Need Source for Power Brake Booster for 1965 Dodge Monaco

65 Monaco

Reaction score
The front brakes of my '65 Monaco were converted to disc by the previous owner and the power brake booster has gone bad. I was told by the place doing the repair that I need a dual diaphragm booster. Been having trouble locating one. I did some reading on this forum and thought I read that some booster made to fit later year C-body cars would also work on my '65 Monaco. Anyone have any information on what I actually need and more importantly, where I can go to buy one? Thanks in advance.

If the mechanic is saying you need the correct booster, the original booster that you have that's gone bad was likely the incorrect drum booster.

There are new reproductions out there as indicated above. It's important to have the correct dual diaphragm booster to maximize your system's operation. Using the drum booster will likely have the brakes letting you down in the worst possible time, when you need them the most.

Booster Dewey can also sell you a correct booster, 68-71 C-Body unit. There is a core charge for that however.

Dave

And even though it is listed for a 68 - 71 C-body it will work on my 65 C-body Monaco?
Yes it is exactly like the one I installed in my 66 300. Here is where it was brought up in my thread, might want to read through it too in case any issues arise you will be ahead of the game. If the wrong booster was installed on the conversion you will also need the master which will work with this booster too. Dragging calipers on my '73 conversion

Yes, it has to be a '68-'71 booster, the '72 and later boosters are too big around to fit the available space. As noted above, you would also want to use the 68-71 master cylinder as well. The 68-71 booster uses the same mount flange so it should bolt straight in. If the vehicle does not have a split brake system already as part of the previous conversion, you will need to upgrade to that configuration to use the 68-71 master cylinder. That will involve either installing a brake portioning valve or a 68-71 metering valve. Note that the 68-71 brake system used a metering valve installed at the front cross member split, it did not use a portioning valve. The distribution block below the master cylinder on a 68-71 brake system is a brake warning valve, not a portioning valve. You can safely install a portioning valve below the master if you choose to do so. Some applications will require an adjustable portioning valve to rebalance the brake system. Note that all tubing to the front disc brakes should be 3/16" if that size is not already installed, it will have to be upgraded to the larger size.

Dave

The front brakes of my '65 Monaco were converted to disc by the previous owner and the power brake booster has gone bad. I was told by the place doing the repair that I need a dual diaphragm booster. Been having trouble locating one. I did some reading on this forum and thought I read that some booster made to fit later year C-body cars would also work on my '65 Monaco. Anyone have any information on what I actually need and more importantly, where I can go to buy one? Thanks in advance.

Rock Auto

Back