Mint First Forward Look Imperial Coupe on Ebay - Outstanding - Wish it Was Mine

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is one Imperial that is really desirable IMO. 331 Hemi and factory a/c and these were excellent vehicles back in their day as well. I believe this vehicle was offered for sale once before but back then the right and left front fenders were different (one side was 1955 and the other was 1966) but that apparently has now been fixed.

1955 Chrysler Imperial | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Item specifics
Condition: Used Year: 1955
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): C5512278 Mileage: 98066
Model:
Imperial
Vehicle Title: Clean

Make: Chrysler Body Type: Coupe

“Springtime Edition” 1955 Imperial Newport Coupe

Highlights:

· “Springtime Edition” Newport Coupe – the only 1 remaining!

· Highly original condition with one repaint in correct Sunburst Yellow & Platinum

· Original drivetrain

· 331 CI/250HP FirePower Hemi V-8 engine

· Dual exhaust with through-bumper exit

· Automatic transmission

· Power steering

· Power brakes

· Power seats

· Power windows

· Very rare three-tone white, yellow, and green leather interior

· Town & Country pushbutton radio and clock

· Factory air conditioning

· Dash-mounted shift lever

· Heat and defrost

In the Spring and Summer of 1955, Imperial offered a special “Springtime” color combination of a Sunburst Yellow body with a Platinum top. Very few of these were built and, according to the records of the Walter P. Chrysler Club and the Imperial Club, this is the only one remaining. Chrysler Historical Services provided us with the Production Record (see picture) certifying that this Imperial was delivered with the stated options and was one of the original Sunburst Yellow body with a Platinum top “Springtime” cars.

This Imperial was built on July 19, 1955 and is one of only 3,418 Imperial Newport Coupes built in 1955. It’s equipped with power windows, power seats, Town & Country radio with rear speaker, and rare factory air conditioning. The fresh air scoops for the A/C are mounted on top of the rear fenders and the A/C evaporator and blower are located in the trunk.

The 1955 Imperial, advertised as the “Flagship of the Forward Look” and as “The Finest Car America Has yet Produced”, was the first Imperial completely designed by Virgil Exner, Styling Director of Chrysler Corporation. It was also the first Imperial built on its own dedicated production facility within the new Imperial Division of the Chrysler Corporation.

This 1955 Imperial Newport Coupe was originally purchased at Town & Country Motors in Indianapolis, IN. Finished in its original colors of Platinum over Sunburst Yellow with a re-upholstered gold Eagle cloth and white leather interior. This coupe and has been driven on multiple Chrysler Club tours and was awarded a best in class trophy by Keith Martin and Donald Osborne at the 2017 Forest Grove Concours d’ Elegance. It received a new interior and was painted before being acquired by the seller 6 years ago. Power comes from its original 331 cubic inch, 250 HP, 340 lb/ft torque Hemi paired with a 2-speed Powerflite automatic transmission. This Imperial is offered with its Chrysler Production Record, a copy of its data card, the original sales brochure and owner’s manual, and a clean Oregon title in the seller’s name.

This Imperial has its original engine, transmission and rear axle and, as far as I know, has never been taken apart. Much of the brightwork has been rechromed although there is some pitting on the original side brightwork and a few other pieces. All of the interior, trunk, and exterior lights work and the four power windows and power seats work as they should plus the A/C blows cold. All gauges work correctly. The radio and clock are not working. On the underside everything looks as it should with a general thin coat of factory applied undercoat. Mounts, rocker bottoms and floors are solid & original. New brakes, brake lines, and Coker tires were installed 6 years ago. The odometer reads 98,066 which I believe is actual mileage but I can’t guarantee that. The car drives beautifully with no issues I’m aware of. Many spare parts go with the vehicle. Additional pictures are available as well as a cold start video.

Examples of these luxurious cars are rarely available, and few show the level of preservation displayed here. This remains a car for the truly serious owner desiring exclusivity.

Last edited:
Looks like an exceptional vehicle. Thanks for posting.

Lovely, but there "may" be other examples on someone's property that the WPC and Imperial clubs know nothing about. Probably not likely but unless you have evidence of the scrapping of all others you can't say for sure.

I always wonder why the owners of such vehicles don't get (in this case) the radio and clock working and thus be able to justify a high price "everything works. " A car in this color would surely make you smile every time you saw it, let alone drove it.

That is a beautiful car. Such style and elegance, as it should be since it was Chrysler Corp's finest offering. I would love to drive that on an open road somewhere.

Lovely, but there "may" be other examples on someone's property that the WPC and Imperial clubs know nothing about. Probably not likely but unless you have evidence of the scrapping of all others you can't say for sure.

I always wonder why the owners of such vehicles don't get (in this case) the radio and clock working and thus be able to justify a high price "everything works. " A car in this color would surely make you smile every time you saw it, let alone drove it.

I gave the owner a "pass" since it is one of the few cars advertised that ever says "a/c blows cold" much less this is a 65 year old one! I'll gladly fix the radio and clock as long as any a/c unit that old actually works!

That is a beautiful car. Such style and elegance, as it should be since it was Chrysler Corp's finest offering. I would love to drive that on an open road somewhere.

I remember when I was just a little kid (8 years old) just how well our 1955 Chrysler New Yorker St. Regis coupe performed and drove. Very quiet and smooth and it felt really solid and comfortable. This Imperial is basically the same car with some upgrades to suit a luxury emphasis. It was very modern for the times - and the 331 Hemi was just smooth and powerful.

This is how our 1955 Chrysler looked - same colors but regular wheel covers rather than wire wheels.........................

51139-1955-chrysler-new-yorker-st-regis-hardtop-coupe.jpg

aeab161e4d4d97b8e58db0cc9324cd27.jpg

Absolutely beautiful car! I had a little chuckle when I saw that it has black positive and negative cables on the battery, but it is a truly stunning car!

Absolutely beautiful car! I had a little chuckle when I saw that it has black positive and negative cables on the battery, but it is a truly stunning car!

Actually, the 55 Chryslers were the last ones that used 6 volt positive ground electrical systems as was the case for other manufacturers as well. So having both cables as black might cause a newbie to question things???

Actually, the 55 Chryslers were the last ones that used 6 volt positive ground electrical systems as was the case for other manufacturers as well. So having both cables as black might cause a newbie to question things???
Ah, my bad, thanks for the explanation!
77newyorker440

Back