New Sport Fury project

FK3 Sport Fury

Hoser in a toque
Reaction score
I took a chance and bought this 71 Sport Fury sight unseen and somewhat long distance just before X-mas last year off Kijiji as I didn't want a derby guy getting his meat hooks into it and destroying a hard to find car.

Middle of last month the weather looked like it would be decent for the next week so I took off on a winter road trip to pick it up and was pleasantly surprised by it's overall condition when I got there.It's still quite solid except some rust in the rear lower quarters and a few small spots here and there like on the bottoms of the front fenders and inside the trunk but all could be patched easily.There is some bubbling under the vinyl roof but the roof itself is good so it can stay on there.Car is pretty straight except the drivers door skin is pretty gnarly and some of the quarter right behind it has some damage as well.Underneath,the rockers,frame rails,and floors are all nice and solid.The car was originally from the US and was factory undercoated so that must have helped.I'm not sure how long it's been in BC but the seller claims he remembers seeing the car in the area for a number of years before he ended up with it.
It was originally GY8 dark gold with a white vinyl roof but had an inside/outside,top and bottom color change along the way to it's current dark grey with black vinyl roof and black interior.

The motor in it appears to be a 360,which it's coded for,and has been out and painted and runs terrific so I'd guess that it's been rebuilt not too long ago.Big bonus there.I was able to get it yard driving and the trans seems ok but it's going to need some brake work,at least a master cylinder before any real road test.

The interior is not bad although it's had a dye job from it's original gold color to black and needs a headliner in a bad way along with some re-assembly.

It was a well optioned car when new with A/C,PS,PDB,tinted glass,radio,light group,undercoating,etc.Pretty much nothing electrical seemed to work so it's going to need some attention there but it appears to be close to 100% complete so I shouldn't need to do too much in the way of parts hunting.

Here's the pics that I'm sure you all want to see:

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0152 (1).jpg

IMG_0159 (1).jpg

Thanks for saving this car from some Derby dumb dumb. Love the car, looks like you are going to have a real beauty of a Sport Fury when you are done with it. Hope to see the progress.

Looks good, scored on it! but what happened to the driver door and quarter?

Very cool car ,,congrats!:thumbsup:

Thanks for saving this car from some Derby dumb dumb. Love the car, looks like you are going to have a real beauty of a Sport Fury when you are done with it. Hope to see the progress.

I have a much nicer 70 SF survivor so this one will likely be a low buck partial resto for a driver.First order of business is getting it road worthy as it's been parked for a number of years then get to work on stopping the existing rust.I have it stored indoors so it shouldn't deteriorate any more.

Looks good in black!!

It's actually a dark charcoal grey color but it does look black in those pictures.I pretty much despise dark grey as every other new car now comes in that color but I have to admit that it really works well on the big C-bodies.I have a pic of it inside that shows the grey color better.

Looks good, scored on it! but what happened to the driver door and quarter?

Door took a hit in the center and a previous owner starting doing some bondo work which never got finished.The door is solid and savable so I'll probably get someone who's good at metal work to do that part properly then finish it.Quarter panel damage isn't nearly as bad,thankfully.

IMG_0241.jpg

Last edited:
That looks nice although I will never understand why people just paint the visible parts and leave the engine bay and inner door areas the way it was.. :BangHead:
Just do it right or leave it alone in the first place:mob:
I'm glad it found a good home now:thumbsup:

Ah by the way, that garage looks packed, if you need to make some room, you know what to do right? :poke:

Now how did this slip by the Calgary contingent?? Nice score just proved they are still out there!

Now how did this slip by the Calgary contingent?? Nice score just proved they are still out there!

Luckily I saw it on Kijiji the night the ad was posted and got hold of the seller right away as he had a couple of nearby potential buyers who were likely demo derby guys.
I basically bought it over the phone based on a couple pics in the ad but for what he was asking,I figured I couldn't go too far wrong.
When I was picking it up,the seller mentioned that he had more calls on the car and a couple were from Alberta so maybe one of the Calgary crew did make an inquiry about it.The car was near Vernon BC,about half way to Kamloops.

That looks nice although I will never understand why people just paint the visible parts and leave the engine bay and inner door areas the way it was.. :BangHead:
Just do it right or leave it alone in the first place:mob:
I'm glad it found a good home now:thumbsup:

Ah by the way, that garage looks packed, if you need to make some room, you know what to do right? :poke:

Someone did spray bomb some flat black over the gold paint under the hood and in the door jambs but some of it had flaked off over the years and most of the rest came off when I pressure washed it when I got it back to where my storage is.

There's still more room inside the garage where I was standing to take the picture so I'm not out of space in there yet and a couple of the cars in there will be going outside once I pull the motors out.Thanks for your kind offer,though.:thumbsup:
The 70 Sport Fury is at a different location although I will probably move it to that garage at some point.

Someone did spray bomb some flat black over the gold paint under the hood and in the door jambs but some of it had flaked off over the years and most of the rest came off when I pressure washed it when I got it back to where my storage is.

ORIGINAL 1969 POLARA CHP RESURECTION

This thread is also about scratching overspray off the original paint.. Always a good thing if they didn't use primer.

There's still more room inside the garage where I was standing to take the picture so I'm not out of space in there yet and a couple of the cars in there will be going outside once I pull the motors out.Thanks for your kind offer,though.:thumbsup:
The 70 Sport Fury is at a different location although I will probably move it to that garage at some point.

You know it's has become a habit to :poke: on you from time to time for that burnt orange beauty.. And I won't stop:D

Back