My first Formal 1975 Gran Custom 2 door hardtop

66l78rat

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I love how these formals drive!! A little tighter and a little less floaty than my 69 SF. Im learning about and loving the differences between the 75 Custom and Brougham- quad headlamps but especially like having the Blues Mobile type little o speedometer!! Any Formal experts know of other differences? I would like to know how many 2 dr ht Customs we made? Mine has the upgraded all vinyl blue interior.

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

According to Godshall's article in Collectible Automobile, April 2012, the total production number for the 1975 Custom 2-door Hardtop Coupe was 6,041.

@commando1:
For 1975 the Gran Fury Custom came as a 2-door hardtop, a 4-door hardtop, a 4-door sedan and 2 and 3-row Suburbans. It was the successor to the 1974 Fury III.
In 1976 you had the same body styles in the Custom trim level, except for the 4-door hardtop, of course.
In 1977 the Custom trim level was gone.

Fun fact: the 1974 III - 1975-1976 Custom trim level (PH) had a different front for every model year.
1974: dual headlamps
1975: dual headlamps with cross-hair grille
1976: single headlamps

Last edited:
Beautiful car! Glad to see there are still some nice ones around!

I liked the Formals as the belt line was lowered a bit, giving it the "airier" feel of the Slabs, which I liked. I liked the generally tighter suspension calibration, too. More fun to drive and enjoy. That car looks perfectly at home in front of the house.

Congrats,
CBODY67

According to Godshall's article in Collectible Automobile, April 2012, the total production number for the 1975 Custom 2-door Hardtop Coupe was 6,041.

@commando1:
For 1975 the Gran Fury Custom came as a 2-door hardtop, a 4-door hardtop, a 4-door sedan and 2 and 3-row Suburbans. It was the successor to the 1974 Fury III.
In 1976 you had the same body styles in the Custom trim level, except for the 4-door hardtop, of course.
In 1977 the Custom trim level was gone.

Fun fact: the 1974 III - 1975-1976 Custom trim level (PH) had a different front for every model year.
1974: dual headlamps
1975: dual headlamps with cross-hair grille
1976: single headlamps
Trying to keep straight the Formal Fury models will drive one insane. For the non c body person, it's even worse.

Trying to keep straight the Formal Fury models will drive one insane. For the non c body person, it's even worse.
Ive been learning this the last month or so, it makes these Formals even more interesting for me, and im just talking about the P and D cars.

Nice ride. I like the cor combo. Fun cruiser for sure.

That's one beautiful and clean Gran Fury coupe.

Love these formal coupes. I regret letting a 74 Monaco and a Fury coupe slip through my fingers years ago. And I'm still looking. So I'd be lying if I wasn't a little bit jealous of you.
:thumbsup:

Finally somebody who mentions styling!

When you look up Elwood Engel, you can mostly read about his work on Sixties models, whereas the Formal C-bodies are almost never mentioned. Or should I omit "almost" and just say "are never mentioned"?

Among Elwood's Formals, already suffering from being ignored style-wise, the most formal of all is the Newport 4-door sedan. Is it a coincidence that exactly this body style is at the bottom of the favorites list?

Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the sedan.
My hardtop NYB, after adjustment, was as dry as it can be even through the carwash. But eventually the additional wind noise started to bother me as it was not befitting a car of its luxury cruiseliner ride.

I'll say it too, love the the color. Why did they ever paint them in that ugly tan color when more cars should have been this sharp blue!

Back