Master cylinder thoughts...

Just make really sure that you order the correct part because, unlike a local company, returns will be terrible.

FWIW, I was curious about what the MC for a '56 looked like. A little research and it's the generic single MC that Chrysler used on a lot of cars.

If you want to stay with the single, that's up to you, but a later double MC will bolt up nicely. I started crossing the numbers and found your MC also fit a '64 D100 and guess who did a dual MC conversion on a '64 D100? I ordered a later MC, and I spec'd the '69 Roadrunner MC. (just because I probably knew the part number back then).

So, that may answer the question that everyone skipped around.... Or at least what I think you were asking. Your Volare MC is going to be for a disc brake car and I would avoid that.

Again, your choice... Will makes a good argument for staying with the single MC, but I also remember the absolute terror I experienced while test driving a single MC car and having a hose fail. Granted, that was years ago and I'm sure the owners of that particular POS didn't keep up on maintenance. I have done the conversion several times, the last being my '65 Barracuda.

One factor that has me advise to do a dual MC has been discussed in many threads here, but never tying it back to adding a dual MC. The quality of parts is often questionable these days. Lot's of reasons, off shore manufacturing seems to be the biggest. I also worry about guys using NOS parts with 50 year old rubber in them. The failure rate, even with "new" parts is high enough to want to do the conversion.

But, your car, your choice.

Once I bought a camshaft from the states that was suposed to be a real nice deal but in the end the shipping & cutoms costed more than the shaft... Since then I've had pals buying & sending over instead.

Aside from this reality thethee; where about in Holland are you? Due to owning ships we "lived" there about 80% for almost 18 years, thou now our shipping days are over.

Ah yeah Big John; I'm gonna go for dual master cylinder but not only cuz it's safer but also because it's better priced!

& I've also had a bad thing happen once with a failing single m.c.... I moved one bigger yapcrap into a Peugeot with the -63 Valiant I drove at that time while my -62 NewPort waited for its overhauled trans, I only went about 30 m/h when the pedal hit the floor & I steered hard against the rail at the side of the road & puller the e-brake as hard as I could but that didn't do much; it was like a free fall & my backseat came loose too. But my dog was still cool & we walked back a bit to a gas station & phoned the police & after it all was over & the towtrucks had got the other cars away I drove home... But that Valiant did not have automatic trans.

Back