My wife's 67 Newport Custom

You're on the point Stan with your general observation from the originality standpoint in Europe, they don't know these cars from the days they came off the assembly line in original condition and there is a high percentage who don't care, they want to stand out in the crowd; I feel the Mopar guys are a bit more concerned and historically interested.
If they run and have no big repair issues it's mostly alright.
Knew a middle aged guy with a Walter Mitty complex that had to look up the model year of his 67 Cadillac DeVille sedan and did not have the slightest idea where this model ranked in GM or Cadillac model hierarchy

Klaus,

there are really differences between the countries in europe. A lot of guys here in central europe do lesser quality work. But scandinavia (exspecially sweden) is really far ahead and has a long culture in importing american iron. I own a 70 Hemi Charger which was importet to sweden in 1973 in example. A lot of swedes have done fabulous restorations on a lot of different US classics. Try Västeras and you will know what I mean

Surely talking about what I see in my area and as a rule of thumb, lack of originality does not mean lack of quality.
When cars are redone that had bad interiors you often see high quality genuine leather interiors for example which surpasses the quality of original materials. Also some mixing up of different eras, like doing a mid seventies car hot rod style with a primered body and wide whites with red rims and baby moons etc., they even do this to German cars.

Last edited:
Bad taste is universal and knows no boundries. Look at the Pakastani trucks that look like parade floats designed by Salvadore Dali on LSD.

< Sent from my tablet >

And the trucks smell like Salvador Dali if you dug him up today....

220px-Salvador_Dali_NYWTS.jpg

Finally...the car is painted :)

My buddy picked it up from the painter this weekend and I must say we're very pleased with how it turned out. It was cloudy outside and he used his phone camera, so the sparkle in the flakes do not show in the pics. But here is a preview on "Blonde Ambition" as it's gonna be named by pinstriping on the trunk lid ;)

The painter also detailed the grille and tail light bezels as you can see. I think he did it well too :)
IMG_7411.JPGIMG_7408.jpgIMG_7405.JPGIMG_7407.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7405.JPG

IMG_7407.JPG

Looks really nice, I bet you guys can't wait to see it with your own eyes.

Looks really nice, I bet you guys can't wait to see it with your own eyes.

Oh yes indeed. I think the Magnum 500's will be just perfect on the car and really look forward to seing it with the wheels and re-chromed bumpers mounted :)

Looking good! There's nothing worse than having metal flake on a cloudy day! I know how that goes.

Due to new projects this old girl might be for sale. Over $10,000 in body and paint alone. Will not take a penny less than $15,000. Runs and drives like a dream. Bumpers etc will be mounted soon and new pics will come.

Wow, I guess your wife didn't like the results. I think it looks pretty nice. I like that it is a console/bucket seat interior, I would think that's a fairly rare Newport option.

After trashing all the trim and light "hot-rodding", this car wouldn't even get a second glance from me. Yet another clean, original goes down in flames when fickle tastes move on.

GLWS.

Wow, I guess your wife didn't like the results. I think it looks pretty nice. I like that it is a console/bucket seat interior, I would think that's a fairly rare Newport option.

Oh she loves the result, it's just a matter of priorities. We live over in Norway and it will cost a bit in shipping and taxes + all the stuff we still would do before considering it done and ready for shipping. Besides, we bought a 91 ZR-1 this summer that really got us hooked on the LT5 fever :)

Kind of a bummer. I bet you could have flipped it nicely before all that paint and body work.

Oh well. Good luck with the sale!

Back