New guy,..1966 Plymouth Sport Fury original 440 car....

66SportFury

Reaction score

Since I'm new here I would like to tell you guys a little about myself and my new to me big block 440, 66 Sport Fury.

I was born and raised in Tuckerton, NJ. Ever since I could drive I was a MOPAR nut, but I did own my share of other brands! If anyone knows, Tuckerton is a small town on the East coast, so we basically had run of the streets when we were kids and all of us had muscle cars. I met a good friend of mine way back in the 70's and his name is Danny Foley. I don't know if you guys know him, but he is a Mopar wiz and knows everything there is to know about Mopars. He lives only about a mile or so from my house. Anyway, we became really good buds over the years and he is one of the coolest guys I ever met. He also writes for Mopar Muscle mag. To make a long story short, I've been out of the muscle car seen for the last 15 or so years, but still owed a Mopar. It was a 97 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4, but it was still a Mopar! I decided to sell the truck or trade. So after a month I get a phone cal from a guy that had a 86 Jeep YJ that was in mint condition, so I traded him even up. Drove the Jeep for only about 6 months and couldn't stand the ride. Nice Jeep don't get me wrong, but not me at all. Put it up on Craigs list and a guy cars me to trade a 86 Mustang GT T-Top 5.0 car with only 44k original miles. We traded and I built up the Muskrat over the next year, but my heart wasn't into the car because of me being a Mopar guy! So, up it went on Craigs list. About a few weeks later guys comes down and buys the car and loves it. In the mean time I keep getting calls from Danny saying,.."you gotta go look at this Fury man" "Guy has a ton of money into the car John" He explains that he was over his house to tune the beast 440 one day after he just finished the car and without checking to see if the car was safe,..he backs it out of his garage and punches the throttle to the floor in reverse. Throttle gets stuck under the air cleaner housing
and he couldn't stop the car, but the tree did!! The rear quarter, trunk and bumper was damaged. He replace the trunk, quarter and bumper, but never had it repainted and car ended up sitting at his brother in-laws auto shop for over a year. Found out from Danny that the entire car was basically rebuilt. New or rebuilt everything including the drive train. Motor has a MP purple, advertised duration 280/280, Lift 474/474, headers, Stainless 3" exhaust with 3" DynoMax Ultra Flos and 3" tailpipes, RPM intake, billet MSD distributor and MP 6al ignition box with rev limiter, MSD 9.5 wire set, Electric fuel pump, I just installed a new 850DP HP carb, because the 850 that was on it was junk and needed to go. Also installed a 1" phenolic plastic spacer and K&N X-Stream air filter setup. Brakes are converted to SSBC discs up front with 4 piston calipers, all new lines and entire rear brake system is new, adjustable SSBC proportioning valve, new booster and master and all run from an electric vacuum pump. Trans is a rollerized 727TF built by Dynamic Converters in Delaware. Street/Strip - Automatic shifting, reprogrammed valve body for firmer shifts. 5.0 ratio kickdown lever. Heavy-duty low/reverse spring, hi-performance bands and clutches. It has a 9 1/2 Race/Street inch converter. 355's out back. The only thing I ordered for the trans is a 5600 governor. It's shifting at 4400 in "D", telling me it has a stock governor. Well have to see how that works. I might need to go up to a 5800 or 6000. Even with the 5600 I could adjust the pump pressure, but I don't want to blow the front seal. The bad thing is that the PO paid $13,000 for the car before all the above mods. Danny and I figure he put an additional 8 to9k into the car with the drive train,brakes and interior work. The good news is he sold it to me for 3k. I have about $1500+ into it so far. Plans for the winter are a pair of ported 915 heads and a bigger cam (haven't decided on the cam at this point), springs, porting the RPM and gasket matching. Putting a set QA1 shocks on all 4 corners and a set of Schumacker Poly-Lock motor mounts are going in. The stock mounts are known to break pretty easy and make the throttle stay at wide open!!!. Not cool. Sorry for the long post. More Moparin later!!

Here is the car and Jeep that started all this. Also included some pics of the Fury. I'm really diggin this car.
Jeep.jpg

Jeep.jpg

SF1.jpg

SF2.jpg

SF4.jpg

SF5.jpg

SF6.jpg

SF7.jpg

Muskrat.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the group.......... I was at Dans house a few years back to pick up an engine for a mutual acquaintance.

Nice Sport Fury

Welcome to the group.......... I was at Dans house a few years back to pick up an engine for a mutual acquaintance.

Nice Sport Fury

Thank you! It's got a long way to go, but I'm enjoying it and enjoy working on it! I'm hoping that I find the 2 missing tail light lenses at the 27 annual Collectors Guide Mopars at E-Town this weekend. Going to be a good show!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. That`s one nice Fury. Looks to be fairly close. Aside from the lenses what`s next on the agenda...never mind just reread your post. Sounds like you are having fun.

Last edited:
MOPARS @ E-Town tomorrow!! Can't wait. I want to get all mechanics done and then the body gets fixed. That will be a winter project. I have all the parts to put the rear back together minus 2 lenses and a complete front grill setup. Car has come a long way for the 2 weeks I've owned it.

I'll be with my son. Kind of hard to meet up, but enjoy your day. It's going to be nice!

Mopars @ E-Town was great!! I found my missing tail lenses. Not many parts around for these cars. If anyone has any links for parts, please post.

Mechanics are almost done. SSBC is sending me a new master cyl, Dual Diaphram Booster and brake pedal hardware. Seems there was an issue with the disc brake convertion kit for this car and they now have updated the kit so it's correct. Should be here on Tuesday.

Back