Meet Snow White, my 1970 N-code Dodge Polara Convertible

It has been a while since I posted about Snow White. Her restoration had been on the back burner as other cars got more attention, but she is almost ready. Time, then, to post an update:

1. First is something that's been bugging me, the positive battery cable. Snow had an incorrect cable on, and I ordered a new one from Evans (see this thread) that @71Polara383 installed this weekend. Here are the before/after photos:

View attachment 587900 View attachment 587901

2. Last week, @71Polara383 also installed the new springs (7-leaf, as correct for the A35 towing package) that I'd ordered from ESPO Springs 'n Things back in November 2021 (yep, it's been a while -- I stuffed my C-body Resto pipeline too deeply :rolleyes:, but we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)).

Here's how the car looks like now, underneath and stance-wise:

View attachment 587903

View attachment 587904

3. In the picture above, taken this weekend by Wyatt, the later-style caps are still on. As you may remember, I'd been the lucky winner of a set of correct 1969-1973 center caps on eBay (that, too, was a while back: July 2001 in this case...):

The later-style caps will be replaced by Wyatt before Snow goes to Indy next month, where she will get her convertible top replaced by the shop that did such a great job on Buttercup's vinyl top.

--> Should anyone need four later-style road wheel center caps, feel free to contact me via PM to ask for photos and make me an offer.

4. More importantly, Snow will get an alignment before she goes to @david hill (who has kindly agreed to shepherd the top replacement process). Here is a photo of the front end seen from under the car, with some of the new steering and suspension components bits whose installation that I have documented before:

View attachment 587902

Mighty fine!

Very nice car, one more in the stable, I might know a guy who has the bumpers, I have not gone through all 8 pages of this thread to see if you replaced the bumpers on SW or not, I will send a PM if he still has them.

1. First is something that's been bugging me, the positive battery cable.
I know that buggy feeling about an incorrect aftermarket cable and fusible link. I fortunately found a good used cable, cleaned it up and rejuvenated all the terminals. Bugged no more!
1679317733457.jpeg

1679317820789.jpeg

@71Polara383 will be test-driving Snow White extensively after the alignment, before handing the car over to @david hill for the top replacement.

As readers of this thread may remember, the seller insisted that I check out the cooling when I bought Snow in the fall of 2019. Wyatt quickly ascertained that she was indeed running hot, and the issue was initially solved by my buying from RockAuto (in June 2020) and Wyatt's installing (in October 2020) a brand-new Spectra CU332 repop back in 2020.

Not content to leave good enough alone, I like to have the correct radiator on my cars. Try as I might, though, I could not find out what the "right" radiator should be for a 1970 N-code Polara. Here is a spreadsheet that I had found online, back in the day, about rad choices for various Mopars (the link does not work anymore, but I saved the file (happy to share it with folks who might need it -- just PM me).

1679323312536.png

As you can see, this list does not have an entry for the 4-bbl 383. I posted about my quandary here but did not get any response. When I brought up the matter to him, @saforwardlook recommended the (year-correct) P/N 2998970 "because of the superior cooling." I found a 2998 970 rad for a fair price in July 2022, here on this forum (sold by @demonhead ) and it's just been installed by Wyatt.

Resized_Resized_20230318_145545.jpg
Resized_Resized_20230318_145550.jpg

For comparison, here is the Spectra CU332 that was taken out. I like it, and I will keep it on a shelf so that it may go on another car -- very helpful to have it around while waiting for the "right" part.

Resized_Resized_20230318_120121.jpeg

Before I happened upon a good (P/N 2998 970) 26" radiator, @70 Sport Suburban had found and sold me for a very reasonable price a fan shroud (P/N 2785435) to go with it. Here are photos of the 2785 435 shroud that Manny sold me in June 2021 (he's sold me another, for another car, back April 2020). Here are photos of the radiator after installatoon:

123_1-2.jpeg
123_1-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Very nice car, one more in the stable, I might know a guy who has the bumpers, I have not gone through all 8 pages of this thread to see if you replaced the bumpers on SW or not, I will send a PM if he still has them.
Thank you very much for offering. I bought a pair of bumpers from @58Desoto and they will be installed once @71Polara383 starts to go through cosmetics.

@71Polara383 will be test-driving Snow White extensively after the alignment, before handing the car over to @david hill for the top replacement.

As readers of this thread may remember, the seller insisted that I check out the cooling when I bought Snow in the fall of 2019. Wyatt quickly ascertained that she was indeed running hot, and the issue was initially solved by my buying from RockAuto (in June 2020) and Wyatt's installing (in October 2020) a brand-new Spectra CU332 repop back in 2020.

Not content to leave good enough alone, I like to have the correct radiator on my cars. Try as I may, though, I could not find out what the "right" radiator should be for a 1970 N-code Polara. Here is a spreadsheet that I had found online, back in the day, about rad choices for various Mopars (the link does not work anymore, but I saved the file (happy to share it with folks who might need it -- just PM me).

