Modern Air Conditioning, Anybody?

Hi All,

Well we decided to pull the trigger on the Stage 2 kit from Original Air today, we paid the $850.00 and turns out we had to pay $72.00 Florida tax also. The kit comes with a new condenser, now that being said our original is now for sale if anyone is interested. Just PM me. We were debating on using Bouchillon, but they did not have a phone number to call so we same forget it and got the kit above in post one. That said thank you everyone for your input.

When I did the Batwagon I stumbled on to a Phord Sandon at a garage sale that was NOS for $5.00. I fabbed a bracket that allowed me to mount it under the Alternator in Alternators normal position. FWI, In my researching I found that "Most" Sanden equipped Mopars mounted in the same location as the 2 cylinder Tecumseh compressors and are mounted with bolts with vertical brackets and the Phord Sandon mounts with bolts with horizontal brackets. Win win for me and no bag-a-snakes on top of the cross rams and a very clean engine bay, Jer

Last edited:
Go to the Sanden product line online and the number of styles is incredible.
Mount locations and style , Port locations, pully type, capacity, etc.
The one I chose was an OEM Mack unit. lol

After much consideration I also decided to go with a Sanden compressor to replace the stock unit in my 68. Like my dilemma with the wheel upgrade when I installed disc brakes, I prefer stock but I could not justify the cost vs. performance. Same thing with the AC reboot. My car has the Auto Temp and it worked great for the first 14 or so years, but after taking the system apart for the engine refresh in 2017 it did not come back to life so I needed to either restore it or move to a modern solution. Some of my Mopar buddies use the Sanden units and are very happy with them and I decided to go that route as well. I am very happy with it, functionally speaking, but I am thinking about converting the dash from the Auto Temp selector to a regular AC selector. Here are some pictures of my set up when we installed it last year. The only problem we ran in to was at the back of the air cleaner, which is stock, but for some reason their was not enough clearance. A quick trip to the junkyard to scavenge another tube solved the problem. Other than that it was a smooth install and works very well, which is important here in central California in the summer.

AC Install 1.JPG
AC Install 2.JPG
AC Install 3.JPG

When I did mine I routed the hoses in a non hog tied way unlike the factory so that when the engine comes out the compressor can just lay off to the side and the system doesn't have to be opened.
The engine stayed in 8 years tho, so haven't used the capability yet

Yes, just the compressor and lines. Everything else was fine so no need to replace. I got the brackets from Bouchillon Performance, just like Big John. They worked beautifully. There was one other problem I ran in to but did not mention earlier and that was finding the right belts. We ran in to a problem of mislabeled belts (from the manufacturer) at our local auto parts store. It took us a couple trips to figure out we were not doing anything wrong, but that the belts were mislabeled and in the wrong packaging. Once we figured out we could not relay on the packaging we measured everything before leaving the store and it all went together easily. Strange, but true.
:wtf:

Thanks. I replaced my power steering pump with a kit from Bouchillon Performance and used their mounting brackets they make quality parts. Who did you purchase your compressor & lines from by chance do you have the belt numbers you used.

Back