LPG Conversion?

GooBak

Reaction score
Has anyone done this? It would make the car a zero emissions vehicle, and use a renewable resource instead of a fossil fuel. Im not a tree hugging hippie (though I look like one), but im 26 and I want to be able to drive my classic when im 76. In 50 years in might be impossible to register or drive anything powered by gasoline (hope not but...) I know mothers has a 900 HP 70 chevelle with a lpg injected LS in it, and the blastolene special has a tank engine running lpg so anything is possible... Does anyone have experience with this kind of conversion?

"LPG Conversion"
"Hemi..."
"big-*** blower sticking through the hood"
"swap the leaf springs for either a torque arm system OR a triangulated 4 link"

Welcome aboard. Pics of your NYr and Newport would be appreciated.

I don't actually have either one yet.

Engineer says get car, then plan..
Merely my
my%20two%20centsXSmall.jpg

Last edited:
There won't be anything specific to a Chrysler on an LPG conversion. Anything that will work elsewhere will work here. But LPG isn't zero emission. It's not renewable. It is a non-renewable petroleum product in the same way oil is. It's just gas, not oil.

Which isn't to say don't do it. But don't do it because it's renewable or zero emission.

And go ahead and speculate about this stuff. That's why we call this a discussion​ forum.

Maybe im thinking of natural gas... like they harvest from garbage dumps in CA

Also, im a 26 year old family man starting out in the welding industry after my time in the US Army. My first car was a 55 Pontiac star chief, which I sold to fund the wedding, and ive been driving crap ever since. Speculation is all I can afford right now... But then Ive been butting heads with commando1 since I got here... Its all good tho, I can take a little ribbing :yes_no:

Popular Science Magazine converted a Hemi Charger 500 to LPG back in the early 70's.

Google "Charger-X" or "Popular Science Hemi Charger".

Propane_X_1.jpg

Conversions are nothing new. There are dual fuel systems too that allow you to switch back and forth.

But then Ive been butting heads with commando1 since I got here... Its all good tho, I can take a little ribbing :yes_no:
Consider me the self-appointed Op-Ed page of FCBO with no real authority.
I also fill in as Ombudsmen on occasion.
I also see I had my Sweetie privliges revoked.
Maybe I need to toughen up. LMAO.

Side note: Welding industry...
Good for you. A good welder will never go hungry.

Last edited:
This is Wikipedia so... not entirely trustworthy but should be close

"Natural gas is a hydrocarbon gas mixture consisting primarily of methane, but commonly includes varying amounts of other higher alkanes and even a lesser percentage of carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and hydrogen sulfide.[SUP]"[/SUP]

natural gas != "like they harvest from garbage dumps"

Since you brought up Wikipedia;

Landfill gas is approximately forty to sixty percent methane, with the remainder being mostly carbon dioxide. Landfill gas also contains varying amounts of nitrogen and oxygen gas, water vapour, hydrogen sulphide, and other contaminants. Most of these other contaminants are known as "non-methane organic compounds" or NMOCs. Some inorganic contaminants, such as mercury, are also present in the gas of some landfills.

Consider me the self-appointed Op-Ed page of FCBO with no real authority.
I also fill in as Ombudsmen on occasion.
I also see I had my Sweetie privliges revoked.
Maybe I need to toughen up. LMAO.

Side note: Welding industry...
Good for you. A good welder will never go hungry.

Revoked? Never!!!
sweetie.jpg

And where has stud muffin been lately?

sweetie.jpg

Hi,

LPG is often used here in europe.
Exspecially the dutch/Belgium guys converted a lot of cars to LPG becuse it is way cheaper here than regular gas.
No major problem in general but it burns dry and hot. You need hardened valve seats sooner or later. Every guy has been going through this here if they used the car a lot

Carsten

sorry ive been MIA for awhile... Thanks for the info. I first got this idea for an old Cadillac I nearly bought just before I left korea. If I had to guess id say 1 in 10 cars there were lpg. One concern tho... im a smoker, so it may not be worth the risk of explosion lol

Another leftover idea from the caddy, which was a 1970 coupe deville vert if anyone cares, was a cummins conversion. There are a fair number of caddys with the straight six cummins in them... anyone doing this with C bodies? It seems more.... right... to put a cummins in a c body than in a cadillac

Another leftover idea from the caddy, which was a 1970 coupe deville vert if anyone cares, was a cummins conversion. There are a fair number of caddys with the straight six cummins in them... anyone doing this with C bodies? It seems more.... right... to put a cummins in a c body than in a cadillac

I wonder what ever became of this attempt

http://rattlerod.blogspot.ca/2011_08_01_archive.html

Last edited by a moderator:
There are countless forklifts in the world that are running on propane and I do you think that natural gas cars and trucks along with more open to the public fueling stations coming around, one of these days along with the choice of sunroof or not the type of fuel is going to be a decision. All the powerplants are being built with natural gas it really makes more sense, and no it is not Obama's war on coal, fact is a coal fired powerplant is a logistical and maintenance nightmare. The coal comes in on hundreds of trucks all burning 4.40$/gallon diesel has to be weighed, sampled, tested, and dumped in store rage then moved to feed it to plant its inconsistent, BTUs per pound, then there is the exhaust that has to go through large scrubbers, like a catalytic converter, which have been in place since the 70s and don't run on thier own. A gas fired plant once built and piped in turn the valve, light the fire adjust for load done. Which would you build?

Once again, im not a hippie, but I think this is something the car world needs to work on. We embrace EFI, turbos, direct injection, and anything else the manufacturers come up with. But if it doesn't run on a petroleum product, youre a clown. Get over it. I live in a state with NO inspection, NO smog to pass, and id love to run nat gas or propane. But I cant give up internal combustion. No electric car with a simulated exhaust note played through the stereo for me

In the early '90's we ran several squad cars on propane. Great for a short time, but in the long run became problematic. Reliability, frequent refueling and few who would repair them. The County also had some vehicles. All were dropped when the usefullness of the vehicle was done. Also, my girlfriend works at a Propane Company and recently replaced some of their fleet. They went to gasoline or diesel. Same issues as were around almost twenty years ago. If your still set on doing this to your car at least save ALL of the components to switch it back to gasoline when you change your mind or for the next owner.

modern gas and oil eat your bearings and carb nowadays anyway, but I see your point. I was leaning more towards diesel but at this point its all up in the air. To be honest I need to bounce ideas off someone and since my wife doesn't care and my son is 3 so its you guys :)

Back