Mopar Nationals 2023

73Wagon

Reaction score
Anyone planning on going ? I haven't for the past few years, looking forward to going again. Putting together a shopping list for the swap area.

Cheers !

Wait until you see the swap meet area —- it has become a small little “ postage stamp “ of an area….

Many, Many of the vendors ( including me ) have pulled out of there for a plethora of reasons…

The show is sadly a rinky dink little local show — and run that way… It is 1/100th of the just completed Chryslers @ Carlisle….

You are in Ohio, so you might as well go…. Just temper your expectations, and report back to us what you think of the show….

Craig…..

Last edited:
It's been over 15 years since the last time I could afford (and was in good enough physical condition) to go to Mopar Nats, but I remember some of the controversies which happened in the 20 years prior to that. Not enough this, not enough that, etc. All "growing pains" it seems. Then the 5 years in Indy/Brownsburg. That first year was troublesome, but got better after that. Then National Trails did some upgrades and the event returned there. By now, many generations who were not there for those earlier things have "new normals" to deal with.

When I first went with others in our North Loop Dodge Performance Team (about 10 or us), I was completely amazed at all of the cars in attendance. The many colors I'd only seen in sales brochures were there, driving around. Then a swap meet where you did not have to look to find Mopar items! And not ONE Chevy in the drag race staging lanes revving its motor to "clear things out" before it got to the starting line. Not to forget the FWD K-cars with slicks on the front.

But, the ONE thing which never ceased to amaze me and make me smile was the INTER-GENERATIONAL aspect of the entire event. The one sight which kind fo tied it all together was a grandmother holding her grandchild, under the edge of the Viper Tent, as the baby's parents were walking around looking at/for things.

Another time, I was at the Duchess Shop past the finish line. As I walked onto the deck to enjoy a cold drink, I looked around and saw another neat sight. As the grandson used a torque wrench to correctly install slicks on the front of his K-car, both his father and grandfather were watching with pride as the grandson did everything right. Possibly remembering when THEY were that age and a torque wrench was a luxury item normal people could not afford, back then. That made me smile, too!

Oh, can't forget the "Young Guns" show class either. One year, there was a high school auto body class there. They had taken a worthless Plymouth Acclaim sedan and converted it to a full custom car in all respects. "Lincoln Continental" 4 doors and all. Paint was perfect. The group of kids who did that car were there making sure it was as good as it could be, for the show. This car was worthy of any "World of Wheels" indoor car show. They did a great job in making that mere Plymouth K-car into a work of art.

Could not help but see the pride in the faces of that show's participants. Might have been an early Barracuda with a 4bbl 318 and a chrome air cleaner or a more serious restoration . . . and everything in-between. So great to see these younger people getting into the enjoyment of the Mopar Hobby at that age!

Of course, one of the better Mopar car shows was in the parking lots! Grand Parents drove in to see the cars, in their 5 year old Imperials or 300 convertibles. So, to me, the Mopar Nats represented BOTH the history of Chrysler Corp vehicles and "the future" of the Chrysler Corp vehicle hobby.

I considered, but never did, go to Chryslers at Carlisle. I always saw the magazine coverage and was impressed by it. One of our members did take his Superbird up there for display in one of the indoor spaces, one year. He talked about it being more laid-back than The Nats.

Since my last trip in 2005, lots has changed. Many more good repro parts is one thing. No need to trek MILES to get a good part, just call or get it online, after "waving the magic plastic". Then it appears later on. Now, no real compelling reason to be there to get business, I suspect. YET physically showing up with a vendor space is certainly advertising to younger generations of Mopar Enthusiasts and "entrenched" Mopar enthusiasts, too. Sometimes, seeing a desired part "in the flesh" can be good to see! BTAIM

In my case, I was there to "get out of town" and get my Chrysler mental battery re-charged. It was fun and enjoyable! As I only missed a few years over the 20 year span I attended. In those earlier times, I was younger and definitely in-shape to walk the entire property every day without getting tired. Not that way now, unfortunately. Even back then, there were the "naysayers" who claimed they would not come back again. BTAIM

On the other hand, how many MOPAR-only events of this scale are now out there to attend? As many of the Northeast's historic drag strips have closed? As good as many of the "general population" car shows might be, how many really showcase every aspect of the Mopar hobby?

