More Dumb Questions

Clay Harrison

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I just received my copy of the 66 service manual and realized there is no mention of the 440 engine anywhere in the manual?
A quick check of the service manuals at mymopar doesn't show any manual supplements either?
Can one of you more knowledgeable folks please shed some light on this?

A 440 most certainly was available with the 413 discontinued in 65.

b_1966%20Plymouth%20Fury-16-17.jpg

I have the same brochure and I agree that the option was available and came in my car. I just don't understand why the specs aren't included in Plymouth's service manual. The specs for the TNT 440 are in the Chrysler manual?

Where did you get your 1966 Chrysler FSM from? The one I bought years ago has only the 383 and 440 engines in it. No 413s in 1966 models, except possibly in some HD truck or MHC models.

Please advise . . .
CBODY67

Where did you get your 1966 Chrysler FSM from? The one I bought years ago has only the 383 and 440 engines in it. No 413s in 1966 models, except possibly in some HD truck or MHC models.

Please advise . . .
CBODY67
He probably got an early edition. MyMopar's Plymouth copy does not list the 440 either.

I noticed in my '66 manual that there were a few illustrations which had '65 models in them, where the specs were the same, or for "illustration purposes", but everything else is for '66 Chrysler models. Your observation raises questions of what the similar Dodge manual has in it?

Considering the lead time to get the publications ready to be at the dealers in time for the fall intro date of the next model year, it seems odd that the earlier editions didn't reflect the engines for the '66 models. Possibly a proof-reading issue? But then the sales brochure for my '70 Monaco has no mention of the 383/330 engine, just the 383/290 and two 440s. And the VIN plate for my '66 Newport, first production, has a 413 engine code rather than the 383/270 code it should have. So I know some things "happen".

In looking at the engine cam specs, I realized that the 440 only had one cam in '66, the 256/260. The "performance" TNT Chrysler version had dual exhausts and twin-snorkel air cleaners for the added 15 horsepower, over the normal 440/350 single exhaust engine in NY models. Then I remembered that the "GTX" or "HP" cam didn't happen until the '67 model year. Oh well . . .

CBODY67

Someone correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the 440 only available in the New Yorker in 1966?

As far as I understand, originally the 440 was initially reserved for Chryslers only in early production until they got enough of them stockpiled to be able to make them available across the line. Therefore some early print literature does not show the 440 being available for Plymouth and Dodge vehicles. I ran across this with regards to my Monaco...

The 440 replaced the prior 413 and 426-Wedge motors in '66, in cars and light-duty trucks. No reason for it to not be in C-body Plymouth models. The "thing" I'm not recalling for sure is whether of not the 440/365 was an exclusive to Chrysler models only, as the 440 "TNT" option, for the 1966 model year.

Have to do some research!
CBODY67

As far as I understand, originally the 440 was initially reserved for Chryslers only in early production until they got enough of them stockpiled to be able to make them available across the line. Therefore some early print literature does not show the 440 being available for Plymouth and Dodge vehicles. I ran across this with regards to my Monaco...

So, does that mean that only the 383 4bbls were listed, with RB engine not being mentioned at all? Or did the earlier listings include the 413? I was paying more attention to Chryslers at that time in my life, with other C-bodies as secondary, but not forgotten.

Just curious,
CBODY67

Your observation raises questions of what the similar Dodge manual has in it?
CBODY67
1966 Dodge full size manual from MyMopar is missing 440 info as well. My 1966 Plymouth manual (Original,not reprint) is missing 440 info as well. The 440 being released after service info was published seems very likely considering the number of manuals without 440's listed. Would also explain the need to release the service bulletins I linked to earlier in this thread.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm currently running a 78 440 (PO installed) in the car but we're about to start opening up a stock 66 New Yorker 440 TNT for a rebuild and we're going to swap it out this spring. We'll be referring to the Chrysler specs for the new motor but I just didn't understand why the manual showed nothing.

In Chryslers and Imperials, the last year the 413 was available was in the 1965 model year. 413/340 was the basic one, with the 413/360 having a little more cam and dual exhausts. The 300-L (last of the first-gen 300 Letter cars) got the 413/360.

I downloaded the '66 Dodge C-body FSM from www.mymopar.com . The 426-Wedge motor is listed as the larger motor option to the 383s. Interesting thing is that it has the '66 era B/RB 4bbl cam, the 256/260 cam. The '65 426-Wedge had the 413-era cam. Which would make the '66 P/D C-body 426-Wedges a "hybrid" of sorts in that respect. A one-year-only situation, with the later cam.

I suspect that the only real difference in the 426-Wedge and the 440 is the bore diameter. Although I believe the magazines mentioned a new casting process that was more accurate and efficient? As for rebuild purposes.

Interesting facts!
CBODY67

Someone correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the 440 only available in the New Yorker in 1966?
It was standard in the luxury New Yorkers and Imperials in a silenced or detuned version. As I recall, the TNT option, 440 Commando and 440 Magnum versions were a few months later in the 66 model run. The 440 HP was available across the board by the time the Chargers came out mid year.

Back