Lower control arm removal

TNT_wagon

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on getting lower control arms out of the K member?
I'm replacing the worn out front end parts on my '66 T&C.
Most everything so far has been fairly easy, with the help of a C-3964 ball joint tool.

Have to remove torsion bars first, then nuts for lower pivot shaft and radius rod, then it will all slide out the back, usually with some persuasion. If you have never messed with the torsion bars, make sure you know what your doing first. There are threads you can search on here that explains that procedure, just search it.

Torsion bar: Remove all tension at lower control arm adjuster bolt. Remove the rear clip behind the torsion bar. Then pry between the lower control arm and engine cradle to move the lower control arm/torsion bar assembly to the rear. If you tap the lower control arm forward with a hammer, often the torsion bar will fall out the back of the lower control arm. Saves buying a torsion bar removal tool.

Thanks guys, I'm looking to change UCA's and my LCA bushings too, I had this same question.

Assume the LCA bushing needs a torch, chisel and press to get it out?

Thanks. I have torsion bars out and all that stuff, they're just tight. Maybe the PB Blaster I sprayed on yesterday will make them fall right out later, lol

Thanks. I have torsion bars out and all that stuff, they're just tight. Maybe the PB Blaster I sprayed on yesterday will make them fall right out later, lol
Agree. I'd wait a couple days and give lower control arm a couple of sharp whacks with a 2 or 3 lb hammer.

Thanks guys, I'm looking to change UCA's and my LCA bushings too, I had this same question.

Assume the LCA bushing needs a torch, chisel and press to get it out?
LCA Bushing
Press and a 1/2" bolt will remove the pivot shaft
Bushing Inner shell comes off with pivot shaft. Notch it lengthwise with a chisel every 90°, 4 notched lines total. Then it should come off. Torch/heat might allow you to avoid notches
Bushing Outer shell can be split with a chisel and then pulled out with a big vise grip. This job is a PITA! Heat probably would help. Not sure.
Maybe others have better ways of doing this job. :D

Back