Never seen this before....anybody else?

TroyCo

Reaction score
So I'm tearing down an RV 440, 1973 block, 213 heads. I noticed the intake springs are single spring units, but the exhausts are dual springs. Any ideas as to why this was done? Was this a normal thing Chrysler did? I've never seen this before.

I thought my description was apt enough, but here you go.

20211225_082142.jpg
20211225_082227.jpg

Typically, if ONE set of springs has the inner dampers, they BOTH have them. No way to tell if the heads have been apart at some point in prior time? Did it have dampers as it was a 4bbl motor, rather than an MHC 440?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

It doesn't appear to have been apart at all. Head gaskets appear to be the original units. Cylinders still have crosshatch even. The valve cover gaskets weren't cork gaskets. Not sure if that is an indicator of anything or not.

Someones been into those heads previous to you, for whatever reason(s)
You don't have to remove heads to replace valve springs, or valve stem oil seals.
Your engine can't talk, so no way of knowing what's been done, in the past 48+ years.

the exhaust retainer looks really thick...possibly set up with rotators on exhaust valve to try to prevent them from burning in a motorhome application

I've seen this on RV 440's also. I was told some RV 440's had sodium filled exhaust valves to help control the heat and they needed the extra spring because the weight of the valve. Don't know but I always replaced the valves with stainless ones.

Back