SOLD Need a Value 71 Polara Custom 383

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone notice that there is in no letter "K" in the VON, that suggests that this was not a police cruiser, but some other type of police fleet car. It has the police equipment, but very curious because the letter K was present on nearly all police vehicles.

Dave
It has been known that other fleet departments and employees were able to use a loophole to "piggy back" on bulk cop car orders in order to get what they want.
Just an example,an officer could place an order for his own personal car same time as the new fleet being ordered..
A municipal or state Dept of any kind can also order on the same order as the State police order and get cars with same or similar equipment as when the cop cars were built yet never used as cop cars. Heck the Polara shown in this thread could be a meter maid's car for all we know,LOL!
A private security company can also piggy back on orders.
There are a few members here that have documented cars that have police equipment but never were marked cruisers.

Last edited:
So, I originally started this thread to get a value on the car. I didn't realize it would spark so much interest with so many people. I'm entertaining all offers, but 5k is the starting point.

With that said, I acquired the car a few months ago. The owner passed away years ago with no executors to sign over the car. I have the title and Dept. Of Licensing paperwork. It will be VIN verified and inspected by WSP to get a 3 year registration in lieu of title. If you have questions let me know.

The lack of a K does not preclude it being a police vehicle. PA Ordered all PSP cruisers using the base model PM Fury II. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the fender tag but it's on display at the PSP Museum a few miles from Carlisle so someday I'll get there and get a pic. I'm sure the museum is closed due to COVID-19.

PSP-HEMC-1972 Plymouth Fury Restoration

The Restoration of a Patrol Vehicle
Vintage 1972 Plymouth Fury

The car was found after a lengthy search and the odometer read a little over 84,000 miles. The car was verified as an authentic PSP vehicle by the two manufacturers broadcast sheets found behind the rear seat, on which were typed the dead-giveaway clue, the words Pennsylvania State Police. The fender tag and broadcast sheets were later decoded and revealed that the Fury II had rolled off the line in June of 1972 in Newark, Delaware. Also noted were that the car was not a Police Package car but rather a special order vehicle with a reinforced roof, heavy duty suspension, electrical and cooling systems, and a certified speedometer. There was an electrical trunk release, and no AM radio. (music could distract a Trooper from his duties). The automatic interior light switch was disabled on the car as well. This is a safety feature that is still employed today - the Troopers are
not silhouetted targets in the cruisers at night.

I found this build tag from a WA cruiser that I parted years ago, tag is rusted so I will need to get it cleaned up to photo it:
Y39 26 END
H51 M15 R11 V01 V5X Y05
EW1 B41 F13 L33 F38 G11
EW1 M1B3 EB3 206 K08283
E85 D32 PM41 T0D 198771
This car came out of the police vehicle auction but the specific agency was not listed, Tag shows that some PM cruisers also had the "K" order prefix.

Dave

@shooter65 PSP actually has 2 of the 72 Furys restored. The museum one is museum quality and should be there. The other is a #2 car they use for displays, shows, etc. They are identical.

@polara71 just buy it already...….but when you do the first order of business should be the instr panel carpet removal! Maybe @ayilar will beat you out.:poke:

Fortunately the car is not even something to consider for me...……...

So, I originally started this thread to get a value on the car. I didn't realize it would spark so much interest with so many people. I'm entertaining all offers, but 5k is the starting point.

With that said, I acquired the car a few months ago. The owner passed away years ago with no executors to sign over the car. I have the title and Dept. Of Licensing paperwork. It will be VIN verified and inspected by WSP to get a 3 year registration in lieu of title. If you have questions let me know.

Finally a starting point!

Went and looked at it today. Made what I thought was a fair offer and owner is thinking about it. Car is very honestly described and kind of it what it is. No major rust in her but little in a few places (you Midwest/east coast guys laugh at the rust in this car). Entire dash and a pillars has been “shagged”, don’t know how else to describe it. Did not crawl underneath to check numbers but engine bay was pretty original, still had original heater hoses. Such a weird car with manual steering and 22 inch radiator. It’s ordered very similarly to wsp cars but it is definitely not WSP. My guess with the manual steering is was a county car in the area. Don’t think a city car would have manual steering. Looks like it probably had a gum ball on top.

I have been wondering why the engine is black, and there seems to be plenty of rust on the valve covers (I also see specks of blue on the left valve cover and on the left side of the intake manifold). Kind of curious.

It looks like it has been towing what was probably a fairly light trailer perhaps. With a 383-4 bbl., and having a high stall converter, probably not the best towing vehicle.

Went and looked at it today. Made what I thought was a fair offer and owner is thinking about it. Car is very honestly described and kind of it what it is. No major rust in her but little in a few places (you Midwest/east coast guys laugh at the rust in this car). Entire dash and a pillars has been “shagged”, don’t know how else to describe it. Did not crawl underneath to check numbers but engine bay was pretty original, still had original heater hoses. Such a weird car with manual steering and 22 inch radiator. It’s ordered very similarly to wsp cars but it is definitely not WSP. My guess with the manual steering is was a county car in the area. Don’t think a city car would have manual steering. Looks like it probably had a gum ball on top.

I've been anxiously awaiting your review ...:thankyou:

Thanks for sharing. What a cool old Polara. I am glad to see it is still around and survived this long. I like the colour combo too with the white on blue. I think I would have to go with some white painted steel wheels and the Dodge Redline dogs on this car.

I hope someone here gets it as I would love to follow along with the progress on this car.

Dave

If anybody is curious here is what a WSP fender tag looks like. I have 4 VIN's in my registry from WSP cars, two are known to have survived.

1D292632-ft.jpg

Someone did step up. It wasn't me, though I was fortunate enough to be first in line , I didnt make sense.

If anybody is curious here is what a WSP fender tag looks like. I have 4 VIN's in my registry from WSP cars, two are known to have survived.

View attachment 379715

Thanks! The three differences I see are the engine (N- vs. U-codes), and the lack of F58 (rear reinforcement welds) and P21 (power bench) codes. Do you happen to have a build sheet by any chance (no good deed goes unpunished).

Maybe a dumb question but do we know they buyer is a member?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back