More Dumb Questions

Have a copy of page 3 of Chrysler Canada's 1966 Shop Manual. The page lists the model numbers and engine displacements available in the top section. The lower 2/3's has a break down of the serial number.

First, for the serial number, the fifth digit was for the engine displacement which the Canadian manual showed two listings. The first was for SPN 200001 to 200647 : For 294648 and up The SPN started at 200001 at Windsor only for 1966.
A - 170 cid slant six A - 170 cid slant six
B - 225 cid slant six B - 225 cid slant six
C - 273 cid V8
D - 318 cid V8 D - 273 cid V8
E - 361cid V8 E - 318 cid V8
F - 383 cid V8 F - 361 cid V8
G - 413 cid V8 G - 383 cid V8
H - 426 cid V8 H - 426 cid V8
J - 440 cid V8 J - 440 cid V8

The top 1/3 id the sheet lists the 440 V8 was optional on models BP2, BD2, BC1, BC2 and standard on BC3 and BY1. The 383 was optional on BP2, BD2 and standard on BC1 and BC2. Nothing is listed for the 413 and 426 engines.

Looks like Chrysler may have had problems getting the 440 into production. Thus the first 4,647 cars did not list the 440 on the engine list. After that the 440 was available.

The top 1/3 id the sheet lists the 440 V8 was optional on models BP2, BD2, BC1, BC2 and standard on BC3 and BY1. The 383 was optional on BP2, BD2 and standard on BC1 and BC2. Nothing is listed for the 413 and 426 engines.

FYI for anybody that isn't familiar with the model codes, here is the chart from the 1966 parts manual.

1966_model_codes.png

Oh man! This is gonna be a long thread by the time this car is done. So I'm kinda bouncing all over the place trying to get started here and I want to apologize in advance for what will most likely be lots of exactly what this thread is named... Our overall plan for the car is something like this- Begin the process of rebuilding the 66 New Yorker 440 as close to stock as possible in Jan/Feb/Mar since the weather sucks in VA this time of year. Would like to add a new intake/carb/headers.I want to use the double snorkel air cleaner because I just think it's as cool as it can be. We're in the process of getting it in the garage and dismantling it now to see what is needed.
Go through the mechanics of the car and get everything right and working.
Some light body work and new paint and set it up as close to original as possible but we will be rocking the steel wheels and some hubcaps.
Front seats and console will most likely be from the New Yorker because I like the look.

So I'm trying to plan things out and the first problem I've run into is the double snorkel doesn't fit the holly on the existing motor. Does anyone know if I'm gonna have this problem if I buy a new holley for the NY'er motor or are there different size bowls? available. Or will I be stuck with a rebuilt Carter?

Last edited:
Ross I have the Carter that came with the NY'er motor. The car hasn't ran since 79....

Last edited:
The air cleaner bottom plates are interchangeable. I have a dual snorkel cleaner on my Monaco. I have been told it's from a 67 or 68 big block with Holley. The upper section fits on my old base plate for the original Carter.
IMG_0106[1].JPG

rapidtrans yours is newer than mine. Here's the only pic I have. I dropped it off at the powdercoater this morning.
66 440.jpg

That's the correct one for your car, as you know.
Since it came on a New Yorker, it had an adhesive applied Chrysler TNT pie plate with no center. Am I correct in assuming the 66 Plymouth had no markings on the air cleaner? Everything I'm seeing with the decals is 67 and up.

On Chryslers only there would have been an adhesive TNT sticker plus a "DO NOT WASH OR OIL" sticker.

Dodges and Plymouths got a 440 - 4 Barrel sticker plus the do not wash sticker.

Both adhesive pie plate stickers were dealer installed dress up items I believe, and not assembly line items, but I could be wrong there.

Plymouth "SUPER COMMANDO" and Dodge "MAGNUM" designations began in 1967.

So the commando V8 emblems were on the front fenders but the Super Commando 440 pie plates were not on the air cleaners for 66? No arguing, just clarifying.

I'm not 100% sure, and could likely be incorrect... but I think Commando for Plymouth V8s had been around for a while, but Super Commando started in 67. Any pie plates prior to 67 were adhesive decals I believe.

I'm not 100% sure, and could likely be incorrect... but I think Commando for Plymouth V8s had been around for a while, but Super Commando started in 67. Any pie plates prior to 67 were adhesive decals I believe.

Golden Commando dates back to about 58-61 and I think that the 426 wedge was called only Commando.

Back