My Eagle is off.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Eagle medallion at the rear of My 1973 Imperial is offset to the right. I want to centre the medallion, but my friend insists I leave it alone as the car came that way and its original.
Opinions ? Centre the Medallion or leave it offset?
IMG_0659.JPG

Yep, that would bug me.
It does look to be in line with the trunk key latch.

Park the car on an angle, that’ll straighten right up.. lol.

I say leave it if it can from the factory that way.. shows the car Character as they weren’t all perfect from the factory..

I'd fix it. Something like that doesn't hurt the originality of the car. If I was the original purchaser I would have made the dealer fix it.

IS the emblem centered on the deck lid? IS the bumper centered on the body?

If you change the emblem on the deck lid, that's going to be some involved body work. Patching the existing hole and then making a new hole which is centered on the deck lid. Would definitely be easier to adjust the bumper, depending upon how the brackets are configured.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If you draw an imaginary line down from the trunk key cylinder it appears to be lined up with the bumper. Moving the emblem should be no big deal. I would have done it already if it was my car.

From your picture, the emblem is off in relation to the trunk lock as well. But if you are going to drill two new holes, I think the old ones would still be covered by the emblem.

I checked the pictures of my donor car, but had not very good ones of how it looks like underneith the emblem. But maybe these help:
2019-01-14 19.27.24.jpg2019-01-14 19.27.32.jpg2020-01-24 21.20.14.jpg1972 Imperial 4dr Hardtop 179.jpg

I was thinking that it might have enough give to slide back to centre. I did not emagine that the holes would be off. I see next week when I bring in. Trunk and bumper cantered. But the body prep before paint is not what I would have expected for an Imperial. It is an original paint un molested car.

From your picture, the emblem is off in relation to the trunk lock as well. But if you are going to drill two new holes, I think the old ones would still be covered by the emblem.

I checked the pictures of my donor car, but had not very good ones of how it looks like underneith the emblem. But maybe these help:
View attachment 509389View attachment 509390View attachment 509391View attachment 509392
From your photo of medallion back side, it looks like it is a compression fit, so loosening the screws and just slide back to centre, then retighten.

2019-11-23 09.31.50.jpg

I don't think so, there are screw holes in the panel.
But just remove your emblem and check how it looks like on your car.

The medallion is definitely the part that is offset and misaligned. Look at the angles with the bumper center and trunk lock. This may have been installed by the factory this way, but it was installed wrong. I would fix it. Drill new holes and the old ones will just get covered up...

1644346685094.png

The Eagle medallion at the rear of My 1973 Imperial is offset to the right. I want to centre the medallion, but my friend insists I leave it alone as the car came that way and its original.
Opinions ? Centre the Medallion or leave it offset?View attachment 508925

Every time I try to fix a problem like this, I usually eff it up and make the problem worse. . . Leave it alone.

Back