New life for cornering lights

MOVE N UP

Reaction score
I was able to repair my cornering lights!
The area where the socket met the housing was a coroded mess, and seemed beyond repair. The issue was moisture infiltration and lack of a proper ground.
I was able to remove the socket completely from the housing and carefully remove remains of the housing from the socket "ring" I took some small scraps of sheetmetal that I cut into @2 1/2" by @3 1/2 strips.... Then using a 1/4 drill followed by a step drill I cut a hole in the center-JUST a bit smaller than the diameter of the top edge of the socket
i then used a small set of needle nose pliers I slowly and carefully "curled" up the top edge of socket and squeezed it into the hole in the sheetmetal, then slowly and carefully flattened the edge over =locking the socket to the sheetmetal
I then hand formed the new socket assembly into a curve over the housing Then drilled 3/16 holes through the sheetmetal and light housings I then used #10 sheetmetal screws and mechanically fasten the socket to the housing!
I employed the best sealant that I have ever used - and that is 3M marine adhesive sealant 5200 = it comes in white or black, but the black is only readily available at Ace hardware, and it comes in a caulking gun tube. The white is available at Home Depot and comes in a smaller squeeze tube
I gunned out some sealant onto scrap of card board and then I brushed over my new socket " patch" to keep out moisture!

image.jpg

Back