Need some blue sail panels....why are they so hard to find online?

Steve-o

Reaction score
So I have a 68 Fury III and the interior is great aside from the sail panels and headliner.
Now that I got all the electrical working like it should, I was hoping to buy some new blue sail panels but I cant find a 100% guaranteed fit for this car or the original color blue as an option. When I was looking for courtesy light lenses I had to image search for the one my Fury takes and no where does it say it fits this car.
So what gives?? What is it about this car that I'm missing when trying to find basic parts?

Does anyone make sail panels as a correct color/fit for it or am I making my own?
Also, does anyone make the correct material for the headliner? (second pic is what's in the car)

Thanks
upload_2020-12-9_10-17-8.png

upload_2020-12-9_10-15-39.png

upload_2020-12-9_10-18-35.png

Not sure about the sail panels, but those courtesy lights were used in a lot of different models in the mid-60s. New repro lenses are available - think I saw some at Van's.

The lights are basically everywhere. Most people aren’t going to list them as fitting your car as it’s not necessarily the most popular model to sell them for but:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Courtesy-L...088596?hash=item35f6df2fd4:g:AR8AAOSw3pZbBg-4
Those are them (as an example)

The sail panels are another issue. Your gonna need to go with used parts and likely dye them to match OR for that and the headliner: SMS Auto Fabrics - The Largest Selection of Classic Auto Interiors

find your interior code and send it to them for samples. They’ll get you close if not on for the headliner. They take forever and cost a lot but they also do door cards so I can’t imagine they wouldn’t do the sail panels was well.

good luck. Been on the interior mission myself for the last little while.

SMS has that pattern for headliner. They may send you some other samples first. If they are wrong, send a snip of a hidden corner from your original, they have it.
I had to paint black sail panel to red for my car. I had the guys that were doing my paint do a color match on my old brittle panels and they sprayed them. Turned out perfect. Don't ask me how much it cost as it was in with a bunch of other parts and a very small cost in the scheme of things.
The interior paint colors and codes are in your service manual.
Also 8774PAINT1 (website and phone number) is very familiar with Mopar interior colors and was very helpful. He mixed up my Aztec Maroon Poly Suede for my dash. It was perfect. Let him know if you are doing flexible panels and he can tweak the paint for flexibility. He can mix it in spray cans or quarts. He even offered to help my paint guys when they were having trouble getting the right match or texture.

In the world of trim shop supplies, the sail panel items are probably built from the same "board" as the backing for the door trim panels. "Cut and contoured to fit", then covered with color or vinyl or whatever to make it look right.

As for the sail panel courtesy light lens, it would not surprise me if some for a popular GM car might have the same diameter and housing, but with a different lens crown shape. Might even be the same as other Chrysler products, too, as mentioned.

CBODY67

[QUOTE="Steve-o,
So what gives?? What is it about this car that I'm missing when trying to find basic parts?

Perhaps it could be because the car is 52 years old...?

Nice Fury, by the way.

[QUOTE="Steve-o,

Perhaps it could be because the car is 52 years old...?

Nice Fury, by the way.
And it's a C-body.

I would just get some extra material when ordering headliner and recover the sail panels. You should be able to repair them from what I see in the picture. This way at least they match the headliner. My Monaco sail panels and sun visors use the same material as the headliner. May not be Concours correct for your 68 but I doubt anybody will notice.

Thanks for all the tips. SMS seems to have a TON of really cool material just in general. I'll contact them after work today for samples and pull the sail panels out this weekend and see exactly what I have to work with.
The sun visors are perfect. Headliner is mostly missing and the sail panels are toast due to rats at some point in this car's life. A lot of chewed wiring which I actually really enjoy fixing wiring, so that gave me something to do and learn about. All fixed now. Everything works. Got a map light yet to install in the upper dash panel.

I was hoping to buy "off the shelf" sail panels but I have no problem making some or painting some. This is all really good info! Exactly the stuff I was hoping for.

I do understand the car is 52 years old and not everything is being made. I've been driving old cars since I got my license. The thing I find frustrating is this:
GJS nailed it I think "Most people aren’t going to list them as fitting your car as it’s not necessarily the most popular model to sell them for"
So when I say I have a 68 Fury nearly everything that pops up that looks exactly like the part I need says A and B body only. So it's really hard for me to tell if it's correct or not. Being the novice I am currently. Rant over.

