Magnum 500 wheel issues

Gavin Jeffrey

Reaction score
Hi,
I am wanting to put a set of Magnum 500 wheels on my 68 New Yorker, i am looking at the Vintique ones, i can buy them locally here,
I tried a 15 x 7 but it fouls on the factory Budd calipers.
Is there a Magnum wheel that will clear the caliper in 15 x7 or 15 x 6,
Also the Ford rims are same bolt pattern but is the center hole to mall ???
I need some direction as to what will fit my car.
Any help very much appreciated
Thanks
Gavin
Australia.

Did you try the 15x6s? What backspacing on the 15x7s?

The widest wheel that Chrysler spec'd for C-body cars, 14s and later 15s, was 6.5" wide, on station wagons only. 15x7s were only on the later E-bodies. The factory disc brake cars, Pre-1969 model year, all had 15" wheels on them. BTAIM

In the Chevy realm of things, back then, there were disc brake wheels and drum brake wheels, even in 14" sizes. The difference was in the contours of the inner wheel rim, with more clearance for the disc brake calipers, which the drum brake wheels didn't need. As disc brakes became more popular, the wheels seemed to default to the disc brake wheels on everything. On, say, a '70s Z/28 with 15x7s, the backspacing is 4.25". Not sure if the many 15" M500 wheels I've seen on early Chargers were 4.25" or 4.00" backspacing. The Magnum 501s only seem to come in 4.00" backspacing.

Might anybody have the specs of the 15x7 Rallye Wheels on the E-body cars, as to backspacing, for informational purposes?

Keep us posted on your progress.

Happy Holidays,
CBODY67

Magnums are kind of flat on the back, they will not clear 11" finned drums if I recall. Bud calipers are very bulky.

All Budd brake cars I've seen had steel wheel/ wheel covers.

The aftermarket magnum 500's are the same for Ford and Mopar applications. It was only the originals that had a smaller center register for the Fords.

If you have to give up on the magnums, an option would be the Chrysler 15x6" road wheels, as they will clear the Budds. Finding a set in Australia would probably be a challenge though.

Jeff

The problem with the magnum style wheels is that the cast-in ridge hits the wheel center, the wheel offset is of no concern. The stock 15" wheels have 2 possible correct wheel covers that are fairly attractive & that's the way I'd probably go in your case. I did go with magnums on my Budd car but had custom spacers made and also installed high strength ARP racing studs which I cut down to fit, then torqued to 100 ft-lbs. I love the look of the 500's but if I were to do it again I'd just stick with the original wheels & covers.

One thing I did ponder was machining down the ridge but I didn't want to mess with my expensive & hard to find calipers if it was a fail.
17-jpg.jpg

Given your location, this solution is probably a non starter too but 69-73 spindles, lower ball joints and disc brakes would solve your wheel problem as well as future rotor, caliper and pad replacements.

Kevin

I had the same Problem with 15x7 vintique Magnum 500. The rim had severe collision with the caliper. I had to change my wheels and wenn with Aluminium American Racing torque trust. Same wheel dimensions and offset, but much more clearance to the brake. It was the inner wheel weld which had interference with the caliper.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input,
I have the factory steel rims and factory disc brake hubcaps on the car, i do like the original look but the Magnums just pop.
Looks like i will be keeping the stock rims and caps.
Gavin

001.jpg

025.jpg

Hi,
I am wanting to put a set of Magnum 500 wheels on my 68 New Yorker, i am looking at the Vintique ones, i can buy them locally here,
I tried a 15 x 7 but it fouls on the factory Budd calipers.
Is there a Magnum wheel that will clear the caliper in 15 x7 or 15 x 6,
Also the Ford rims are same bolt pattern but is the center hole to mall ???
I need some direction as to what will fit my car.
Any help very much appreciated
Thanks
Gavin
Australia.
Would they work with 4 drums

Thanks for everyone's input,
I have the factory steel rims and factory disc brake hubcaps on the car, i do like the original look but the Magnums just pop.
Looks like i will be keeping the stock rims and caps.
Gavin

View attachment 421314

View attachment 421315
I like the look of Magnum wheels, but those factory covers on that car trump the Magnums. They just look great.

Back