My -56 will be different...

Glider

Reaction score
When I got my -56 New Yorker it had a Windsor grille (I find it better looking so no sour face from me about that) & it's been in some crash maaany years ago, probably spinning around hitting different objects on different spots of the body before coming to a stop...
The damages hasn't been to bad, just small dents in different places exept passanger side rear fender; someone's been putting loads of bondo after trying to get the dent out but waited to long so under the platic it was rusty all over...
A25 1.jpg

A25 2.JPG

& the same with some smaller spaces too.
Anyway, as I have a limited space lengthwize I bumped my legs on the silly bumper corners & was rather happy when I got offerd Imperial grilles + bumper for cheap! Ony to find the bumpre really rusty & the grilles cracked from accident...
q7.JPG

But I thought "what'he fudge, (!) I'll use the stuff anyway cus it'll look better on distance & I prefere it!".
& so it's getting there slowly, the edge going from the tops of the grilles shows it used to be a "normal" -56 Chrysler:
RejserFejs.JPG

I think I'll remove the hood ornament too. At the moment I've cut & welded the corners where the old indicators used to be & am now working on the bumper; cleaned it up by welding the old holes & put some alu primer on, a habbit from my shipping years... I've also changed the possition for the bumperettes:

TrixBumper Holes&Horns.JPG

Nice! I'm part way through my 1955 - 300 clone project, from a Windsor.
I'm also converting to 12V and a 4 speed.

Got the stock motor or something else? Is the new yorker a 354?

I sure wish the Hemi still lived there but it's long gone, now it's a 318 & A500.
A6 Engine 2.JPG

& some owner before my time had put a B&M shifter kit under(!) the dashboard for making it possible for 3 persons at the front seat, & to do that they had cut the shifter half way so it was really hard to shift...
A29 Vxl 1.jpg

I've spent weeks in the begining to make it work by moving it & putting it in different positions + drilling the shaft pieces & bolting them together a bit "side-by-side".
A29 vxl 8.JPG

Now it works but I wanna put a Hurst shifter in instead. I have a Hust in my Studebaker, maby I take that one & sell the Stude with something else.
z38.JPG

When I bought it the original rear axel was still there without e-brake & at first I thought I would fit backing plates & the rest from a 63-64 but those years are quite rare & then I was lucky to find a complete axel from some late 60's fullsize Dodge, so now that's on.

So do you have any pix of your project?

Yes I know, one can easily get 500+ hp out of a 318 but I'm still an old grumpy fart... (in that matter!)

WOW, you sure are on the right track!
So what's the size of the Hemi?

Mine is a -56, I woulda prefered -55 but this one came for a price I could afford. & it's a 4-door, I'm a family man so that's what I usually go for these days.
A19.jpg

Here's a pic from when we piced it up & it stopped halfway & had to be towed due to rust in the tank & the result of that...
A16 - Kopia.jpg

Run em while you got em, life's too short not to.
The iron hemi is a 331 out of a 55 Imp.

Best of luck, keep posting pictures of your progress.

Yes, even if we have a whole bunch of lifes we still wouldn't know where we are among them so...
That's also why I didn't do a total renovation on the Studebaker; just replaced all bad parts, cut out the few rusty spots, welded in new & painted it without any bond cuz I wanna have honest cars! & it runs all year & everywhere.
z36.JPG

Done the front now exept the bumper surface. I'm gonna fool plenty swedes when meeting them on open roads; I've on purpose put the bumperetes in a certain position & picked indicators to fit & a small trim bit on the hood... Thou I haven't done the surface around the the hood trim yet, the face I'm copying a bit is the Volvo Amazon:
(122 to people outside Sweden)

VolvoAmazon.jpg

Indicator f.JPG

Now my biggest problem is the worn steering box, I've never felt such big play in any car ever & the adjusment screw is ofcourse screwed down hard! I know where to get a secong hand one but I wanna rebuild it & I wanna do it myself!
So if anyone know of a company that sell spareparts I'll be real happy, I don't want to send it away & not be able to move the car for ages.
I know it won't fool many in the long run, just a few people a few seconds is enough...

My advice on the steering box is to check with 'Andy Bernbaum auto parts' (spelling?) or post a request with the FCBO parts wanted forum, and ask if someone has a line on 56 steering box parts, or tips on rebuilding, chances are there is the right knowhow on this forum. Other than that, swap it out with the one you can find and rebuild the one from your car so you can still drive it around while you chip away at rebuilding it yourself. Then swap it in for the replacement and sell off the replacement (or warehouse it). ''The 300 club' may also have leads on parts & resources. The movie, 300 .... it's not about Chryslers, don't need to watch it.

Later boxes have the adjusting screw on the top to set the preload on the sector shaft bearings, and a large lock nut on the rear (around the input shaft) which can be loosened to allow adjustment of the preload on the worm gear bearings. I have no info on a '56 box, but if you have a FSM, you could check it out. Just an idea. Looks great! Keep us posted. Lindsay
FSM is availible for free download @mymopar.com

Adjustment screwed down to bottom looong time ago & now the car is very "exiting" (in a bad way) to drive above 30m/h.

mymopar has 2 service videos and print bulletins on the -56 power steering box. They show worm shaft bearing adjustment proceedres and might be helpful. Lindsay

Aha, do you have any link to those videos? (I've adjusted many steering boxes since 1977 so I hope I learn something new!)

The videos and downloadable versions are on mymopar.com. This is the same site that has the FSM availible for free download. Click on "Master Tech Service Film Library", then click "By Model Year". There you will find "Powerflite and Power Steering" and "Powerflite, Power Steering & Brake Service". I hope you will find some helpful info. Of course, a complete rebuild may still be necessary, but you may be able to enjoy some less "exciting" driving!
I have never seen a box like yours, but my '66 manual box feels great with a good disassembly, cleaning, new seals and adjistment as outlined in the FSM.
Your project looks great! Keep us posted. Lindsay

Thanx a lot!
& No I reckon not many have seen those boxes as they're two year model only.

Last edited:
Back