New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Long day. Car running well but not spectacularly. I want spectacular.

Starting backward, I ended the day leaning out the carb a little and bringing down the idle a little.

Noticed two things today that I will be looking for tomorrow.

1) Car runs really well when fully warmed up. Initial start is perfect. Starts on first turn of the key... like a modern car. After about 3 minutes, when the enrichment circuit and the choke start coming off, she starts running a little rough at idle but smoother out as soon as crack the throttle. It also goes away as the engine warms up.

2) brake booster seems to be affecting idle. When I come to a stop I have no issue with the brakes as to power. When I release the brakes, idle drops and brakes get hard if I reapply them. Will be checking it out tomorrow to confirm.

A/c went down today..., short story was a blown fuse on circuit #4 that supplies the power for the compressor. Not so easy fix after much needless testing.

What threw me was that this same circuit also provides power to the amplifier separately from the battery connection. The power drives the servo motor so fan will not change speed and stays on one of the mid level settings...

Muffler is a bit too sporty but very well done. I’ll live with it for a while but will probably change it for something quieter soon.

Tag agency line was too long. Will go for that tomorrow.

Long day tomorrow with a new project presentation to the local aesthetic review board.... at 7:30 in the morning.

Good luck. She'll be running and functioning like new in no time. Keep us updated with pictures too.

Jeff,

In all fairness.... Ivan was just erring on the side of caution and concern. He told me he wasn’t sure but that he wanted me to check it out before he came to any conclusion. I also feared the worst.
Sorry, I didn't mean that to impugn Ivan's character or abilities... I would be surprised if he didn't have at least one of those testers around the shop already. It would cost more to send mine back and forth than to purchase one.

Have you driven it much? Chrysler big blocks are notorious for valve seals and guides worn out and leaking with age and consuming a lot of oil when on the road for long distances.

Have you driven it much? Chrysler big blocks are notorious for valve seals and guides worn out and leaking with age and consuming a lot of oil when on the road for long distances.

Just started commissioning. So no, not much yet.

As I said, the heads appear to have been done. Too soon to tell if it’s burning oil.

Morning drive good so far. I’m thinking choke may just be coming off too early.

Top link controls closure of choke full on and was good when I checked it. Will start by checking that again. Carb height has effect.

E19824C1-CAD7-4921-A94F-D31504D0B742.jpeg

Full off should allow choke to be completely vertical like shown here.

Full on choke should be almost fully closed with 3/16” open at leading edge... with vacuum pull-off fully engaged.... i believe.... need to check that first.

My memory is no good which is why I keep books!

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean that to impugn Ivan's character or abilities... I would be surprised if he didn't have at least one of those testers around the shop already. It would cost more to send mine back and forth than to purchase one.
Not at all Jeff..... not at all

First heat soak tests..... drove to presentation, (design for house on the water modifications was approved without comment... first try) 3.5 miles in early morning traffic.

Then drive to tag agency (10 miles) where $197.80 later.... she was officially commissioned. And no bubbling or boiling.

30 minutes later. Started right back up... a little fast as to the idle, but we’re getting there. Cool A/C thanks to working AutoTemp II set to permanent high auto 65.

Its 90+ degrees outside today.

096CFDA6-B24A-4CC4-B225-A7F10BA5C5F0.jpeg

Didn’t go for the blue antique tag as I had this one lying around from one of the more modern cars I sold last year.

DMV Lady who went to verify the VIN said she was beautiful.... and I never argue with the lady from the DMV.

C6928E37-FA8D-4BAE-B499-657B9802163C.jpeg

Sexy new tail pipe..... opted out of the chrome tip option.

830796DF-9374-408D-BE15-E4FCF9D26751.jpeg

15 miles later.... at the office awaiting the end of the day. No bubbling or blow off and it was lunchtime traffic all the way. Needle on temp gauge went just into the lower normal temp range marked area on the gauge. Had my eye glued to it the whole way.

Last edited:
I really enjoy your posts.

I feel bad that your car is surrounded with a parking lot full of ugly insect-looking transport pods.

096cfda6-b24a-4cc4-b225-a7f10ba5c5f0-jpeg.jpg

First heat soak tests..... drove to presentation, (design for house on the water modifications was approved without comment... first try) 3.5 miles in early morning traffic.

Then drive to tag agency (10 miles) where $197.80 later.... she was officially commissioned. And no bubbling or boiling.

30 minutes later. Started right back up... a little fast as to the idle, but we’re getting there. Cool A/C thanks to working AutoTemp II set to permanent high auto 65.

Its 90+ degrees outside today.

View attachment 193097

Didn’t go for the blue antique tag as I had this one lying around from one of the more modern cars I sold last year.

DMV Lady who went to verify the VIN said she was beautiful.... and I never argue with the lady from the DMV.

View attachment 193098

Sexy new tail pipe..... opted out of the chrome tip option.

View attachment 193099

15 miles later.... at the office awaiting the end of the day. No bubbling or blow off and it was lunchtime traffic all the way. Needle on temp gauge went just into the lower normal temp range marked area on the gauge. Had my eye glued to it the whole way.

That waterfall grill is so perfect it just catches your eye, and the hide away headlights complete it all - and yes the 'insect-looking transport pods' are growing in number. Hopefully older cars like this Land yacht grow on younger generations of drivers. I think what scares them away are the Carbureted engines and gas mileage. That and these kinds of cars require you to pay attention to the road and know how to drive. They don't do it for you so you can text and tweet. But hey that's part of the entire experience :D. Love your New Yorker though. That Silver on Grey with Red interior is as sharp as can be. Keep showing her off! Never too many pictures.

Last edited:
Found some old paperwork under the spare tonight as i was cleaning out the trunk of spares before showering to go to dinner.

C61B0DAA-CDB3-4936-90B1-AE6AD9FDF641.jpeg

Seems that the 78’s were recalled for “hesitation”. That called for a carb swap among other things. Figured I’d post them for posterity. Enjoy!

E26B491B-DF5A-400A-8077-E2132B2411F6.jpeg

224D0F33-6AD8-4E51-9304-CD91BD0EE333.jpeg

B9525D4D-10CE-4FC0-B97C-1EF8FBFF439B.jpeg

63529143-9C8A-457F-B710-758631F8ED0A.jpeg

54736F07-63AE-48E4-ADFD-4D4C6A5340C2.jpeg

84291C40-A4CB-4EE1-9064-479AE19470DB.jpeg

Took the old girl out to Key Biscayne for dinner with friends.

5F0C7D41-05A7-4225-BF0E-06453D8701EF.jpeg

Evening light becomes her.

Last edited:
Found some old paperwork under the spare tonight as i was cleaning out the trunk of spares before showering to go to dinner.

View attachment 193149

Seems that the 78’s were recalled for “hesitation”. That called for a carb swap among other things. Figured I’d post them for posterity. Enjoy!

View attachment 193150

View attachment 193151

View attachment 193165

View attachment 193166

View attachment 193167

View attachment 193155

View attachment 193156

Does this mean the wife has finally seen her? Or did I miss (forget) the big reveal?

View attachment 193149

View attachment 193150

View attachment 193151

View attachment 193165

View attachment 193166

View attachment 193167

View attachment 193155

View attachment 193156

BTW... the car has the 9180s carb on it. So it was done. It’s an odd number on the master list of carbs.

http://www.retrorarities.com/images/CarterThermoquadInformation.pdf

Back