New steering issue. 68 Newport

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
I have a different thread about my steering gear box but I have a new issue. I took the housing off that the hoses go into to check the gaskets and such. I replaced an o ring and put a little gasket maker in there and put it back together. I let it dry 48 hours, jacked it up and burped the air, and now when I turn the wheel it won't stop until it gets full turn, then does that again if I turn it the other direction. If I try to control it it gets a little jerky. This is my life, fix one thing top break another. What could I possibly have done wrong? I can take it back apart but I didn't really do much. Looked like there might have been a spring in there a little crooked but I didn't have access to change its position in the first place. I was thinking of replacing hit whole thing but my other thread I was reminded there was some I could do without taking the whole thing out. Well I probably done messed up.
Thanks

It sounds like the PA valve is not properly adjusted. Pull out the FSM and review the adjustment procedure. The PA valve is pretty fussy to adjust, usually it only takes about 1/64" or so to make the unit self steer until the wheel locks.

Dave

I have it back apart now. Unfortunately I upgraded my computer recently, laptop only , and it doesn't have a disk drive in it. Gotta go buy an external drive. I only have a disk version of the fsm conveniently. Hopefully I just put the PA valve on wrong and it goes back together properly. Its pretty drastic what its doing.

Just go to www.mymopar.com and download and save the appropriate FSM file . . . no disc drive required.

You were trying to do everything right, which is great, but in this case, ANY time that housing is moved or removed, the issues you have will happen. I know it sounds crazy, but in this case, it's true.

It can be time consuming to re-center that valve, but it has to be done.

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

I'll admit I'm not that mechanically inclined but I try. Just did a valve shim swap on a motorcycle successfully, I've done quite a bit in this Newport but man it wants to fight me every step of the way. Fix one thing, break two. But I appreciate all the help on here. I'll follow up with details as I go. Having a hell of a time trying to find gasket kits for this gear box though, Holy cow. I have that bell housing off now next to it which is where the main leak is. I'll see if re tightening everything helps in the meantime. I'm dead set on getting this steering back to normal.

The valve slides fore and aft and it needs to be adjusted and engine started to see where it is. Takes several times. It’s easy to do so no worries and you didn’t hurt anything. Don’t use sealer on a hydraulic pump, it can come loose and clog it up. You cannot just bolt it down as there is one right spot and 100 wrong spots.

AND WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT HOLD THE STREERING WHEEL WHEN YOU START THE ENGINE. I found out the hard way years ago and almost broke my wrist.

Well I think it was a case of if at first you fail try again. Took it apart and repositioned it and works like it should again. Took that bolt, gasket and ring off on that bell housing just to the left. Cleaned it all real good and put it back on again with a good tightening. So far no leak. Put a little gasket sealer on it so wanna let it dry before I put it to a full test but think, fingers crossed, I fixed the Bastard.

Next up transmission leaking all over the place even after I took it to a transmission shop a while back to have all this fixed. Story of my life

20220512_162534.jpg

Well I think it was a case of if at first you fail try again. Took it apart and repositioned it and works like it should again. Took that bolt, gasket and ring off on that bell housing just to the left. Cleaned it all real good and put it back on again with a good tightening. So far no leak. Put a little gasket sealer on it so wanna let it dry before I put it to a full test but think, fingers crossed, I fixed the Bastard.

Next up transmission leaking all over the place even after I took it to a transmission shop a while back to have all this fixed. Story of my life

View attachment 531041
Good work!
Stay on it and you’ll fix it and have some satisfaction!

By observation, "bad language" might make you feel better, but it does NOT help anything.

We had one young tech that had a bad habit of throwing tools across the floor and saying "words". Until the senior tech working next to him stopped one of his sliding wrenches (across the floor) and sent it back to him, across the floor. Got his attention!

Remember . . . when one door closes, others open. IF you are doing something and know it's not going to work, but continue anyway, you'll soon discover it's not going to work (as something usually breaks or gets damaged). Rather, when you get to that "consideration point", look at other alternatives instead. That makes it a learning experience rather than a "damage control" issue.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Good points. Had this car 4 years now. Thrown much money, blood sweat and tears and its an extreme struggle just to get it to my minimum acceptance level but it's getting there.

I have a different thread about my steering gear box but I have a new issue. I took the housing off that the hoses go into to check the gaskets and such. I replaced an o ring and put a little gasket maker in there and put it back together. I let it dry 48 hours, jacked it up and burped the air, and now when I turn the wheel it won't stop until it gets full turn, then does that again if I turn it the other direction. If I try to control it it gets a little jerky. This is my life, fix one thing top break another. What could I possibly have done wrong? I can take it back apart but I didn't really do much. Looked like there might have been a spring in there a little crooked but I didn't have access to change its position in the first place. I was thinking of replacing hit whole thing but my other thread I was reminded there was some I could do without taking the whole thing out. Well I probably done messed up.
Thanks
Yo. Check your PM inbox. It won't allow any new messages

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to delete the messages while on my phone. I'll have to try on a desktop but I can't find a dang delete button to clear that inbox

No problem basically I wanted to know what front brake conversion kit did you go with and did you add air shocks in the rear

Haven't done anything yet on either front. Been dealing with too many other issues unfortunately. Power steering still leaking too, thought I fixed it.

Oh ok sorry to hear about the P/S issue but from what I read I know you will figure it out

Back