My Journey has come to an end...

The way some techs move around these days (and past days), you never know if a dealership tech is from the dealer's brand or from another brand of vehicle. Of course, almost all OEMs have some sort of dealership training program they have to pass if the dealership gets all of their OEM incentive money.

A large dealership with a good size used car operation, usually ends up servicing those "other-brand" vehicles in their shop. Sometimes it works fine, other times, not so well as they have a "learning curve" to deal with via Alldata or similar information sources.

Other than the basic sale of the vehicle, the dealership can also get "backside money" from financing the vehicle, extended warranties, etc. to enhance their basic sale profit amount.

Many dealerships will arbitrarily limit the vehicles they put on their used car lot via mileage limits, plus condition of the basic vehicle. Once it's traded-for, then it goes to the check-out shop for an estimate. If the estimate exceeds what the used car manager desires to spend, then it goes straight to our wholesale auction lot (where we hold our own auctions every week or so). Sometimes, some "good" cars get put there, due to the miles being a little too high, for example, so they make good tote-the-note cars for another dealer somewhere.

If the vehicle is "Certified Pre-owned", that usually kicks things up a few notches as to vehicle mechanical condition. A tougher inspection process and (used to be) use of OEM parts to repair it (rather than auto supply items) in many cases.

About 40 years ago, I found a GM Used Car Merchandising Manual of sorts. Their orientation, back then, was to wash and clean up the trade-in, then put it on the lot. If it sold, good. If it didn't sell in 30 days, THEN put repair money into it, rather than up-front. Now-a-days, if it doesn't sell in 30 days, it goes to the auction . . . possibly before any "floorplan" interest kicks in.

CBODY67

We would have pursued a 2014 Charger R/T if the worthless guy who cared more about his suit than selling a car, would have bothered to show any interest in selling the damn thing than telling me they usually don't keep a car for more than 45 days (42 days when we stopped), or getting my number to let me know if it sold. Never did he even react when I asked him to fix the seal for the wing on the trunk, or to look into the vibration and pull to the right. Laura really liked the car and would have liked to have looked into it more, but Mr. Pretty boi had to be a complete *** hat. I told him to give me a number that I couldn't refuse - nothing. Not even a smirk, chuckle or a "price is on the sticker".

I went in with the attitude of "screw it", he didn't want to play that game. I would have preferred a salesman who tried to SELL me on the thing. Guess that's a lost art too.

They kept repeating that that trust their mechanic & it passes inspection. his license is on the line sir he wouldn't make mistakes like this... yada yada yada...

Problem is, he is a Honda mechanic not a Dodge or general repairs mechanic.
In the dealer world all you need to know if that Brand.

In the private non dealer world as a mechanic you are expected to know every make model & brand or you're an idiot!

I used to go through this all the time when a BMW would roll into the shop and the owner expected us to know right away how to fix the car.
I would state right away it would take time to review the correct way to do it which made for a very happy customer most days unless we couldn't get the car in and out in a single day or hour at some times...
Thisa even included resetting the oil service interval computer which a ton of general wrenches missed way too often.
BMW at the time had a special tool to interface with the computer to reset it and they didn't sell it to anyone but the BMW garages.
talk about cornering the customer into a $200+ oil service.
I'm going to weigh back in, because I respect the other members and don't mean to be argumentative with any of you folks. You mention BMW, in my gas station days, I'd look into any repair and only decline a domestic or asian product repair if it was a money loser... no deep engine or transmission work for example... last shop was across from a Ford dealer and I sent all of the early probes with inoperative seat belts to them. My BMW customers... I would explain that there just wasn't any way for me to service their cars properly without a giant investment in tools. It's foolish, IMO, for a small shop to try to work on everything.

As for my dealer experience, many of the dealers with a large off brand presence on their used lot would have a separate used car tech(s), who usually had a skill level such that I wouldn't allow them to tie my shoes. I would bet the guy was more interested in his paycheck than his license and might have been foolish enough to let his manager convince him it was going to be OK. For some reason, Honda techs seem to be low paid... from all I've heard. Maybe there was something more legitimate than I believe there, but I'd remain skeptical of everyone involved in your transaction. I'm just hopeful that you get through this next trade with a lot less drama.

BTW, lots of those dealers pushing lots of used junk BUY at auction... they know their getting other dealer's losers, they either believe they can sell it to their clientele or they are just working on that quick buck.

Honestly, you had me worried! With mentions in the past of health struggles you are coping with, I was afraid this post was notice of a terminal illness.

No not just yet. They say "Only the good die young" so I'll be around for many years yet! LOL!