View attachment 587920

As you can see, this list does not have an entry for the 4-bbl 383. I posted about my quandary here but did not get any response. When I brought up the matter to him, @saforwardlook recommended the (year-correct) P/N 2998970 "because of the superior cooling." I found a 2998 970 rad for a decent price in July 2022, and it's just been installed by Wyatt.

View attachment 587926View attachment 587927

For comparison, here is the Spectra CU332 that was taken out. I like it, and I will keep it on a shelf so that it may go on another car -- very helpful to have it around while waiting for the "right" part.

View attachment 587925

As I happened upon a good (P/N 2998 970) 26" radiator, @70 Sport Suburban found and sold me for a very reasonable price a fan shroud (P/N 2785435) to go with it. Here are photos of the radiator after Wyatt installed it, and of the fan that Manny sold me back in April 2020.

View attachment 587916View attachment 587918

You are making all the right moves it seems to me. Along with that radiator, I would also be sure to have a 26" radiator core support so that the full frontal area of the radiator can be utilized if you had a 22" radiator to begin with (they put those 22" radiators in C bodies with 440s even (without a/c) but they were never even close to adequate in states with higher temperatures in the summers). I trust you had the radiator cleaned and rodded out before you utilize it and to also be certain to flush the engine block out well too. Wyatt knows what to do though since you are in good hands with him as well.

You are making all the right moves it seems to me. Along with that radiator, I would also be sure to have a 26" radiator core support so that the full frontal area of the radiator can be utilized if you had a 22" radiator to begin with (they put those 22" radiators in C bodies with 440s even (without a/c) but they were never even close to adequate in states with higher temperatures in the summers). I trust you had the radiator cleaned and rodded out before you utilize it and to also be certain to flush the engine block out well too. Wyatt knows what to do though since you are in good hands with him as well.
Thank you. Snow White has A/C and the towing package, so my guess is that it had the HD cooling from new. When I bought the car, it had an old 26" aftermarket unit (possibly a Spectra-type) and that is why I went through the changes.

The radiator was sold to me by @demonhead and had been recored. Here is the ad.

The radiator was sold to me by @demonhead and had been recored. Here is the ad.
Oh, OK. As long as the new core used has fin density at least as good as the original Chrysler core, you should be good to go. Just looking at it from the photo, it does seem to have pretty tight fin spacing which is what you want. I can't keep all your projects straight much less even my own at times!!

Oh, OK. As long as the new core used has fin density at least as good as the original Chrysler core, you should be good to go. Just looking at it from the photo, it does seem to have pretty tight fin spacing which is what you want. I can't keep all your projects straight much less even my own at times!!
My car came with the 970 radiator. Since it badly needed recoring, I bought the Spectra 332 and I gave the OEM to a member here (don't remember who) for shipping cost somewhere in Oregon or Washington. Said he was restoring a Hurst. I didn't recore it because the only shop was a long drive and I couldn't have the car down for the week he told me it would take him to do it. Backlog or somesuch.

I've been happy with that Spectra. 205/10 in the hot with the AC on.

I recall when rad shops were everywhere. Like buggy whips and bumper rechrome shops...gone with the times.

Last edited:
My car came with the 970 radiator. Since it badly needed recoring, I bought the Spectra 332 and I gave the OEM to a member here (don't remember who) for shipping cost somewhere in Oregon or Washington. Said he was restoring a Hurst. I didn't recore it because the only shop was a long drive and I couldn't have the car down for the week he told me it would take him to do it. Backlog or somesuch.

I've been happy with that Spectra. 205/10 in the hot with the AC one.

I recall when rad shops were everywhere. Like buggy whips and bumper rechrome shops...gone with the times.

I realize Florida does get very humid but does it really ever get above 100F very often like it does in Southwest states of CA or Arizona/Nevada? Temperatures here in the Southwest of 105F and higher are frequent and highs of around 120F are not uncommon in Arizona/Nevada. No Spectra radiator would cut it out here with the a/c on in slow moving traffic.

Where Ayilar lives it doesn't really get all that hot either so maybe a good Spectra might make it there. All I know for sure is a Spectra wouldn't cut it out here.

One of the shackles broke during the replacement, as often happens, but Wyatt had one from a parts car and that solved the problem. Those shackles are not available new (NOS or repop) to the best of my knowledge), so my advice is to not start on this repair unless you have access to a friend with parts on his shelf. Here is a pic that Wyatt took:

View attachment 587954

FWIW:
If one doesn't have spare shackles (or a good friend), here is an option.
B-body leafspring bushings fit our cars (both front eye and shackles).
Buy Grade 5 or 8 bolts of appropriate diameter and length (9/16" dia IIRC) and locknuts.
Knock the pins out of the originals, drill the hole diameter as needed, lube up the bushings, and install it.

