My wife's 67 Newport Custom

So, a few years have passed since we sold it and now it seems we might just buy it back and finally bring it over to Norway like we always wanted to.

The buyer upgraded it further with a few NOS parts and got new leaf springs, antenna, headlights, rubber bushings, wheel cylinders, brake hoses, water pump, heavy duty Monroe shocks etc. All fluids were changed and the fuel system flushed and new sending unit installed.

One thing we would like to upgrade however is to convert from drum to disc brakes, and in that regard I would like some input on parts or kits to use from your own experiences.

I see Leeds Brakes has a few conversion kits but know nothing about them.

All input is appreciated.

received_183792388046512.jpeg

received_1344684783070662.jpeg

I see Leeds Brakes has a few conversion kits but know nothing about them.
From everything I've read, I would stay away from the Leeds conversion. There seems to always be issues with mounting the GM type booster and the calipers/rotors may be undersize for a C-body.

The best disc brake conversion I've seen for these cars uses Chrysler based parts. DISC-O-TECH: Stop on a dime from Mopar Action and Rick Ehrenberg for example.

Honestly, in good condition, with good parts, the drums are good. The limiting factor in stopping is tires... I'm not saying it's a bad upgrade, just not as needed as some will have you believe.

Velkommen!

I just saw this thread.

My wife and I were in Stavanger (relatives nearby ) and Oslo this past September. I also have been to Trondheim (relatives from nearby) and Bergen, all visited via car.

What a treat for you and your wife to have had and seek another C body!

Very nice car! Look forward to hearing how it makes the trip to Norway. FWIW I agree with the sentiment "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There is nothing wrong with properly serviced drum brakes.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Only reason for wanting disc brakes is safety. Not very long ago 5 people was killed in a 59 Cadillac when the brakes faded going down from a mountain pass and they ended up not being able to make a sharp bend. Drums are ok as long as they aren't put under constant braking over time like long downhill roads etc. Just to be on the safe side

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Only reason for wanting disc brakes is safety. Not very long ago 5 people was killed in a 59 Cadillac when the brakes faded going down from a mountain pass and they ended up not being able to make a sharp bend. Drums are ok as long as they aren't put under constant braking over time like long downhill roads etc. Just to be on the safe side
IMHO, the Caddy brakes aren't as good as the brakes on your Chrysler.

You can investigate having one of the brake companies reline shoes with a better material... And many times, the brake fluid in old cars is never changed, so moisture in the old fluid lowers the boiling point dramatically.

Be that as it may... Just stay away from the kits like Leeds and others sell if you are really convinced you want to do this.

Not being morbid, but I'm curious as to the details involved and how the media covered it. Do you have a link to the story?

I remember the brakes on my 68 NewPort fading at 40 on an 80-mph level road stop. I don't know if they were Chrysler factory shoes or not. But definitely remember the fade.

Right out of winter storage and first leg of the journey is done. Next will be to Newark NJ and ro-ro shipping to Norway along with junior's 69 Barracuda Formula S 340 4 speed

received_783084836611865.jpeg

received_961886184813711.jpeg

Dr. RU came over to put the final touch on it. My buddy came up with the name since it was my wife who wanted us to restore it when she first saw it back in 2010

received_776030547771583.jpeg

Screenshot_20240320_094134_Gallery.jpg

Back