My first C-body: Poppy, a low-miles red 1970 Polara convertible

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I joined FCBO in January 2012. Many posts later, I still have not started a thread devoted to my first C-body: Poppy, the ER6 G-code 1970 Polara convertible that I bought from the second owner in March 2018 and had on the road again, for the first time in 32 years, two months later.

When the car first surfaced on FCBO in summer 2014, it had 31,208 miles on the odometer and a $200k asking price (yes, 2-0-0 the seller was a really nice person but received poor advice early on). That was still the mileage when I bought it (for way, way, WAY less!) 3.5 years later after many more threads on this board and individual discussions with @polara71

Yesterday was Memorial Day, so here is a photo that I took last fall of the car with an American flag in the background. More photos are in Poppy's garage.

IMG_2310.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice looking convertible! And 31,000 miles is awesome. As a veteran, I also thank you for the flag in the background. That's a fine act of remembrance.

Very nice looking convertible! And 31,000 miles is awesome. As a veteran, I also thank you for the flag in the background. That's a fine act of remembrance.
Thank you!

Gratitude is the word that comes to my mind on Memorial Day. But one word without the other would be pointless.

That is one nice looking C Body!

In the mid 1980s I had a 1969 300 convertible: yellow with a white interior, 440, console auto.
Nice car wish I still had it.

At a traffic light I put the top down (which got everyone's attention) and my buddy and I stood up,
dropped our pants and mooned the cars behind us. The light turned green and off we went.

There is no way I could print 1/10 of what I did in the late 1960s and on up on this forum. I did have fun for sure and
never got arrested, wrecked a car, or hurt myself. Pipe bombs, Molotov cocktail (once), oxygen-acetylene balloons, etc.

I can attest to the balloons creating the most noise. Launching them with helium balloons for lift and a 15 minute timed
fuse. The blast was amazing at maybe 3 miles away. Best part no shrapnel. Had one blow 20 feet from me. NOT good.
Static spark.

Last edited:
A month ago, I created a separate thread where @david hill 's restoration efforts of Poppy are being documented, see here.

Back