Y'all enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
Cbody67,

The times they are a changing. Last time I went, the swap area was somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 the size of Carlisle, there was a challenger on a trailer being parted out, bring your own tools and pull the part(s) yourself. Plenty of things to see. I was on a limited budget, but still managed to fill the van. I'm still looking forward to going, never know what you'll find in McElligot's Pool. (Dr. Suess reference for us old folks.)

Cbody67,

The times they are a changing. Last time I went, the swap area was somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 the size of Carlisle, there was a challenger on a trailer being parted out, bring your own tools and pull the part(s) yourself. Plenty of things to see. I was on a limited budget, but still managed to fill the van. I'm still looking forward to going, never know what you'll find in McElligot's Pool. (Dr. Suess reference for us old folks.)
I know, things are changing. Still, it is what it is . . . and was. Would hate to see it die, though!

Take care,
CBODY67

I'll be there. Of course it's in my "back yard", but I've gone every year since 2001. And yes, it IS different than Carlisle - but not really in a bad way. It's smaller now, but I've found parts at the Nats that weren't at Carlisle. And it's kind of fun to watch the old Maxies tearing down the quarter mile. See you there . . .

I’ll be there! You know what they say, a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work….:lol:

I am still up in the air. Goldie has burnt valves and I decided I didn't want to pull the heads until after the fall driving season. She does pretty well on short drives and seems to run worse on extended drives. I am about an hour away.

Is Carlisle better? Absolutely, unless you are a diehard drag racer. That said, I always have a great time at the Nats too. If you can afford to attend both, it's still worth doing.

I wasn't particularly impressed when I went to the nationals 2 years ago.

Did any Ohio guys go to the Arthritis Foundation show up in Dublin today? Wow, that show was just a shell of it's former self for some reason. I'd estimate that there were about 50% fewer cars than normal. There was just one C-body, a very nice 69 Sport Fury convertible. Not one Charger. If it's true that guys are aging out of the hobby, it apparently happened overnight!

Every big show, like other things, has its "period of glory". For several decades, Jeff was deeply involved in making that show work as well as it did. Perhaps scheduling conflicts with other main national-level shows?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I wasn't particularly impressed when I went to the nationals 2 years ago.

Did any Ohio guys go to the Arthritis Foundation show up in Dublin today? Wow, that show was just a shell of it's former self for some reason. I'd estimate that there were about 50% fewer cars than normal. There was just one C-body, a very nice 69 Sport Fury convertible. Not one Charger. If it's true that guys are aging out of the hobby, it apparently happened overnight!
They didn't age out of the hobby. Many sold the old stuff. It either went overseas or is sitting in a garage. The guy that sold it bought a Hellcat, can cruise at 80 mph, with a good stereo, air, comfort, and 26 mpgs.
I know so many that did it, it's sad.

A friend owns a Hellcat, says a water pump costs $8000
I suspect there are several water pumps on that motor. Which is why one should buy the extended warranty, if it is not too much. Much of that underhood stuff is under a loonnnggg powertrain warranty, too.

Wait until you see the swap meet area —- it has become a small little “ postage stamp “ of an area….

Many, Many of the vendors ( including me ) have pulled out of there for a plethora of reasons…

The show is sadly a rinky dink little local show — and run that way… It is 1/100th of the just completed Chryslers @ Carlisle….

You are in Ohio, so you might as well go…. Just temper your expectations, and report back to us what you think of the show….

Craig…..
I have heard what you say from many others over the last few years. Carlisle, is still big but in the last 15 years, the newer muscle cars are taking over as it used to be just older cars

I'll be there. Carlisle is great the Nats is good. My biggest complaint is the trailer parking. After one year of a big rain storm they let these trailers park up top inside the gate, these judged cars need to be put somewhere else again and take their trailers with them, rant off.
There is racing at the Nats which is enjoyable to me, so that's in the win column. Yes I know, south mountain at Carlisle, but if I'm honest I stay in the swap meet drinking beer all day, so driving to the track is not a thing, hell I got yelled at for suggesting street racing in another thread. I'm sure drunk driving would not fly.

Back