Caveats:
Yes, the bolts aren't shoulder bolts, so will be some threaded area where the bushings will ride.
Yes, the bushings have a flat flange, while the OEM have a domed head that matches the shackle.
Yes, on the longer bolt on this Fusey shackle, the bushings won't be long enough to cover the whole bolt.
Yes, it won't have an OEM look.

In my younger/poorer days I would disassemble a set of springs and add leaves from donor springs, install new inner liners, new bushings, etc.
Most of the shackles I've seen have some rust deterioration of the bolts, so merely putting new bushings on wasn't ideal.
So I went the B-body poly-bushing + bolts route.

I've done this on several cars over the years and not had any notable problems from the caveats.
I did have one set develop a squeak after many years and maybe 50k miles, but upon disassembly all the bushings were re-usable and just needed a re-lube.

I love seeing an original Chrysler rad under hood. Big points from me.
It's not much more difficult in doing it correctly, just some time.

I realize Florida does get very humid but does it really ever get above 100F very often like it does in Southwest states of CA or Arizona/Nevada?
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!

Yes, you are correct. Florida doesn't get those blazing temps that the southwest does, and with me being right up against the ocean, low 90s are typical....and yeah, it IS the humidity. And maybe that humidity helps a tiny bit with the cooling. As I barely recall from college, one of the formulas in Thermo/Heat Transfer takes humidity into account when calculating mass airflow requirements for cooling. Wetter is better.

I love seeing an original Chrysler rad under hood. Big points from me.
It's not much more difficult in doing it correctly, just some time.
Agreed, but the Spectra does a pretty good job of mimicking the original, minus the Pentastar and part number. It's sure as hell a lot better than those terribly ugly aluminum Cold Case things. Ugh. Such a disappointment seeing one of those on an otherwise nice car.

But yes, in retrospect I should have bought the Spectra and used it temporarily while I leisurely had the original recored.

I've been happy with that Spectra. 205/10 in the hot with the AC on.

I recall when rad shops were everywhere. Like buggy whips and bumper rechrome shops...gone with t
I have been relatively lucky the radiator shop I use can re-core most of our 26" radiators. If anyone in my area needs one done go to Kenny's Radiator in Indy.

It has been a while since I posted about Snow White. Her restoration had been on the back burner as other cars got more attention, but she is almost ready. Time, then, to post an update:

1. First is something that's been bugging me, the positive battery cable. Snow had an incorrect cable on, and I ordered a new one from Evans (see this thread) that @71Polara383 installed this weekend. Here are the before/after photos:

View attachment 587900 View attachment 587901

2. Two weekends ago, @71Polara383 installed the new springs (7-leaf, as correct for the A35 towing package) that I'd ordered from ESPO Springs 'n Things back in November 2021 (yep, it's been a while -- I stuffed my C-body Resto pipeline too deeply :rolleyes:, but we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel :)).

One of the shackles broke during the replacement, as often happens, but Wyatt had one from a parts car and that solved the problem. Those shackles are not available new (NOS or repop) to the best of my knowledge), so my advice is to not start on this repair unless you have access to a friend with parts on his shelf. Here is a pic that Wyatt took:

View attachment 587954

Here's how the car looks like now, underneath and stance-wise (photos courtesy @71Polara383):

View attachment 587903

View attachment 587904

3. In the picture above, taken this weekend by Wyatt, the later-style caps are still on. As you may remember, I'd been the lucky winner of a set of correct 1969-1973 center caps on eBay (that, too, was a while back: July 2001 in this case...):

The later-style caps will be replaced by Wyatt before Snow goes to Indy next month, where she will get her convertible top replaced by the shop that did such a great job on Buttercup's vinyl top.

--> Should anyone need four later-style road wheel center caps, feel free to contact me via PM to ask for photos and make me an offer.

4. More importantly, Snow will get an alignment before she goes to @david hill (who has kindly agreed to shepherd the top replacement process). Here is a photo of the front end seen from under the car, with some of the new steering and suspension components bits whose installation that I have documented before:

View attachment 587902
Hey Michel? We need to talk. You know I'm on the lookout for center caps.

Hey Michel? We need to talk. You know I'm on the lookout for center caps.
We talk pretty much every day, and yet I did not know. Or, I forgot, which is even worse...

The easiest/best is that you have a look when you swap Poppy and Snow White at Wyatt's, and if you like them then they're yours since I should have remembered.

We talk pretty much every day, and yet I did not know. Or, I forgot, which is even worse...

The easiest/best is that you have a look when you swap Poppy and Snow White at Wyatt's, and if you like them then they're yours since I should have remembered.
I will do that when I drop off The 70 red Polara We'll be contacting Wyatt soon.

Back