New to me 78 NYB on its way but please Don't tell my wife

Tomorrow marks 4 years to the day that I bought this car. Been a very busy 4 years looking back at this thread.

I washed her good and even tried out a new product on it. Ceramic coating “wax”. Spray on wet and buff dry.

Put a Mother’s shine on the wheels and treated the leather to some neatsfoot dressing.

Yesterday afternoon I fixed the switch on the right rear window, overhauled the washer reservoir and pump, and, repaired the driver’s side wiper arm (though I will probably look for a replacement).

here she is for your viewing pleasure and critique…. With and without a hose in the picture.

Merry Christmas to all!

View attachment 504742

View attachment 504744
Damn that is one gorgeous NY er.

Before COVID…..

F0347C07-A516-43DD-939F-8B3CC1912B54.jpeg

after COVID…….

754C53A6-D77B-479D-86A0-8C16F2D7A06E.jpeg

0D159D5A-9C83-43BC-A0BA-48854E82E876.jpeg

3CD9927A-74A5-42B9-BA43-68680C67A7A5.jpeg

31A2387F-F8FE-4E40-90E6-744243286B2C.jpeg

All better now…. 3 day head cold. But I lost most of my sense of smell. I’m thinking my girls brought it home from college although they never got sick. At least I was able to do something between snot attacks that was somewhat productive.

Notes on the rear lock cover:

There are two different styles of bases. A deep one ( which I committed to when I drilled the mounting holes) and a more flush version. The bases have different mounting stud locations besides being of different depth.

This little project started by coincidence with fellow member John’s (75LandYacht) request for the rubber body gasket template I made for my installation of my cover plate. He was installing one on his car about a week after I had ordered this particular cover.

I ordered mine because this one didn’t have the acrylic over the shield. I had been wanting to make one to match the front hood ornament and rest of the emblems. Also, the red works with the interior and the caps on the new wheels to bring it all together….. I think at least.

And because everyone gets what they want for Christmas, the body seal which came with the new cover, found a new home.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
There are two different styles of bases. A deep one ( which I committed to when I drilled the mounting holes) and a more flush version. The bases have different mounting stud locations besides being of different depth.
Wait a minute. You're leaving me with a cliffhanger.
Two different bases.
What went where when.
Elaborate.

Wait a minute. You're leaving me with a cliffhanger.
Two different bases.
What went where when.
Elaborate.
The thicker base one is on the car. it was installed early in the process of restoring the car.

The thinner base one was the one I bought to restore the rotating emblem cover plate as it did not have an acrylic over the central Shield and I could restore it more easily. After cleaning and painting I then cast clear acrylic resin onto the shield to protect it.

Both rotating emblem cover plates are the same and interchangeable. Only the bases are different as to depth and mounting stud locations.

Last edited:
The fuel guage sender unit seems to be failing. Not reading right and going to almost empty all by itself. I grounded the connection at the tank to test the guage and it appears to be working fine and showing past full when grounded. Checked the connection at the tank and it it well grounded and the plug is making good contact.

ordered a new sending unit with two connection pipes.

I’ll need the other for the return from the sniper…..

The fuel guage sender unit seems to be failing. Not reading right and going to almost empty all by itself. I grounded the connection at the tank to test the guage and it appears to be working fine and showing past full when grounded. Checked the connection at the tank and it it well grounded and the plug is making good contact.

ordered a new sending unit with two connection pipes.

I’ll need the other for the return from the sniper…..
Javier. If I can make a recommendation, I having just done this to my 77 a month ago. Buy a new seal gasket for the neck, I got mine off eBay, only a few bucks, use a little soap when installing the neck into the new gasket. Just makes it a little easier to slide in. Use a Scotch-Brite pad as pictured to clean the neck up prior to installation.
658AB9D4-1EC4-430E-B0ED-F2EB029E8738.jpeg
E8284760-D6CD-4E4B-B89D-19BD80150744.jpeg
AF1F030D-1C33-4DB4-84B8-622F98A52C08.jpeg

Javier. If I can make a recommendation, I having just done this to my 77 a month ago. Buy a new seal gasket for the neck, I got mine off eBay, only a few bucks, use a little soap when installing the neck into the new gasket. Just makes it a little easier to slide in. Use a Scotch-Brite pad as pictured to clean the neck up prior to installation.
View attachment 507771 View attachment 507772 View attachment 507773
Recommendations are why I post. Thanks. That’s a good one. Did you have to drop the tank to change the sender? I’m thinking yes.