Sorry about that, I was just having a play on words. :lol:

I'm going to weigh back in, because I respect the other members and don't mean to be argumentative with any of you folks. You mention BMW, in my gas station days, I'd look into any repair and only decline a domestic or Asian product repair if it was a money loser... no deep engine or transmission work for example... last shop was across from a Ford dealer and I sent all of the early probes with inoperative seat belts to them. My BMW customers... I would explain that there just wasn't any way for me to service their cars properly without a giant investment in tools. It's foolish, IMO, for a small shop to try to work on everything.

As for my dealer experience, many of the dealers with a large off brand presence on their used lot would have a separate used car tech(s), who usually had a skill level such that I wouldn't allow them to tie my shoes. I would bet the guy was more interested in his paycheck than his license and might have been foolish enough to let his manager convince him it was going to be OK. For some reason, Honda techs seem to be low paid... from all I've heard. Maybe there was something more legitimate than I believe there, but I'd remain skeptical of everyone involved in your transaction. I'm just hopeful that you get through this next trade with a lot less drama.

BTW, lots of those dealers pushing lots of used junk BUY at auction... they know their getting other dealer's losers, they either believe they can sell it to their clientele or they are just working on that quick buck.

I agree with you on this.
- In this case they claim the one of 2 mechanics quit right after we bought the Journey and they were down to 1 and 2 unlicensed tech assistants that requires the licensed tech to have to recheck all their work and he still had to do his work too boot.
I understood this since I had this position at one dealership. (I was paid a percentage of what they performed so I took the time to train them and oversee their work.)
I was paid very well to do this at the time.
If it was no good, I told them right away and how they should be doing it even if it meant them sitting in the lunch room studying the FSM's to read on how to do it.
I remember one Irish kid we nicknamed "The Butcher" because he either cut or broke anything he touched.
He had managed to pass the schooling and get his ticket but he didn't last long at the shop.
Unfortunately bad mechanics wander from shop to shop...

Another was nicknamed "Recall Rick" because he quite simply would claim to do the work but in reality was hiding the parts and giving he engine or whatever he did a clean up and call it a day! We suffered his fall out for over a year...

After he got all upset when confronted with this he tossed his top tool chest onto the back of his truck on the tailgate and drove away. As he did it fell out and all his tools scattered! it was quite satisfying that karma bit him in the *** since he felt he was justified in doing what he did to our customers and our reputation was severely damaged because of his laziness.

Once the dust has settled, I'm considering calling in OMVIC to try to recoup my losses

Last edited:
We would have pursued a 2014 Charger R/T if the worthless guy who cared more about his suit than selling a car, would have bothered to show any interest in selling the damn thing than telling me they usually don't keep a car for more than 45 days (42 days when we stopped), or getting my number to let me know if it sold. Never did he even react when I asked him to fix the seal for the wing on the trunk, or to look into the vibration and pull to the right. Laura really liked the car and would have liked to have looked into it more, but Mr. Pretty boi had to be a complete *** hat. I told him to give me a number that I couldn't refuse - nothing. Not even a smirk, chuckle or a "price is on the sticker".

I went in with the attitude of "screw it", he didn't want to play that game. I would have preferred a salesman who tried to SELL me on the thing. Guess that's a lost art too.

Well it worked on me at this dealership! LOL!

The newest Mopar is now home
It also happens to be white too
A22B892B-6ACC-4E4B-A524-BFEEEE66712F.jpeg
FF3E260C-1E5C-46B3-B609-BB93C1A07B44.jpeg

Just went back and read through this thread. Brutal! First congrats on the fine new vehicle. As a technically challenged individual who knows just enough to get in over his head I can only admire your ability to manage this situation which can best be described as a legalised scam. Most people with FT employment do not have the time or resources to confront these scam artists and instead take their losses and move on. It seems here in Ontario our government is too busy worrying about the sensibilities of designated groups under the Human Rights Code to give much thought to meaningful consumer protection.

Just went back and read through this thread. Brutal! First congrats on the fine new vehicle. As a technically challenged individual who knows just enough to get in over his head I can only admire your ability to manage this situation which can best be described as a legalised scam. Most people with FT employment do not have the time or resources to confront these scam artists and instead take their losses and move on. It seems here in Ontario our government is too busy worrying about the sensibilities of designated groups under the Human Rights Code to give much thought to meaningful consumer protection.

Thanks Fred.
I was fortunate that this dealer is just around the corner from where I live & work???:confused::confused::confused:

I understand and would never run a business like this but they do as do other dealers out there.

Niagara Auto sales was a different experience and seem like a good bunch of people in Welland. We had intentions of buying used but they just didn't have what we were looking for.

Back