need a bit of help with my 70 SF

70Tom

Reaction score
OK, I need a bit of help confirming a couple things/best technique to use on my 70 SF interior. Basically, I am restoring the entire interior. There were a ton of mice/rats living in there at some point and it is/was filthy. I have dismantled and cleaned, scraped, painted most of it. Last thing to go in there is under the dreaded dash. It is a mess under/behind there. I have removed the glove box, radio, dash pad, A/C ducts, defroster ducts. I have an assembly manual. My questions are more technique (for the most part).

Here we go:

1) Because it's so filthy under there, would you remove the entire dash (the dash frame or whatever it's called) from the car? I can't tell if this would create way more work or would make things easier. It's always tough to tell due to the amount of wiring and tubing that makes it somewhat daunting. Or should I just leave it in there and remove what I can and clean it?

2) Heater box: It appears that the studs used to mount the engine firewall box are actually affixed to the inner heater box. And then there's the bracket that mounts/holds it to the inside firewall. I basically want to a) remove and check the heater core and probably replace it, and b) clean out the heater box because god knows what's been living in there. What's the best way to do this? Remove the firewall nuts and the inside bracket and remove the whole interior box, or it appears there are bolts that hold the two inside pieces together and just "split it" to remove the core and clean it?

3) Speedo center cluster/steering column: I still need to remove this from the car and thoroughly clean it, replace some switches, do some paint touch up, etc. Even after looking at the assembly manual and seeing what bolts hold the steering column to the dash, and even looking down at the column with the windshield out and the dash pad off, I can't figure what nuts to remove. I remove the ones that seem obvious and it literally doesn't budge more than an inch or so. I undid all bolts to the firewall. What am I missing? Am I removing the wrong nuts from the column? Or do I need to release the column from the pivot joint a the steering gear box?

I think that's all for now. Time is of the essence here due to space/garage issues and the upholsterer awaits and he's fitting me in. I still need to get the windshield column cleaned up of old gasket, dirt and rust. Once that happens I'll patch and paint it. Then onto the issues above.

OK, I need a bit of help confirming a couple things/best technique to use on my 70 SF interior. Basically, I am restoring the entire interior. There were a ton of mice/rats living in there at some point and it is/was filthy. I have dismantled and cleaned, scraped, painted most of it. Last thing to go in there is under the dreaded dash. It is a mess under/behind there. I have removed the glove box, radio, dash pad, A/C ducts, defroster ducts. I have an assembly manual. My questions are more technique (for the most part).

Here we go:

1) Because it's so filthy under there, would you remove the entire dash (the dash frame or whatever it's called) from the car? I can't tell if this would create way more work or would make things easier. It's always tough to tell due to the amount of wiring and tubing that makes it somewhat daunting. Or should I just leave it in there and remove what I can and clean it?

2) Heater box: It appears that the studs used to mount the engine firewall box are actually affixed to the inner heater box. And then there's the bracket that mounts/holds it to the inside firewall. I basically want to a) remove and check the heater core and probably replace it, and b) clean out the heater box because god knows what's been living in there. What's the best way to do this? Remove the firewall nuts and the inside bracket and remove the whole interior box, or it appears there are bolts that hold the two inside pieces together and just "split it" to remove the core and clean it?

3) Speedo center cluster/steering column: I still need to remove this from the car and thoroughly clean it, replace some switches, do some paint touch up, etc. Even after looking at the assembly manual and seeing what bolts hold the steering column to the dash, and even looking down at the column with the windshield out and the dash pad off, I can't figure what nuts to remove. I remove the ones that seem obvious and it literally doesn't budge more than an inch or so. I undid all bolts to the firewall. What am I missing? Am I removing the wrong nuts from the column? Or do I need to release the column from the pivot joint a the steering gear box?

I think that's all for now. Time is of the essence here due to space/garage issues and the upholsterer awaits and he's fitting me in. I still need to get the windshield column cleaned up of old gasket, dirt and rust. Once that happens I'll patch and paint it. Then onto the issues above.

Tom,

1). Heater box: Remove the entire heater box assembly; fire wall nuts in the engine bay, hoses, cables, under dash wiring etc, etc, and remove as a unit.

2.) Steering Coulmn: remove entire unit. Disconnect from steering coupler. firewall/floor mounts, and under dash mounting bracket with break away spacers. Drop it down and remove it.

strip it...itll be more work but will make life easyer do it now and you don't have to deal with it again..theres some fairly detailed dash pics ect in my GT build that may help

Since you have to go into it that deep, disassemble it in the reverse order of assembly. 1. Remove steering column. 2. Remove dashboard with the wire harness, (super easy that way), 3. Remove complete heater / A/C assembly. This will give you all the room you need to get at the firewall and do repairs.

2.) Steering Coulmn: remove entire unit. Disconnect from steering coupler. firewall/floor mounts, and under dash mounting bracket with break away spacers. Drop it down and remove it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Disconnecting from steering coupler--what tool do I use for this? I've oddly never taken apart a Mopar steering coupler. The GM ones are super simple. This doesn't look as simple. I see a hole that look like would fit an allen wrench but it feels smooth on the inside of it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Disconnecting from steering coupler--what tool do I use for this? I've oddly never taken apart a Mopar steering coupler. The GM ones are super simple. This doesn't look as simple. I see a hole that look like would fit an allen wrench but it feels smooth on the inside of it.

Nope,......that's a drift or roll pin. Tap out the roll pin,..or pound it out and the coupler will come off the steering box shaft, or you could disassemble the coupler on the shaft, but that's kind of a PITA unless you've done it a few times. Mark your shaft and the coupler with timing marks if anything it will make you feel better when you reassemble.

Nope,......that's a drift or roll pin. Tap out the roll pin,..or pound it out and the coupler will come off the steering box shaft, or you could disassemble the coupler on the shaft, but that's kind of a PITA unless you've done it a few times. Mark your shaft and the coupler with timing marks if anything it will make you feel better when you reassemble.
Ah, ok. Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

One thing to point out, if your car is real old, spray it liberally with P B Blaster. if that role pin is rusted in, you will deform it long before you move it and it will never come out. Once out replace with a new one.

One thing to point out, if your car is real old, spray it liberally with P B Blaster. if that role pin is rusted in, you will deform it long before you move it and it will never come out. Once out replace with a new one.
Thanks for the tip. I'll spay it liberally tonight and let it sit over night.

I take it the pin can go in either direction (down our up)? I plan on knocking it downward, obviously.

Back