Mud in Stub Frame

'66 Fury I

Reaction score
The stub frame on my '66 Fury is in good, solid condition. Inspection with an inspection camera, however, revealed quite an accumulation of mud at the rear end of both side rails. The mud is dry as powder, but I would like to remove it. Problem is that there is no access for a vacuum and no drainage to flush it out. My thought is to cut a hole with a hole saw in the bottom of the rails near the transmission crossmember and flush it out. I could then dry it out with the exhaust of a shop vac and apply some rust prevention.
Anyone have a better suggestion? If I do this I could weld the slugs back in (before the rust prevention!).
Thanks in advance! Lindsay

G'Day,
Chassis Work can be somewhat Temperamental.
I'd Suggest Speaking to Someone with Experience before Applying Any Sort of Heat to a Chassis.
Regards, Tony.M

I’d keep the hole size to a minimum and probably go with a stepped drill. There will be no issues welding the hole closed when you’re done.

Thanks for the replies. The welding shouldn't be difficult, I've patched frames before and weled brackets on this frame. I just thought someone might have a better idea or see a pitfall I have not forseen. I will proceed. Thanks again! Lindsay

Back