If it were a Road Runner, Mustang or tri five chevy, all you need is a title. C bodys...... Ya gotta dig. Part of the charm of them.

Thanks for all the tips. SMS seems to have a TON of really cool material just in general. I'll contact them after work today for samples and pull the sail panels out this weekend and see exactly what I have to work with.
The sun visors are perfect. Headliner is mostly missing and the sail panels are toast due to rats at some point in this car's life. A lot of chewed wiring which I actually really enjoy fixing wiring, so that gave me something to do and learn about. All fixed now. Everything works. Got a map light yet to install in the upper dash panel.

I was hoping to buy "off the shelf" sail panels but I have no problem making some or painting some. This is all really good info! Exactly the stuff I was hoping for.

I do understand the car is 52 years old and not everything is being made. I've been driving old cars since I got my license. The thing I find frustrating is this:
GJS nailed it I think "Most people aren’t going to list them as fitting your car as it’s not necessarily the most popular model to sell them for"
So when I say I have a 68 Fury nearly everything that pops up that looks exactly like the part I need says A and B body only. So it's really hard for me to tell if it's correct or not. Being the novice I am currently. Rant over.

See the attached, maybe it will give you some ideas:

'67 Newport headliner, windlace, and trim

Hope the input helps.

John

SMS seems to have a TON of really cool material just in general

A forewarning about SMS...

First, quality is great. Hard to beat their stuff and the material will be the same as the OEM.

It comes with a price though... Wait time will be longer than they promise. A headliner isn't bad, I bought one for my Barracuda and it took twice as long as the quote, almost 2 months rather than the 3-4 weeks promised. It will also be more expensive. That's not surprising given they do provide matching material.

While my experience was good, others have told of abysmal customer service too. Some guys have waited years (literally) for things like door panels.

There is an alternative... Acme headliner makes headliners for everything. I believe that they may have been the OE supplier back when cars had headliners, but I could be wrong. Anyway... They will have your headliner but it won't be the correct material. It might be close enough and 99 out of 100 people won't know the difference even if it wasn't. They are also the supplier for most (if not all) of the trim shops and online vendors.

Headlining They only do wholesale sales, so you have to buy from some place like Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors I've done business with them and have been happy with price and delivery.

So, here's what I would do (and have done) is to contact SMS, get samples, price and delivery and contact Stock Interiors and ask for the same. It will come down to if the material sample is close enough to save money and time.

A forewarning about SMS...

First, quality is great. Hard to beat their stuff and the material will be the same as the OEM.

It comes with a price though... Wait time will be longer than they promise. A headliner isn't bad, I bought one for my Barracuda and it took twice as long as the quote, almost 2 months rather than the 3-4 weeks promised. It will also be more expensive. That's not surprising given they do provide matching material.

While my experience was good, others have told of abysmal customer service too. Some guys have waited years (literally) for things like door panels.

There is an alternative... Acme headliner makes headliners for everything. I believe that they may have been the OE supplier back when cars had headliners, but I could be wrong. Anyway... They will have your headliner but it won't be the correct material. It might be close enough and 99 out of 100 people won't know the difference even if it wasn't. They are also the supplier for most (if not all) of the trim shops and online vendors.

Headlining They only do wholesale sales, so you have to buy from some place like Auto Carpet for Car, Truck, Van - Stock Interiors I've done business with them and have been happy with price and delivery.

So, here's what I would do (and have done) is to contact SMS, get samples, price and delivery and contact Stock Interiors and ask for the same. It will come down to if the material sample is close enough to save money and time.

Just to pile on to this: all that Big_John said PLUS, I’ve had trouble getting in touch with SMS at all in the past. Using their services should be contingent on you desire for the exact product they supply, otherwise it seems to me it’s be way too much money and aggravation. If I wasn’t so hung up on my original headliner material/color or if my original was in any way salvageable, I’d not go with them.

Just putting that out there in case you find yourself with bile welling in your throat of their customer service... I, personally, have all the time in the world but some may not feel that way.

Best of luck, either way!

I know this is frowned upon by some....

But hit up the derby guys. They can have a bonanza of C-Body parts. Sometimes the rust buckets that they are smashing have some pretty good interior pieces.

Back