also means more heat.

Unfortunately I need a grinder pretty quickly since I'm working on building metal brackets for shelving in the shop, so waiting on a sale probably won't be an option. But I think I will be looking for another Dewalt or maybe a Makita. The pawn shop is a good idea..will hit them up today I think.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice...:thumbsup:

Unfortunately I need a grinder pretty quickly since I'm working on building metal brackets for shelving in the shop, so waiting on a sale probably won't be an option. But I think I will be looking for another Dewalt or maybe a Makita. The pawn shop is a good idea..will hit them up today I think.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice...:thumbsup:
If the pawn shop doesn’t pan out, get a Harbor Freight unit or one from Lowe’s or Home Depot as a stop gap.

I have a Dewalt that I bought a bunch of years ago that's still going strong, as did yours, so there's that.

The other school of thought is a cheap Harbor Freight grinder that just becomes a throw away piece (so you have 2 or 3 sitting around) and maybe you splurge for the extended warranty and get free replacements. I've never done that, but I understand there's some pros that are really hard on them that swear that's the way to go. They don't last as long, but it's very cost effective in the long run.

sometimes it’s a toss up. I have a HF oscillating multitool I use for cutting out wood and drywall. It’s almost 10 years old now. I use it at work. My Dewalt 20 volt cordless hammer drill, however, is a disappointment. I switched from Milwaukee. The Dewalt is fine except the Chuck is junk. No matter how tight you get it, it loosens up. I have lost several hole saws in walls that way.

Back