New member in northern Maine

The legend is true. Calvin West's junkyard in Limestone. The junkyard was physically located just east of Loring Air Force Base. My house is less than 15 miles away. He had about 5,000 cars, most of which were accumulated in the 50s and 60s. He was crazy. Insane crazy. And he liked to mess with your head. You'd ask him about a bumper and he'd say $2,000. He just wanted to tease and argue... by the time you got done you'd end up paying no more than you would anywhere else. Calvin died in the late 80s and his sister (equally as crazy) struck a deal with two guys from out of state.... Jack was one of the guy's names, I don't remember the other. Jack McLean maybe? I almost think Jack is still wheeling and dealing but somewhere in the southwest. In any case, she sold them the contents of the junkyard for an undisclosed amount and she gave them X number of months to make a balloon payment of sorts. They set up an old house trailer right by the road and used it for an office. In the summer of 1990 I owned a 1949 Oldsmobile so I went there more than once; I did get a sun visor for $50. That whole summer it was a common sight to see a transport truck full of 40s and 50s cars heading south. I have no idea how many got hauled out of there intact, or at least "as found". I walked part of the yard but it was overwhelming. If I had a few thousand in my pocket I would have walked seriously but being broke, I was just tormenting myself. I do know that it reached a point where they had cherry picked the best and the rest got crushed. I went by there in the late 90s or so and there was little evidence of there ever being a junkyard there. When I get back to the office I'll post a couple aerial photos, from 1980 and again from 1991 or 1992.... you'll see the legend is true.

Last edited:
The legend is true. Calvin West's junkyard in Limestone. The junkyard was physically located just east of Loring Air Force Base. My house is less than 15 miles away. He had about 5,000 cars, most of which were accumulated in the 50s and 60s. He was crazy. Insane crazy. And he liked to mess with your head. You'd ask him about a bumper and he'd say $2,000. He just wanted to tease and argue... by the time you got done you'd end up paying no more than you would anywhere else. Calvin died in the late 80s and his sister (equally as crazy) struck a deal with two guys from out of state.... Jack was one of the guy's names, I don't remember the other. Jack McLean maybe? I almost think Jack is still wheeling and dealing but somewhere in the southwest. In any case, she sold them the contents of the junkyard for an undisclosed amount and she gave them X number of months to make a balloon payment of sorts. They set up an old house trailer right by the road and used it for an office. In the summer of 1990 I owned a 1949 Oldsmobile so I went there more than once; I did get a sun visor for $50. That whole summer it was a common sight to see a transport truck full of 40s and 50s cars heading south. I have no idea how many got hauled out of there intact, or at least "as found". I walked part of the yard but it was overwhelming. If I had a few thousand in my pocket I would have walked seriously but being broke, I was just tormenting myself. I do know that it reached a point where they had cherry picked the best and the rest got crushed. I went by there in the late 90s or so and there was little evidence of there ever being a junkyard there. When I get back to the office I'll post a couple aerial photos, from 1980 and again from 1991 or 1992.... you'll see the legend is true.
Wow. I'm a believer.

you'll see the legend is true.
No argument about the junkyard.
It's this part I ain't buying:
The story was that the cars were from military men who went off to Nam from the Air Force base up there and never re-claimed them.
A guy buys a new 442, gets drafted, leaves it a junkyard and says 'hold it for me" and doesn't come back?
Come on.... A JUNKYARD??
I know of a sand dune with hundreds of Harleys burried in it.

It's this part I ain't buying: A guy buys a 442, gets drafted, leaves it a junkyard and says 'hold it for me" and doesn't come back? Come on.... A JUNKYARD?? I know of a sand dune with hundreds of Harleys burried in it.
I've heard many stories of guys who got drafted leaving cars behind. Perhaps a good many of those cars did made it to junkyards (owner KIA/MIA/POW, or Family didn't want it, whatever.) Not totally impossible.

I'm quite sure many of those cars did come from Air Force guys who were leaving Loring and they couldn't sell them to a buddy. Because of the proximity of Calvin's junkyard and the fact he amassed non stop, it makes sense they would end up there. During the 50s and 60s there were about 3x the amount of car dealers around here so he may have had arrangements with local dealers to buy up their "less than clean" trade ins. In any case, his junkyard was the equivalent of having a sears anchor store in the mall. There may have been other yards but his was "it".... If you could deal with him.

I've heard many stories of guys who got drafted leaving cars behind. Perhaps a good many of those cars did made it to junkyards (owner KIA/MIA/POW, or Family didn't want it, whatever.) Not totally impossible.
Anything's possible. A meteor can land on my house today. I'm pretty jaded being from that era, so....

Here's a shot of Calvin's in 1992. This was after the yard had been cherry picked for 2 or 3 years! Note in the upper left quadrant the cars are laid out in a somewhat orderly fashion. I was told many of them were just sitting helter skelter in the bushes and some effort was made to 'yard them out' and line them up. Ditto for the area just east of the road running north/south on the right side of the pic. I don't ever recall cars lined up on the other side of the road any time I went there as a kid.

dbtm3q.jpg

And here it is in 2011:

2aikopz.jpg

And here's a little detail that will give you an idea of how I can selectively pay attention to detail..... The rectangle oriented north/south in the yellow circle is a 1967 GMC rear engine "pusher" bus #16 that I rode from the fall of 1967 to the spring of 1976 in the Caribou School Department. I remember seeing it there in 1990. Wish I had pried a souvenier off it, or a seat or something.

2mcy97l.jpg

I work for the USDA. We have aerial photos of the area served by each field office. It's for farm records, measuring acreage, doing conservation planning. I have some from the 30s, 40s, 70s, 80s, etc. Sometimes people come in off the street asking for old aerials that would help determine when a house was built or a tree line removed or... sometimes they ask me to help define property lines. No thanks!

Thanks! Now that you've reminded me, I remember that name. I know a guy who hauled a '55 Merc out of there and restored it.

Stan: so, there. :poke:

I said I have no problem believing about a crazy coot with a huge junkyard. I'm telling you it was no treasure trove of almost new muscle cars left by Viet Nam soldiors who didn't come home. That's total myth.

This is what was said:
"Back in the early 1990s when I first got into old cars, there were stories going around of a legendary junkyard in Northern Maine that had lots of cars from the 1950s and 1960s. The story was that the cars were from military men who went off to Nam from the Air Force base up there and never re-claimed them. Any stories about that place?"

So there...

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:
I said I have no problem believing about a crazy coot with a huge junkyard. I'm telling you it was no treasure trove of almost new muscle cars left by Viet Nam soldiors who didn't come home. That's total myth.

This is what was said:
"Back in the early 1990s when I first got into old cars, there were stories going around of a legendary junkyard in Northern Maine that had lots of cars from the 1950s and 1960s. The story was that the cars were from military men who went off to Nam from the Air Force base up there and never re-claimed them. Any stories about that place?"

So there...

Funny thing, I don't see any reference to "almost new muscle cars" there, except from your addition. As for whether or not the cars were from the base, I suspect they definitely were given the size of Loring and the small number of people living in the surrounding area.

I did some reading up on the base here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loring_Air_Force_Base

Quite the times back then.

Back