New Member from California

Welcome......very nice car!!!

BTW....that color is Y2 Sunfire Yellow.

Very nice car - glad it ended up in the right hands.

Regarding the a/c, is it autotemp or manual controls? If autotemp, I can give you some leads to follow to get it working correctly. That is important in California, at least in the summer.

Good luck with the ride!

Steve

Very nice car - glad it ended up in the right hands.

Regarding the a/c, is it autotemp or manual controls? If autotemp, I can give you some leads to follow to get it working correctly. That is important in California, at least in the summer.

Good luck with the ride!

Steve

Thank you!!! It's a standard control, not autotemp. Any idea where I could get a wiring diagram for the A/C controls? My problem is the clutch power wire is hot all the time. I replaced the head end controls (vacuum switch and clutch switch) and still getting power at the clutch in the OFF position. So I have it disconnected for now. Everything else in the system works great though.

photo.jpg

image.jpg

For some unknown and seemingly futile effort, Chrysler wired the a/c clutch on all the time for the 1973 C bodies. That means every time you start the engine, the a/c is operative. I believe I recall the reason was to avoid suddenly steaming the windows when heat was called for in the winter, yet there was excessive moisture in the evaporator. Running the a/c all the time of course took care of that problem, but created more problems than it was designed to solve it seems to me. The move meant a/c breakdowns probably very early in the life of the vehicle and poorer fuel economy than those smog engines already delivered. I have not looked into the best way to shut the compressor off, but certainly a toggle switch put in series with the a/c clutch wire should take care of the problem. I am not sure, but perhaps a different head control from a previous year would already contain the correct internal wiring (this assumes the control unit you replaced the original one with was the correct for 1973 part number). The wiring diagrams are most easily found in the service manual for the 1973 models.

Ah, Burlingame. Just 40 miles away and 45 minutes at 2:30 in the morning. Any other time then forget that.

Welcome

For some unknown and seemingly futile effort, Chrysler wired the a/c clutch on all the time for the 1973 C bodies. That means every time you start the engine, the a/c is operative. I believe I recall the reason was to avoid suddenly steaming the windows when heat was called for in the winter, yet there was excessive moisture in the evaporator. Running the a/c all the time of course took care of that problem, but created more problems than it was designed to solve it seems to me. The move meant a/c breakdowns probably very early in the life of the vehicle and poorer fuel economy than those smog engines already delivered. I have not looked into the best way to shut the compressor off, but certainly a toggle switch put in series with the a/c clutch wire should take care of the problem. I am not sure, but perhaps a different head control from a previous year would already contain the correct internal wiring (this assumes the control unit you replaced the original one with was the correct for 1973 part number). The wiring diagrams are most easily found in the service manual for the 1973 models.

Wow, thanks for the info. That's a bum deal they did it that way. Here the whole time I've been trying to diagnose it as a problem when it's been a "built in problem". Will get a wiring diagram and figure out a work-around before next summer!

I appreciate the warm welcome and positive comments by all so far, thank you! I'm seeing lots of cool cars on this site.

(...)
The biggest improvement so far was installing new KYB gas-a-just shocks - made a HUGE difference. Before it was very sloppy!

Great car! Question about the KYB shocks. Up front, I see from the KYB website that the '73 needs the KG4507, but the KYB website does not list any KYB choice for the rear. Neither does RockAuto. Schockwarehouse simply does not carry any KYB shock for the '73 rear.

Summit does recommends a KYB model for the rear, the Excel-G 343159 (there are a few other choices).

Seems right, or am I missing some KYB choices? What did you use for the rear?

PS: I've had the same problem finding rear shocks in the case a 1973 Imperial -- but another member ended up buying "Elsie" from me before I started restoring her, so I never got to the solution.

Great car! Question about the KYB shocks. Up front, I see from the KYB website that the '73 needs the KG4507, but the KYB website does not list any KYB choice for the rear. Neither does RockAuto. Schockwarehouse simply does not carry any KYB shock for the '73 rear.

Summit does recommends a KYB model for the rear, the Excel-G 343159 (there are a few other choices).

Seems right, or am I missing some KYB choices? What did you use for the rear?

PS: I've had the same problem finding rear shocks in the case a 1973 Imperial -- but another member ended up buying "Elsie" from me before I started restoring her, so I never got to the solution.

I ran into the same thing back in 2014 when I tried to get KYB rears for the NY. My local parts store didn't list anything, nor did rockauto. This is an omission in the master computer parts database or something. So, I just had my store order a pair of KYBs for a '73 Fury, assuming that it would be the same. They fit. Looking up on Rockauto right now, 73 Fury, here's the application list for that number (KG5512):

Buyer's Guide : KYB KG5512 Shock Absorber
Results may be incomplete due to size of result set
CHRYSLER 300 1965-1969
CHRYSLER CORDOBA 1975-1976
CHRYSLER IMPERIAL 1967-1975
CHRYSLER NEW YORKER 1965-1978
CHRYSLER NEWPORT 1965-1978
CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY 1965-1978
DODGE 330 1963-1964
DODGE 440 1963-1964
DODGE CHALLENGER 1970-1974
DODGE CHARGER 1966-1976