new distributor

Thanks for the ideas. Yep I put in a new electronic ignition system (the original breaker points were taken out before I owned the car). Hadn't considered the problem with the plugs, I can check those. The car ran really well after these new parts for a good month. Just stopped. All the voltages match what they are supposed to be. Like I said, it was running fine. Ill get the carb back on today

Thanks for the ideas. Yep I put in a new electronic ignition system (the original breaker points were taken out before I owned the car). Hadn't considered the problem with the plugs, I can check those. The car ran really well after these new parts for a good month. Just stopped. All the voltages match what they are supposed to be. Like I said, it was running fine. Ill get the carb back on today

Dude! Sure looks like electronic ignition sudden death syndrome to me. Check for SPARK. All the system voltages may well be fine, but the ONE that counts may be ZEEEROOOOH all the same. I hope I'm wrong in some ways but, in others, it would make your life easier if I'm right. Pull a plug wire loose, then turn the motor over while watching. Best done in dark conditions.

Nope Im getting spark. Put the carb back on , and I got it to run and idle by cranking the timing way out BTDC. Its not good, but at least its running so I can start to diagnose. Have no idea why the timing changed mid-drive

Im getting plenty of fuel in the carb. I put in a new timing chain and gear last year, could it be slipping? I just don't see how I have the timing set, and its running fine, and in the space of 5 miles it stalls.

Im getting plenty of fuel in the carb. I put in a new timing chain and gear last year, could it be slipping? I just don't see how I have the timing set, and its running fine, and in the space of 5 miles it stalls.

Hmm, perhaps the cam sprocket isn't secured properly? OR, the chain is defective? Perhaps the DISTRIBUTOR has somehow popped up from the cam driver gear. With fuel pump also having been diddled with, who knows? See how well the distributor is seated first. You might even re-orient that to get it back on time. How far off was it?

Edit: remembered you pointing this out at beginning of the thread. At what initial timing can you get it to run now? [Thinking outside the box here, but have you compared the new distributor to the old distributor? Are both rotors pointing the same way with respect to the slot at the bottom of the distributor shaft?]

Also, maybe something internal of the distributor failed?

If you're getting spark I and it's not the carb I would suspect something with distributor. If you take it out and stick a screwdriver in the slot on the oil pump drive gear see if you can twist it. Hopefully it doesn't. Open up your distributor, could very well be something failed with mechanical advance

Last edited:
You KNOWWWW, it MIGHT BE A BAD ROTOR. I had a BAD CAP, (Standard Blue Streak*, Hecho in Mexico) which bound the rotor, breaking it where it slides into the notch on top of the shaft. Consequently, the TIMING APPEARED TO BE WAY OFF! Wish I'd recalled this last night, but it was late, and my spawn wear me out. Have a look!

*I reckon nowadaze, Standard must mean YOU WILL CURSE A BLUE STREAK after attempting to use their mexcrecable product!

Back