MrMopar's Great Adventure

Reading stories as this is very pleasing...
Thank you for sharing the ride-a-long...
Its great to see you out driving your car,, as a car...
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the ride there, look forward to hearing about the ride back.

I have taken all of 101 from downtown Los Angeles to Port Angeles Washington and Olympia.
After my first couple trips to visit my brother I stopped taking I-5, heck I don't use the 5 even on local trip, it might as well not exist.
nb-000-jpg.jpg
nb-001-jpg.jpg
nb-002-jpg.jpg
nb-003-jpg.jpg
nb-004-jpg.jpg
nb-005-jpg.jpg
nb-006-jpg.jpg
nb-007-jpg.jpg
nb-008-jpg.jpg
nb-009-jpg.jpg

Alan

nb-010-jpg.jpg

Normally I do not take a road trip this early, weather will most likely dictate the return trip as well.

Alan

Alan, thanks for letting all of us ride shotgun on your road trip. I've always wanted to drive the west coast in a classic Mopar.

This trip was to visit my brother which I do once or twice a year. This is the earliest I have gone (normal is mid April to late October) and I was set on taking the Barracuda, weather was a factor on the route there and back, just Thursday I saw that Caltrans had plows out on I-5, may have been lite cleanup but I didn't want to take a chance and backtracked the 101.
One evening I took my niece out and let her drive the car, she thought it was fun but very different, you have to drive the car.
2019-03-29_032-jpg.jpg

After my visit (and 4 days of slave labor) I hit the road this morning, first stop was at Sunset Beach in Warrenton Oregon for some pictures, a little early so the sun was low, still cool.
2019-03-30_009-jpg.jpg

2019-03-30_010-jpg.jpg

Surprisingly there wasn't a lot of traffic, the slide may have had something to do with it. These are all take on US-101
2019-03-30_015-jpg.jpg

2019-03-30_017-jpg.jpg

2019-03-30_035-jpg.jpg

Speaking of the slide, I chose to stay on the highway and idle through the gravel if I had to, it was flagged and paced. probably less than half a mile.
2019-03-30_041-jpg.jpg

Somewhere south of Crescent City I needed to stop a clean the windows, might as well take some pictures. I needed a break anyways.
2019-03-30_044-jpg.jpg

2019-03-30_043-jpg.jpg

A little further south.
2019-03-30_045-jpg.jpg

I had another detour planned but my notes were wrong so I missed the turnoff, another trip.

Gas Report:
First fill (half the tank from the way north)
171.3 miles 16.01 mpg (some mountain driving)
192.0 miles 18.92 mpg (some traffic in a couple towns)
134.2 miles 20.39 mpg (good as cruise control)

Alan

Final trip total 2255 miles with an overall average of 17.54 mpg

The day started in Fortuna and pretty quick you are in the redwoods, as mentioned previously the Avenue of the Giants is a worthy diversion, for the most part it follows the Eel River.

On the way home I tried to see if I could get a good read on a highway MPG, Once I thought I was clear of traffic and basically on open highway I stopped and topped off, did my best to cruise, go figure one of the worst tanks? 17.43, I guess 70 mph is not optimum.

Weather I take the Barracuda or my truck people ask me why I don't fly, it's quicker, cheaper. I'd say read this a couple times and ask me again. The car even filthy as it is would always get comments at stops and thumbs up on the highway. The funny part is I didn't see this as taking a classic car on a road trip but more taking my car and not the truck. Would I take it again? heck yea! Just probably not this early in the season. These trips are always more about family but I do what I can to enjoy getting there, even if it is a route I have taken before.
2019-03-31_002-jpg.jpg

2019-03-31_010-jpg.jpg

2019-03-31_013-jpg.jpg

2019-03-31_020-jpg.jpg

Alan

Last edited:
Final trip total 2255 miles with an overall average of 17.54 mpg

The day started in Fortuna and pretty quick you are in the redwoods, as mentioned previously the Avenue of the Giants is a worthy diversion, for the most part it follows the Eel River.

On the way home I tried to see if I could get a good read on a highway MPG, Once I thought I was clear of traffic and basically on open highway I stopped and topped off, did my best to cruise, go figure one of the worst tanks? 17.43, I guess 70 mph is not optimum.

Weather I take the Barracuda of my truck people ask me why I don't fly, it's quicker, cheaper. I'd say read this a couple times and ask me again. The car even filthy as it is would always get comments at stops and thumbs up on the highway. The funny part is I didn't see this as taking a classic car on a road trip but more taking my car and not the truck. Would I take it again? heck yea! Just probably not this early in the season. These trips are always more about family but I do what I can to enjoy getting there, even if it is a route I have taken before.
View attachment 274203
View attachment 274204
View attachment 274205
View attachment 274206

Alan

It's hard to make memories when flying to a destination...
Thanks for letting us virtually ride along:thankyou:

Jeez, I have to get out west and drive the coastal road!

Thanks for sharing a wonderful trip!!!

:thumbsup:

I'm always planning, looking for different places to see, I say I'm scouting for places that I might like to spend some time at.

These are all different trips that I have taken to visit my brother, I generally take 2-4 days up and 2-4 days back. I try to take routes I have seen, as you can see it is getting more difficult. I may start using the Barracuda on these trips, no AC so that might play into the timing or weather I take the car or my truck.

The run into Montana was a Fly-n-Buy 1969 Polara
The run to Flagstaff started in SoCal and continued into Oregon.
I usually zoom into one of the voids and see whats there, I'm looking to eastern Washington and Idaho more and maybe Vancouver BC.
The further out I get the less time I have for sightseeing or visiting family, there is still a lot of stuff within those voids.
traveled-jpg.jpg

Alan

Back