Curious if any C bodies had the Mod top option from the factory
Yes

edit *apparently this was added*

img_20160920_104342021-jpg.jpg

01212_486amojzwcl_600x450-jpg.jpg

00t0t_5xhqv7scway_600x450-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to answer and share pics :thumbsup:

Yes. A few Newports got them also. I’m sure we discussed mod tops when they were featured at Carlisle a couple years ago. Someone may have even posted the numbers sold for the two years available.

I'e seen a few Newports with a mod top. Not sure you could order an Imp with one.

Very neat, I did some more searching and found a couple pictures of a paisley top too

I got this from the Imperial owners website. The Paisley top was available on the 1971 models. Very rare

Right ..... but I do believe there is no record of any C body Mod Tops from the factory

Curious if any C bodies had the Mod top option from the factory

the answer to your original question is: no

Mod Top was only available in 1969 for the following models:
Satellite (blue)
Barracuda (yellow)
Dart (green-roof only)
Coronet&Super Bees (green-only)

1970:
Barracuda/Cuda (yellow and blue)

That is it from the factory.

There are more cars out there but the roofs have been added by owners or dealerships.

1971 Imperial roof with flowers in UNWANTED by Mopar. It was a mistake by the supplier of the material. It was an old print and they painted it burgundy as it was supposed to be. That is what you can find in the colour&trim selectors. But in the sun it startet fading quickly and the flowers showed up. As a result the top got cancelled midyear. So if you see an Imp with that roof it was NOT planned to be.

Carsten

Taken at Carlisle 2012

IMG_0394.JPG

69 Barracuda

IMG_0396.JPG

69 Dart

IMG_0397.JPG
70 cuda

When those tops and seat inserts are in new condition, they look really nice. Not sure if its because it reminds me of some of the wallpaper in my parents old farmhouse when I was a child, or if it's just because it's out of the ordinary. Either way thanks again you guys for the pics and info

the answer to your original question is: no

Mod Top was only available in 1969 for the following models:
Satellite (blue)
Barracuda (yellow)
Dart (green-roof only)
Coronet&Super Bees (green-only)

1970:
Barracuda/Cuda (yellow and blue)

That is it from the factory.

There are more cars out there but the roofs have been added by owners or dealerships.

1971 Imperial roof with flowers in UNWANTED by Mopar. It was a mistake by the supplier of the material. It was an old print and they painted it burgundy as it was supposed to be. That is what you can find in the colour&trim selectors. But in the sun it startet fading quickly and the flowers showed up. As a result the top got cancelled midyear. So if you see an Imp with that roof it was NOT planned to be.

Carsten

Carsten is correct and spared me a lot of writing. I would only add two points; not that they involve Mod Tops...

The Fury Gran Coupe was created halfway through 1970 and did use a walnut paisley pattern on the roof and seats. I believe you could get brown or white as a paint color. It lasted through '71.

Alligator-patterned vinyl on '70 ('71?) Dodges.

When i saw these i wanted dad to order one of those yellow 69 cuda Mod Tops. Hey, i was a kid! In retrospect he was correct in going with a saddle bronze cuda in 69. Mopar was wild and crazy back then with these tops, gator grain, tortoise grain and paisley tops. Dad said they briefly looked at using embossed metal for the roof.

Carsten is correct and spared me a lot of writing. I would only add two points; not that they involve Mod Tops...

The Fury Gran Coupe was created halfway through 1970 and did use a walnut paisley pattern on the roof and seats. I believe you could get brown or white as a paint color. It lasted through '71.

Alligator-patterned vinyl on '70 ('71?) Dodges.

in addition the following unusual v-roofs were available for C-bodies:
the Gatorroof was introduced in may 69 for Dodge. Out of my head I have just one car seen with it. It was available during full 1970 modelyear. AFAIK it was discontinued for 1971.

in late 69 modelyear the tortoise grain roof was introduced for Chrysler and was available in 1970, too.

At the same time (late in 69 modelyear) they introduced the tortosie grain roof on 69 Furys, too but it was not available in 1970. The Furys became the Paisley instead which was available in 1971, too.

Carsten

Dad had one car with the Gator Grain. Not sure if he actually ordered that car or picked it out of the sales bank. It looked great on a 70 Coronet 500 with the Burnt Orange paint and interior.

Back