my buddy's 60 Desoto Adventurer project

marko

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
my friend pulled his car out of the storage building /former chicken coop its been stored in for a few years now - lots of cars in there, the building is 300 ft long.
its a car that had a major restoration done quite a few years ago and only the interior needed to be reassembled.
but the paint on the left rear began lifting about a year after it was done; the trim on that side was removed and then it would up sitting until 2017.
he bought it about 2 years ago and last friday we hauled it out.
again the benefits of him being a flat deck operator come in handy.

the plan is to get the paint done where it needs it and to paint the roof "Nassau White" like it came from the factory.
the car's original colour was Terra Cotta Metallic - only used in 1960 for Canadian Desotos
383 dual 4s, ps, pb, poke a matic trans, swivel seats and toilet seat trunk lid.

being a Canadian Desoto it came with Saratoga style interior trim in Terra Cotta.
during the resto the interior was done in red and white.........

he doesnt care for the toilet seat trunk lid that was on it so it now has a regular chrysler one which needs painting.
but the original will prob go back on

20210925_134951.jpg

20220423_151111_resized.jpg

20220423_151132_resized.jpg

20220423_151224_resized.jpg

20230127_110017_resized.jpg

20230127_110150_resized.jpg

20230127_110248_resized.jpg

20230127_110204_resized.jpg

20230127_110317_resized.jpg

20230127_111107_resized.jpg

Congrats to your friend! The Canadian-built cars are always interesting where they use different colors and interiors than the more common US-built cars as you pointed out. The National DeSoto Club has a registry for all 1960 DeSotos and, if your friend is willing, we'd love to add this to the list. He can email Jim, who maintains the list, at the email listed at www.desoto.org/1960-2 to do this and to get help in decoding his data plate

On the note of the National DeSoto Club, I would highly recommend you friend joins, especially if he is planning to look for any parts. The annual convention this year is also being held in Canada, Chatham, Ontario to be exact, though I realize it is still a long way from your part of the country.

Membership: www.desoto.org/membership
Convention details (as available): www.desoto.org/events

The missing taillight chevrons can be purchased here: Taillight Chevrons 1960 Desoto

David, Editor DeSoto Adventures

1956 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman
1959 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman
1966 Plymouth Fury III

Nice, I like the 60s style the most out of all DeSotos. The frontend looks a little mean and beefy, trim is styled great and the rear lights are just on point with the chevrons which this one is missing. Great car, plus nicely equipped with swivel seats etc. Great car

Congrats to your friend! The Canadian-built cars are always interesting where they use different colors and interiors than the more common US-built cars as you pointed out. The National DeSoto Club has a registry for all 1960 DeSotos and, if your friend is willing, we'd love to add this to the list. He can email Jim, who maintains the list, at the email listed at www.desoto.org/1960-2 to do this and to get help in decoding his data plate
On the note of the National DeSoto Club, I would highly recommend you friend joins, especially if he is planning to look for any parts. The annual convention this year is also being held in Canada, Chatham, Ontario to be exact, though I realize it is still a long way from your part of the country.
Membership: www.desoto.org/membership
Convention details (as available): www.desoto.org/events
The missing taillight chevrons can be purchased here: Taillight Chevrons 1960 Desoto
David, Editor DeSoto Adventures

hi david,
thanks for the info and links ( he knew of the chevrons at Van's.
i will prob get in touch with Jim, my friend isnt a car club joiner or even a member on this site for that matter ,which is why i post our little adventures.
i see the meet is july 26-30th, too bad i will just miss it - i will be at moparfest this year in august.

Nice car, I like the deck lid swap. Can he put the DeSoto ornaments On the Chrysler lid? They are part of the car. Toilet lids look good on Imperials, but nothing else IMO.

I missed that 60 NY by a hair when he got it off CL. Don’t you guy have enough cars in Canada? LOL

we still have to investigate if the Desoto bits will work on the chrysler lid. the toilet lid has already been painted which is why it might go on, but the painter doing the work will have no prob matching the existing paint.

the 60 NY's seized 413 has been rebuilt and beefed up abit, its become a 426 but looks stock hehe.
the engine compartment has been restored - a battery had blown up years ago.
it now belongs to @Islander60 its a stunning car with incredible original interior - the rubber seals are soft, seat foam isnt degraded, just amazing.

20220423_120700_resized.jpg

20200113_141610_resized.jpg

20220526_144539_resized.jpg

and of course another friend here in Victoria also has a 60 Adventurer.
heres a link to @FK3 Sport Fury 's car

my friend pulled his car out of the storage building /former chicken coop its been stored in for a few years now - lots of cars in there, the building is 300 ft long.
its a car that had a major restoration done quite a few years ago and only the interior needed to be reassembled.
but the paint on the left rear began lifting about a year after it was done; the trim on that side was removed and then it would up sitting until 2017.
he bought it about 2 years ago and last friday we hauled it out.
again the benefits of him being a flat deck operator come in handy.

the plan is to get the paint done where it needs it and to paint the roof "Nassau White" like it came from the factory.
the car's original colour was Terra Cotta Metallic - only used in 1960 for Canadian Desotos
383 dual 4s, ps, pb, poke a matic trans, swivel seats and toilet seat trunk lid.

being a Canadian Desoto it came with Saratoga style interior trim in Terra Cotta.
during the resto the interior was done in red and white.........

he doesnt care for the toilet seat trunk lid that was on it so it now has a regular chrysler one which needs painting.
but the original will prob go back on

View attachment 578928

View attachment 578929

View attachment 578930

View attachment 578931

View attachment 578932

View attachment 578933

View attachment 578934

View attachment 578935

View attachment 578936

View attachment 578937
I am a like-minded person. Two of the most underappreciated cars ever. Makes me miss my 1960 New Yorker....but stay tuned...

Back