Neutral saftey switch

Reaction score
Good morning all. I found a 46rh with a 3k convertor to put in my 71Fury. Got it for a song and a dance. I'm relatively close to starting it but the case connector is different both 3 pins the 727 has longer pins. Can I safely do a swaparoo with hurting the RH. I haven't put the PATC OD kit on yet I just want to make sure this thing actually goes into gear ( I did buy it used ). I know the connector on the RH handles OD and lockup of convertor as well as backup lights. They look very similar but plug doesn't fit .

20200304_185715.jpg

20200304_185554.jpg

20200304_181007.jpg

20200304_185718.jpg

20200304_185551.jpg

There is usually a reason that plug configurations change, usually that means the plug now has some different function. A-727 3 pin connector is used to complete the circuit to the backup lights (The two end terminals) the center terminal supplies the ground to complete the circuit to the starter solenoid. That is probably not going to play well with the 46RH. You need to spend some quality time with the wiring diagrams because I doubt this can be made to work without some type of after market controller for the RH. I think there are some posts on the web on how to do this conversion into older 727 equipped cars. The other question, is that the RH was noted for locking convertor failures, usually this spread friction material thru the transmission and pretty much ruined everything, that is why they are so expensive to rebuild. Might want to consider putting an OD unit on a A-727 without the locking convertor. RH was cheap, but likely will not be such a good bargain over the longer term.

Dave

I do remember someone did a long write up on doing an overdrive conversion for our cars and it goes into all the details you need to make it happen and what pitfalls to watch out for. I just cant remember who did it, maybe another member can pitch in here?

Another item for consideration, the 3000rpm stall that is currently on this RH would usually be a track application, you will beat your engine to death on the street.

Dave

Make sure you keep a manual overide on the converter. It will be miserable @ anything less than 80 mph and less than 3.55 rear.
Flatlanders seem to love the way these transmissions work, so you should be okay. 3k is not stock so as long as not built by a dummy it should be higher quality than the original hydraulic lock ups.
Good luck.
Switch is fine use your 727 to be compatible with your car. They changed the connectors on the trucks and vans to finally rid the goofy 70s connector.

Thanks all. I ordered the kit from PATC should be here next week , I'll work out the OD. The car now has 3.90 gears so I wanted the OD . The 3k convertor should be ok , the motor is a mild built 360.
Tonight I installed the switch from the 727 and fired it up with the rear end on jack stands to make sure itll go into gear and no vibrations . So far so good . I'll take it around the block tommorrow still have plenty to do before I'll take it for a long run but it seems like the RH should work out alright .

Back