New guy here, 1966 New Yorker

computerhater

Reaction score
I just picked up my 1966 new yorker and I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys on a few things.
What are you doing for fm radio? I'd like to keep the dash stock looking, I was thinking the bottom compartment in the glove box might fit a single din head unit?
Is there anyone who makes factory style trunk carpet? Mines got a particular odor and needs replaced. My car is all factory original except for the wheels, so I'm debating keeping the carter afb 4131s, or getting something newer. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a rebuild kit or equivalent new carb? Last thing, when I'm cornering hard or slam the brakes, the motor dies. I'm assuming its a vacuum or timing issue, so I think the carb should fix it, but is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for any advice, heres a link to an album of pictures when I brought her home.

welcome.gif
Nice Town sedan.

Welcome aboard. That's a solid good looking NY'er.
As far as your engine cutting out, if it stumbles or sputters as it dies, it could be too high of float level causing flooding. If it dies slowly or gradually, I suspect a vacuum leak in your brake booster.
Here is something to read about your radio question.
Aftermarket radio hidden mounting option

Welcome, and congratulations on the New Yorker. I would rebuild the original carburetor if it is at all salvageable, and a carb kit for that should be easy to find. That will probably fix your stalling issue. That green steering wheel looks awesome !

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice slabbie!
I had an original am radio redone with modern guts in my Imp and it works fantastic. Expensive but worth it.

I replaced my carburetor with the new Street Demon 625 cfm. Had to richen it up from stock. Also had my stock am radio rebuilt with modern internals, well worth it.

thanks for the advice guys, I took a look at the carb and everything seemed pretty clean. When the engine dies, it dies out quickly, no sputter, so I'm almost feeling like its not idling right when i'm in gear. Guess I should look into a tach as well

You need to rule out the fuel pump pushrod being shortened from wear as your fuel delivery issue.

I've got a spare 440 motor from a 75 new yorker, the fuel pump pushrod from this one is 3.223 inches. I see on summit that they've got different ones for billet or cast cranks. Does this mean I cant use the one I've got? I havent pulled my 66 motor pushrod yet, I'd prefer to have a new part ready rather than have my car in pieces while I wait.

Back