Recommendations are why I post. Thanks. That’s a good one. Did you have to drop the tank to change the sender? I’m thinking yes.
Yes sir. It’s real easy. Drain the tank as much as you can, if not it’s very heavy and the tank is unstable when lowering. Spray some penetration oil on the strap bolts, because they’ve been in there 40+ years, they don’t wanna play nice. Use a floor jack or the like to support the tank then slowly lower, about halfway down you’ll be able to pull the fuel neck out. Also unplug the sending unit wire and disconnect the fuel and return line.. curse a bit and have some patients and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Hi guys it’s been a while….

Yes I’m still alive and the same pigheaded person you remember.

Case in point…. 78 NYB 440. I had it rebuilt and it ran like ****. Couldn’t find reason to save my soul. Took it apart to check it and everything was just fine.

Except, pushrods.

Decided to put adjustable rockers in and do some measuring.

With adjusters all the way open. The pushrods in it were tight as hell. Taking a measurement (wag) I came up with about an 1/8 of an inch difference between what I had and what I may need.

Any advice here is appreciated.

E04174AF-A435-4BE1-A841-EB06EC4CA5C9.jpeg

Adjustable rockers in
5DD3A60D-B8E8-4C45-9DF9-0DF2180069EF.jpeg

New pushrods v one that came from machine shop.
A84073AA-9D77-4794-B359-79206F2621B0.jpeg

Time to change the spheres in “that FRENCH car”
9F25197E-66B5-441D-A931-DBC59E709664.jpeg

Amazing 3 bolt fenders.
40447D03-456A-4322-BBE3-ADF4CC5C1F81.jpeg

First I had to clean to find leak… as suspected it was the brake accumulator. You can barely make it out in this picture.
6A09D210-F75F-4456-9CCB-26800DAF5AA7.jpeg

New sexy rocker arms on the 440.
68DAE43E-6B7D-4E89-A21E-A899E0FB01D0.jpeg

Couldn’t drive it and too cheap to tow it so I just did it in my driveway. Note hose and rubber mallet.

Last edited:
Hello Gentlemen….

Been very busy with work. Two biggish projects to design and another on the way and about to start. But I managed a bit of time to get back to the NYB.

Hope everyone I know here had a good holiday. I will reach out to you guys later.

Engine back together now, is in and runs ok…. Not missing. Adjusting the rocker/pushrods was very messy business. My mechanic decided to install an Edelbroc carb while I wasn’t looking for the test run and adjustment as he had no idea about the Thermoquad…. He also reconnected the lean burn ignition which worked well.

But the vibration at 1200 and 2000 rpm was still there and the same as before. Last chance before I threw it all out…. I thought perhaps as a final thought that the Torque converter may be wrong or bad. Took a while but was able to source a good one to try out my long shot theory.

Changed out the torque converter and boom! Vibration is now Gone!

I am pigheaded ….. never give up. Still learning.

So with engine good… time to install the sniper! I’ll start a new thread on that tomorrow as it just arrived this afternoon

8369BCF1-7AC2-45B1-9FFC-6A5E15E0D66F.jpeg

Here’s the engine back in and running before I changed out the torque converter

Very happy day!

You will notice I also gave up on the Mopar NOS wires as they are NLA at anything like a decent price. Went with accell wires bright yellow. Work well.

Last edited:
Hello Gentlemen….

Been very busy with work. Two biggish projects to design and another on the way and about to start. But I managed a bit of time to get back to the NYB.

Hope everyone I know here had a good holiday. I will reach out to you guys later.

Engine back together now, is in and runs ok…. Not missing. Adjusting the rocker/pushrods was very messy business. My mechanic decided to install an Edelbroc carb while I wasn’t looking for the test run and adjustment as he had no idea about the Thermoquad…. He also reconnected the lean burn ignition which worked well.

But the vibration at 1200 and 2000 rpm was still there and the same as before. Last chance before I threw it all out…. I thought perhaps as a final thought that the Torque converter may be wrong or bad. Took a while but was able to source a good one to try out my long shot theory.

Changed out the torque converter and boom! Vibration is now Gone!

I am pigheaded ….. never give up. Still learning.

So with engine good… time to install the sniper! I’ll start a new thread on that tomorrow as it just arrived this afternoon

View attachment 578513
Here’s the engine back in and running before I changed out the torque converter

Very happy day!

You will notice I also gave up on the Mopar NOS wires as they are NLA at anything like a decent price. Went with accell wires bright yellow. Work well.
Great news. Quick question, I assume you had that vibration at idle? Driving too? Thanks.

Thats sounds like a VERY expensive roundabout way to a few hundred dollar converter. lol, but when ya don't know what ya dont know! it's money well spent because you'll NEVER have to wonder or worry about the condition of the motor..
If I add up ALL the money I've spent on my NYB! Id probably wanna jump off the Brooklyn Bridge.. :rolleyes:

Looking VERY forward to your Sniper Thread Javier, I wanna do the same with mine but am torn between the Sniper and Eddy ProFlow4 system..

Nail Biter....:wideyed:

Back