Need help identifying this part

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
I have a 68 300 and I bought this dual snorkel air cleaner and restored it (had it media blasted, hammer n’ dolly work on some dents and painted it semi-gloss. It doesn’t fit in my car. I have after market intake and a Fi-Tech throttle body and it sits too tall under the hood. Soooooo, I’m going to sell the part but may I ask the brain trust what the proper year and application is for this air cleaner? For my intended use, it didn’t really matter because it’s not correct to my car, it was something that looked cool was all but as I list it for sale I’d like to let people know what it actually belongs to.
IMG_4531.jpeg

I have a 68 300 and I bought this dual snorkel air cleaner and restored it (had it media blasted, hammer n’ dolly work on some dents and painted it semi-gloss. It doesn’t fit in my car. I have after market intake and a Fi-Tech throttle body and it sits too tall under the hood. Soooooo, I’m going to sell the part but may I ask the brain trust what the proper year and application is for this air cleaner? For my intended use, it didn’t really matter because it’s not correct to my car, it was something that looked cool was all but as I list it for sale I’d like to let people know what it actually belongs to.View attachment 609230

Have you considered using a small diameter base that is of a drop down style. You want a base that is the same diameter as the air filter. I have used them on two of my cars. Mancini and others have them.

Have you considered using a small diameter base that is of a drop down style. You want a base that is the same diameter as the air filter. I have used them on two of my cars. Mancini and others have them.
I use a small diameter base now, and it helps but the dual snorkel is taller than the single snorkel that’s on the car now. I looked up the one on Mancini that you’re referring to, 13” drop base plate. Not an expensive experiment if it doesn’t work I’m only out $35 so worth a try. Thanks

This seems to be what I’ve got.
I'd search it over at the FBBO site. I've seen the '68's go for bigger dollars. I don't know the reason why, but you may want to do some research for yourself and see.

Best of luck, Lefty71

I'd search it over at the FBBO site. I've seen the '68's go for bigger dollars. I don't know the reason why, but you may want to do some research for yourself and see.

Best of luck, Lefty71
Thanks. I just listed it on eBay referencing the dodge/Plymouth b body application because you’re right. Bigger market there.

I believe the Imperial 440 air cleaner had a taller filter element than the Chrysler 383 and 440 dual snorkel air cleaners (all of which use the same filter element as the 383 2bbl). At least on the single snorkel units. Maybe the "440 Dual" option on the Imperials, too?

Although I have a '67 dual snorkel on my '67 Newport 383 4bbl, I later ended up with a used '68 Road Runner air cleaner from a friend (while they were still inexpensive at swap meets). It has the large base hole for a Holley carburetor, rather than the small hole for a Carter AFB prior to 1968. SAME air filter element as the 383 2bbl air cleaner, which leaves a large gap between the filter element and the outside of the dual snorkel air cleaner top. "Incognito open element" air cleaner!

There were some open element air cleaners on 383 C-bodies. No snorkels, just round top housings. Would have been in about 1963-1965 model years? Mainly on Plymouths and Dodges, rather than "luxury" Chryslers, I suspect.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

What are you trying to communicate with your links

Absolutely nothing about open air cleaners. As i said in the post earlier, he could likely get a good buck for the dual snorkel. His listing price shows he either got the message or already knew. Although i would not be a bit surprised if he got even more... his looks like a really good example, dont you think??

Back