New 2 barrel needed ideas?

O_Knut

Reaction score
I have a 71 Newport royal with the original 360 with the original 2 barrel Holley carb. The carb is interesting, albeit bad, as after 52 years the plastic idle setter and throttle control peice has worn so bad that my cars idle is all over the place, and the car can’t really be driven. I need a new 2 barrel that’ll bolt onto a stock 71 360 2 barrel intake. What’ll fit? And what’s good? By good I mean by any qualification, power, efficiency, ease of use, anything like that.

Get in touch with Woodruff Carburetor Specialties. Their ad and phone number is to the right of your original post.

Get in touch with Woodruff Carburetor Specialties. Their ad and phone number is to the right of your original post.
I’m on iPhone and I’m not getting their ad. I’m also curious if any of you have similar 2 barrel setups. If not, can I slap a 4 barrel onto it or will I need a new intake?

The best carb is one just like you have now. Except with a '72 calibration. Reason I say that is that '71 was the first model year for that carb on a 360 and from what I understood from an Exxon station manager, they did not act right all of the time. Remans can be had from Autoline via Rock Auto, I believe. Or you can send the carb to Woodruff, as mentioned above. It might be that all it might need is a new fast idle cam and a general clean and rebuild?

I have a '70 383 Holley 2210 on my '66 Newport 383 and it has been great. It replaced the prior Stromberg WWC3 that came on the car.

Any 4bbl carb will require a new intake and serveral adapter pieces to work with the Chrysler throttle cable and kickdown rods. Can be a lot of trouble to get things right. Plus a new air cleaner.

CBODY67

The best carb is one just like you have now. Except with a '72 calibration. Reason I say that is that '71 was the first model year for that carb on a 360 and from what I understood from an Exxon station manager, they did not act right all of the time. Remans can be had from Autoline via Rock Auto, I believe. Or you can send the carb to Woodruff, as mentioned above. It might be that all it might need is a new fast idle cam and a general clean and rebuild?

I have a '70 383 Holley 2210 on my '66 Newport 383 and it has been great. It replaced the prior Stromberg WWC3 that came on the car.

Any 4bbl carb will require a new intake and serveral adapter pieces to work with the Chrysler throttle cable and kickdown rods. Can be a lot of trouble to get things right. Plus a new air cleaner.

CBODY67
Seriously? I’m stuck with a carb that used a plastic piece to set the idle. My biggest issue with the carb is the plastic as my plastic is so worn my idle screws don’t stay tight to it at all which causes my idle to jump around constantly.

Are you talking about the idle mixture screws on the front of the carb, the base idle speed screw on the lh side of the carb, or the fast idle screw which contacts the fast idle cam on the lh side of the carb? None of those should be moving around that much. Where are the return springs on the linkage?

NO, what you are experiencing is not due to the design of the base carburetor, but obviously something has failed which needs fixing. The basic carb is a good one, from my experiences on the one I put on the '66 Newport and the one on our '72 Newport 400 (which we bought nes).

CBODY67

Last edited:
Seriously? I’m stuck with a carb that used a plastic piece to set the idle.
that's the fast idle cam. should not affect idle speed once the choke is open. there should be a second, low idle screw, inboard of the fast idle screw that hits the cam. this second screw hits a stop cast as part of the carburetor. that's the screw that sets the idle speed when the choke is open. the steps on the plastic cam could be filed square and the mounting screw hole bushed if that's a problem.

If I remember correctly, a Holley 2280 was used on a lot of 360s. You might find one of those and rebuild it. Another idea, depending on what carburetor you have, is to rebuild it. I have gotten some obscure parts from Mike's Carburetor (I think they are in California). Something else that might help you is to have the throttle shaft re-bushed. That could be causing random vacuum leaks, and giving you wonky idle quality. I have been down that road with my Carter BBD units. I sent my base piece to a guy that re-bushes throttle shafts for a living, down in Florida.
Hope that helps, at least a little bit.

If this is the original carb then the plastic piece has been on there for over fifty years so I am not sure why you would be hesitant to use another one again. What would help is if you sent us a pic of what your concerns are I have a feeling something else is part of the problem.

After I looked in a 1971 C-body factory service manual last night, I discovered another option as to a different carb, a 1971 Carter BBD 1.5" 2bbl which was spec'd for the same engine as the Holley 2210 2bbl on the car now. Should be a direct bolt-on, other than needing a different automatic choke thermostat and a re-arranged fuel line for this application.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back