MrMopar's 1969 California Highway Patrol restoration

Amazing difference. Any upgrades in the engine?

No, this is a stock build, other than bronze valve guides and exhaust seats.

Nice work. I started using vinegar as well, since the evapo rust was getting expensive. I found that a first soak in purple cleaner does a de-greasing and then a three day soak in vinegar takes care of the rest. I found the 6% concentrate in Wal Mart. It's marked as "cleaning" vinegar, but it's a dollar more than the 5% grade.

I saw that, I didn't think it was worth the extra amount.

I am enjoying following this post. MrMoparCHP, will you coming up to the Pismo or Arroyo Grande car shows list year? I`ll be at both with the Newport. Would love to talk mopar with yah!

I somehow missed you at Cayucos. Pismo yes, I'll have to lookup the Arroyo Grande show and get the details.

Alan

Nice work. I started using vinegar as well, since the evapo rust was getting expensive. I found that a first soak in purple cleaner does a de-greasing and then a three day soak in vinegar takes care of the rest. I found the 6% concentrate in Wal Mart. It's marked as "cleaning" vinegar, but it's a dollar more than the 5% grade.

What percentage or ration did you dilute the purple cleaner and did you cut the vinegar at all?

Thanks Alan.

What percentage or ratio did you dilute the purple cleaner and did you cut the vinegar at all?

Right out of the bottle no diluting just vinegar, nothing else.
This is the food grade stuff, four gallons in a bucket.

Alan

Yes straight vinegar is what I used as well. As for the purple cleaner, I experimented a bit and settled on a 1/3 purple, 2/3 water.

Thanks :) forgot to put Samplingman in the questions the second time.

I've got some gungy dust shields on the way that are gonna need cleaned up so I'll be using both of your input Allan and SM

Holycrap! this thing is dead nuts cool as hell!! Please tell me you are going to rock the open face HP Motorcycle style helmet while you rip around in that thing when done!

Cheers
Sam.

Holycrap! this thing is dead nuts cool as hell!! Please tell me you are going to rock the open face HP Motorcycle style helmet while you rip around in that thing when done!

Cheers
Sam.

Thanks,

The only officers that wore helmets were motor officers. At that time the officers had a cap.

I do not plan on doing anything that might be seen as looking like a uniform.

Alan

While I'm here...

1. Recently purchased the brake and suspension parts. (should get within a few days)
2. I recently purchased new glass runs and the final window sweep.
3. New dash pad is in the works.
4. Graphics are in the works.
5. Getting ready to send my transmission out for overhaul.
6. Still cleaning parts.

Alan

Well my brake parts came in today but the booster is not correct, the parts were purchased from RockAuto.
The website showed the correct booster that matched the one I have on the car but what I received was different.
It may be the correct unit in form, fit and function but not correct for my needs.

503600-01.jpg
2014-05-09_001.jpg

I hope they have the correct one, we'll see how they are to work with on issues like this.

Alan

Well RockAuto is not setup to go through stock and find a correct one.

My local NAPA ordered one, no deposit and is willing to send back if needed.

They said they will send mine in for rebuilding if needed.

Alan

I'm currently cleaning hardware and brought me back to one of the valve cover bolts.
There were two studs (I can not recall where the second one was) but there is one on the front of the driver side.
2013-01-21_004.jpg

I see no reason for this not to be factory but have not seen studs used for valve covers before?
Both have paint on them.

Alan

Back