Muffler for 1976 Newport w/ 360CI?

DSSA

Reaction score
Has anyone found a stock-replacement muffler that fits these?

My muffler is bad, but the piping is fine. The only mufflers I can find for these cars are listed for the 440CI cars.

Thank you for any advice!

You're probably going to end up using a universal style muffler.

Here's what you do... Measure the pipe size and the outside dimensions of the muffler along with where the inlet and outlet are located. Once you have these, look at something like Walker muffler online catalog and match up the closest. The most important dimensions will be pipe size and length of muffler along with locations of inlet/outlet. Figure out that muffler number and search for the best deal.

I'll bet when you are all done, the same muffler for the 440 fits.

In looking for a Walker Exhaust muffler, OEM fit, I came up with a SoundFX Direct Fit, going into a 1975 Plymouth Gran Fury 360 2bbl listing, and came across a "18340" muffler with 2.5" ID entrance pipe and a 2.25" ID exit. Oval 9.75" wide and 29.25" overall length. Seems like I found that listing on the Advance Auto Parts website? With those pipe diameters, I'm suspecting there was ONE C-body muffler for the Formals. One for single exhaust and two for dual exhaust cars?

At www.partsgeek.com. I found similar things but with much better pricing. No way to cross their part number into Walker, though. Still, a SoundFX Direct Fit listing.

If you go into a typical muffler shop, they'll have a stock of universal mufflers that "will work", but will not be OEM-spec fit, by observation. Personally, I like the Walker brand as they were OEM suppliers for many car manufacturers and have OEM-spec quality items. I also like clamped connections rather than otherwise.

Looking further . . .

CBODY67

Look for a Dynomax Super Turbo as close to your length as you can find. That is if you don't mind a little more flow and maybe a little better sound.

It might just be my car, but I've blown up 3 Walker mufflers. Consider going for something a bit higher quality, I'd recommend one that's assembled with welds, not stamped

Back