New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

On my second machinist. First one only builds stock... Pussy. Sent to a more professional builder. Will be more expensive but hopefully worth it.

Been a while my friends and I’ve been very busy.

I’ve managed to get several new projects, started rehab of interior of my home (repairs due to hidden leaks after new roof), mother in law passed, had to get my oldest a new car (2018 VW Tiguan), wife’s Birthday, 27th Anniversary..... more. All since my last post.

Engine builder is now almost done. He align bored the block to 30 over, redid the headS with all new springs and 3 angle valve cut into new hardened seats, Balanced the new assembly of new piston, rods and crank. Had heads cc’d, test fit assembly to confirm no interference... So far, very boring with no issues..... just painfully slow.

engine should be done this week and installed next.

can’t wait!

Last edited:
Been a while my friends and I’ve been very busy.

I’ve managed to get several new projects, started rehab of interior of my home (repairs due to hidden leaks after new roof), mother in law passed, had to get my oldest a new car (2018 VW Tiguan), wife’s Birthday, 27th Anniversary..... more. All since my last post.

Engine builder is now almost done. He align bored the block to 30 over, redo. The head with all new springs and 3 angle valve cut into new hardened seats, Balanced the new assembly of new piston, rods and crank. Had heads cc’d test assembly to confirm no interference... So far, very boring with no issues

engine should be done this week and installed next.

can’t wait!
Glad to hear from you Javier.. sounds like you’ve certainly had your hands full. Condolences on your mother In Laws passing.. but life most go on as you know.
Existed to see the end results on the 440 rebuild. Keep us posted.

I’m that year I found and repaired a crack in the 42 year old bowl. Tracked down the miss at temperature to a leaking head gasket (a suspected cause along with weak lifter which I also found).

Yes it was a year of fiddling with all sorts of things but each time it got a bit better.

And now I just went and pulled the engine
And finally just took care of it.

I’m sure it will now run like it was supposed to... in 1969

And yes, the Thermoquad stays. For now. If I change it, it will be for a Holley sniper which I’ve been reading up on lately.

oh well.

Ok boys and girls and fellow car **** lovers:

Here’s some pictures of the freshly machine and align bored block.

61B92BEC-00A3-489C-A537-2A3D95D4B5E6.jpeg

28E5FEC6-F3D3-4B8B-8D06-D94706F2BB38.jpeg

1CC20234-7829-42EA-A4EA-F1A68A9E7756.jpeg

I'm completely ok with that.

Glad you think so.

it will wipe out the working lean burn....but...

I look upon the Holley Sniper as more of a “Lean Burn II” than an actual fuel injection system.....and would add the “II” to the air cleaner..... just to be honest. As an added logic for the “II” the Sniper system would require the use the original (and recently purchased new) distributor. It’s a very interesting system.

Added benefits would be quicker throttle response (which I doubt) and better gas mileage (I also doubt it can overcome physics). It might make for better highway mileage.... maybe.

Could use the old computer as a place for something like spares or other use (maybe a whiff of oxygenated nitrogen or other similar goody).

My road runner has a vacuum controlled “flap” on the bottom of the base and does reduce restriction by supplementing the stock Air intake “horn”. It adds a great sound to the car under full throttle (which I believe is the main reason it was done). But the extra air allowed into the air cleaner is off the warm engine so it is of dubious help in actually producing more power.

Last edited:
I don't know Javier.... that TQ' s been getting pretty lonely on the shelf, the gremlins were probably tinkering with it the past few months! :rofl:

maybe not... I had just rebuilt it to replace the phenolic bowl recently. I also drained it and gently dried it with some low pressure air before putting it in a bag.

It should be fine.

j

Set them straight.
Although I am having issues with mine.
Changed the fuel filter and now fuel level is too high. I think my pump is overzealous.

Or you’re experiencing the dreaded sinking float disease.... by which I mean... zip kit rebuild time.

More probably..... Your needle(s) may not be seating properly or beginning to leak. Hence; Zip Kit Time!!!

Or you’re experiencing the dreaded sinking float disease.... by which I mean... zip kit rebuild time.

More probably..... Your needle(s) may not be seating properly or beginning to leak. Hence; Zip Kit Time!!!
I took top off and one float was way high, (or low when it's turned over the way you measure). Reset it wondering how it got like that. Took it here and there and on the way back ~40 mile it starts acting poorly again. A few days later same thing, runs bad. Back apart, floats set fine, check epoxy on wells, no leaks. Needle and seats good, soft, smooth, no sticking, clean. Checked the weight on the float <8 grams.
This all started after I changed the fuel filter, the old one was on the car long before the carburetor, and quite full of stuff from tank. Starving the engine about 3/4 of the way through 2nd gear.
I'm going to get a fuel pressure check and see what that leads to. And it's free.

I took top off and one float was way high, (or low when it's turned over the way you measure). Reset it wondering how it got like that. Took it here and there and on the way back ~40 mile it starts acting poorly again. A few days later same thing, runs bad. Back apart, floats set fine, check epoxy on wells, no leaks. Needle and seats good, soft, smooth, no sticking, clean. Checked the weight on the float <8 grams.
This all started after I changed the fuel filter, the old one was on the car long before the carburetor, and quite full of stuff from tank. Starving the engine about 3/4 of the way through 2nd gear.
I'm going to get a fuel pressure check and see what that leads to. And it's free.

Great!

Let us know your results....

I’m curious and have three cars with thermoquads. One of them, the one in the wagon, has not been out in years! Just a little gumout every now and again to keep linkage body and throttle plates clean.

Is the Holley Sniper a set and forget system or do you constantly need to adjust?

Set and forget.

The system learns on the job and calibrates timing, mix and choke setting on initial run and then self adjusts as it goes.... according to the literature.

I’m reading the installation instructions now to see how deep I have to go to make changes to the stock system to install. First big issue is a fuel pump for the required pressure.

Back