need headlight relay for 71 fury

CanCritter

Reaction score
need the hidden headlight relay for 71 fury...any leads appreciated...
Thanx

It can be replaced with a Bosch/Tyco relay pretty easily.

Buy one of these: NEW INSTALL BAY E-123 TYCO 12 VOLT 30 AMP RELAY - EACH

And one of these: NEW 12 VOLT 5 WIRE SPDT BOSCH/TYCO TYPE STYLE CAR AUTO RELAY SOCKET HARNESS

Wire per this diagram (found it on a Charger forum)

1970_Charger_headlight_door_relay_upgrade.JPG

The alternative is finding an expensive relay somewhere. I've only seen one. The Charger relay will work, again expensive, and the mounting bracket is too short.

This relay is cheaper, more reliable and it's hidden under the dash, so why sweat getting a NOS one. The advantage is it uses the relay contacts to close the doors, where the original one uses a screwy deal where it returns ground through the filaments of the bulb to close the doors. You need to have that function to upgrade to a relay system for the headlights.

This is on the winter "to do" list for my 300.

As I have to no doubt replace mine critter maybe we can practice on your car for a change...:)

Actually, if you take your time, you can do all the proper connectors and never splice or cut a wire on the original harness.

As I said, this is on the list for this winter. I'll do a little write up when I do it.

It can be replaced with a Bosch/Tyco relay pretty easily.
that's what lve been kinda thinking.....looking online for info and replacement pieces are available for rebuilding switchs...only tough part may be the base if its been heated and burnt/melted type idea

bosch switchs by the looks..belive these are set up for 66-67 hidden headlights
relays.jpg

Last edited:
that's what lve been kinda thinking.....looking online for info and replacement pieces are available for rebuilding switchs...only tough part may be the base if its been heated and burnt/melted type idea

bosch switchs by the looks..belive these are set up for 66-67 hidden headlights
relays.jpg
There's a couple problems that occur with the headlight doors and it's usually not the relay. Keep in mind that relay just opens and closes the doors and that's it.

The motor has some contacts in it that get out of adjustment or dirty, but from everything I've read and my own personal experience, the usual problem is just a dry bushing in the very bottom of the door motor. Get some oil into that bearing and the motor works.

Don't send it out to have it "rebuilt". I've taken a motor apart that was done by someone that was supposed to be "the guy". I'll not mention his name here. The motor was full of sand..... It was sand blasted to clean it up and painted...

As I have to no doubt replace mine critter maybe we can practice on your car for a change...:)

bring yer wifes white gloves......l'll supply the hazmat suit.....
There's a couple problems that occur with the headlight doors and it's usually not the relay. Keep in mind that relay just opens and closes the doors and that's it.

The motor has some contacts in it that get out of adjustment or dirty, but from everything I've read and my own personal experience, the usual problem is just a dry bushing in the very bottom of the door motor. Get some oil into that bearing and the motor works.

Don't send it out to have it "rebuilt". I've taken a motor apart that was done by someone that was supposed to be "the guy". I'll not mention his name here. The motor was full of sand..... It was sand blasted to clean it up and painted...

lm a little slow on the draw here it seems..thanx kindly for the scematic for the relay....will get that off to Paul right away...if it works is good enough for me...not gona sweat it if it isn't exactly nos...things change...
doing up a thread for motors and switchs is a great idea..mayby throw in a how to video may help...is some top notch info to be found on this site to say the least

`K....problem solved....Pauls got it sorted...took motor apart and cleaned it and greased ect...the limiter switch he replaced from one of Bills 70 fury motors that Paul still had kicking around...apparently that limiter switch is a little more robusk...anyway it all works fine....thanx for imput folks tis apprieciated....another reason for stickys for tech and fixs...

I had two of the proper Mopar relays, but neither worked properly so Paul used the aforementioned diagram and a Bosch relay. Tonight I gave Paul the stock number of the one he put in my car in case yours are nfg. It was about $20.

Back