Modified Road Wheel Centers

Omni

Reaction score
Good Day All
Just received the Road Wheels from 'C Body Boat'.
The wheels look great with one small casualty; one of the center caps was damaged in shipment. Not a huge deal, I believe some JB weld would repair it nicely.
I have a collection of center caps from vehicles long gone. I found some 'Magnum' center caps and with a little modification to the retainer was able to insert it into the Road Wheel.
Here are a couple of pics; Opinions Welcomed:
Original
002.JPG

Modified:

003.JPG

Damaged Center Cap:
004.JPG

Mounted on the 'Barge' (65 Newport)
001.JPG

Good Day All
Just received the Road Wheels from 'C Body Boat'.
The wheels look great with one small casualty; one of the center caps was damaged in shipment. Not a huge deal, I believe some JB weld would repair it nicely.
I have a collection of center caps from vehicles long gone. I found some 'Magnum' center caps and with a little modification to the retainer was able to insert it into the Road Wheel.
Here are a couple of pics; Opinions Welcomed:
Original
View attachment 630537
Modified:

View attachment 630538

Damaged Center Cap:
View attachment 630539
Mounted on the 'Barge' (65 Newport)
View attachment 630540
Good solution. There’s an AMC center cap that looks very similar to the original, except it has grooves at the end.

Last edited:
Well, they're both wrong for the car, so it looks great!

I’ve repaired a couple of caps after the retainers broke off like that .I did it by drilling a hole in each of the 4 cast mounts that originally held the retainer and used a small machine screws to secure the retainer to the cap in its original position. The screws threaded themselves nicely into the softer pot metal mounts of the cap . I’ve had no issues with them since.

Good solution. There’s an AMC center cap that looks very similar to the original, except it has grooves at the end.
The AMC ”volcano” cap is very similar. Main difference is it having a slightly thinner profile. Both the Chrysler cap, and the AMC cap have the ”splines” at the top piece. I made a comparative DWG profile view out of both, will have to find the file.

Last edited:
Omni if your interested I have a set (4) of the AMC Tornado caps that I polished& repainted the black spines that I was going to put on the Chrome Road Wheels for my wagon .I kept the Magnum 500's & sold the road wheels.
I also have 2 that need refreshed.Looking to get $150.00 for all 6.

IMG_20231204_221544698.jpg

IMG_20231204_221426007.jpg

IMG_20231204_221501629.jpg

I have these aftermarket style for sale $100 for the set + shipping. If any interest in this style. Thanks

2a124aed-923c-4787-af48-544eb572054c.jpg
137ce926-0127-4c93-9596-7a1e5458e20f.jpg
c8882b05-d785-40d8-a0c1-978196e0d2fe.jpg
d45af9fe-5b0c-4584-99df-9b9a8dac1ca8.jpg

I painted the splines using Hobby Fine Brushes sold in a package of 10 @ Hobby Lobby they are small plastic handle with sponge tips. They worked very good i think they were $4.99 a bag.

FWIW, the AMC caps are a slightly larger diameter (about 1/8") at the base than the Roadie caps.
A Road Wheel cap will mount to a standard steel wheel, but the AMC cap won't seat fully, it would need some spacers.

I had them mounted to the wheels and drove car couple hundred miles with no problem's. Buyer did not want them wanted the stock caps instead.

Sorry, I was speaking of something related but different.

To clarify:
The Road Wheels have a larger area around the lugnut region vs standard steel wheels.
The AMC caps, although larger, will fit a Road Wheel just fine. FWIW, they also fit a '79 300 wheel too.

Road Wheel centers will fit a Road Wheel (obviously) or most/all of the Mopar stamped steel wheels (15" size, at least).
But the AMC centers, being slightly larger, won't fit in our standard steel wheels. (for any future readers that might be considering that setup)
They seem to fit, but don't fit all the way to the bottom.

Back